Hey Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Everyone!

Hello BOC Members! My name is Patrick, I'm from BC Canada, and I've just bought a 1988 Bayliner Trophy 2159. I've had a few boats in the past but this boat will be my next 10-year boat. I am very looking forward to refinishing her to the best condition possible and am grateful and thankful for all the future help and support!

A little about the boat:

-Re-powered in 2004 with a 305 OMC/Cobra Drive
    -9.9 Suzuki Kicker
    -1206 hours on hull, 330 on motor (new crate not rebuilt)
    -Solid hull and transom (always kept dry)
    -Custom Aluminum Swim grid

The boat currently runs really well. There certainly needs some upgrades to be done to the electronics (previous owner did a decent job, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to electrical and will be re-wiring most of the boat), and it really needs a good clean and polish. I will be looking to repaint the hull this upcoming winter. The interior needs new cushions, captains chair, and carpet/headliner but all things I am comfortable doing myself.

I will certainly be posting questions and advice topics to see what you have all done.

Thank you!
    1988 Bayliner Trophy 2159
    Re-powered 305 OMC
    Needs a little lovin'

Welcome to the site! Looks like it needs a lot of TLC but it should clean up nicely! Would love to see pictures of the engine bay.
    Wayne,
    Formerly-Fish-a-Palooza

Washington State, Salish Sea, Everett

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
    1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
    1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

• BC2159
      BC2159 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Seahawk! I'll have more pics coming up shortly! Thanks

Welcome! Where are you in BC? It kind of a big place. I’m interested in the 10 year comment. Is that a negotiated commitment? What is the vision for ten years from now? I’m just giving you a rough time. Again, Welcome!
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• BC2159
      BC2159 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Pcpete, I'm in the lower mainland, Port Coquitlam to be exact. And lol, the vision from 10 years from now is a Trawler that I would be comfortable taking to Alaska or Mexico by myself or with company. 40' Nordhaven type trawler. But until then, I'd like to make this boat my own, finish it up the way I want to use it, make it practical and comfortable and well, as reliable as a boat CAN be lolol. I've had a few single or double season boats that I've made more reliable and upgraded and sold, but I'd like to spend more time with this one and enjoy it for a longer period of time (that's the optimist in me speaking btw haha).

• Pcpete
      Pcpete commented
      Editing a comment
      My dad had a condo at the Gilnetter on Argue Street. He kept his 1923 retired Purse Seiner out front and was great friends with the folks at Harken Towing.

• BC2159
      BC2159 commented
      Editing a comment
      No way! Small world! Been there quite a few times now, really cool place, great fish and chips lol.

Same boat as mine, except mine is an 89. Panel layout is different, as is the seat on the left. I redid my interior thanks to Sailrite.com with their fantastic video's. My transom was rotten, they rot from the inside from bilge water. The hole for the drainplug is very poorly sealed, as are the drain tubes through the stringers. I see your stove top is missing. I resealed the windows, rubrail and every piece of deck hardware, they all leaked. Rebuilt the bowpulpit, replaced the icebox with a fridge and installed solar panels and a Lithium battery for the house which required a small modification of the electrical system.
    I also installed an Android car stereo which runs Navionics and a Sonarphone wireles sonar.

1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
    5.8L OMC Cobra
    2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Hey Metrodriver Thanks for the post! Yeah I'm going to search through the forums here shortly to see what people have done to their interiors on the 2159. For some reason I cannot get my head around this layout lol. The Port side bench makes a great place to lay down, but that's about it. I really want to be able to entertain 4-6 people total on the boat so I'm not sure if I should convert that bench into a useable bench for lets say 4-6 people facing starboard, or if I should cut out the middle section of that bench to create a table like setup. Of the table like setups I've seen, surely you're not fitting 6 ppl of course but 4 would do. I do not plan on using the berth under that bench for anyone including myself, so might as well make it useful for storage and ancillaries ie. washdown pumps (there are some already at the aft end of that berth) and lithium batteries and electronic gear (future modification, as any weight I add to the boat I'd like to add bow-forward as much as possible as I feel the 305 is heavy AF in the aft-end to begin with (just my 2 cents). I'm really looking forward to making some progress but those sorts of modifications will be next year/winter as I am focusing on making it mechanically and electrically safe to take other poeple on the water for now. I have an idea that I want to use this boat to entertain as well as crab and fish. Knowing that no boat can really do all that perfectly, I'd be happy with entertaining reasonably comfortably, and fishing practically as well. I won't be hosting outrageous parties on the boat, nor entering into any fishing tournaments either. Just a decent all-around-er. Any idea/advice in advance is incredibly grateful
      Re-powered 305 OMC
      Needs a little lovin'

Comment

Also, if anyone who owns a 2159 or 2359 in the late 80's early 90's era in BC, Canada or Pacific North West US, I'd love to come take a look at your boat. It's worth a case of beer/fishing supplies/fuel money to me to see your boats and how they are setup mechanically/electrically/interior+exterior wise. I have a blank canvas to work with so to speak and I'd really appreciate some inspiration. I could also feature you on my super-new Youtube Channel "Tricity Boating" if y'all are up for it haha
        Re-powered 305 OMC
        Needs a little lovin'

Comment

And if anyone here is so inclined, I have my latest video walkaround up on Youtube now and likes and subscribes are very appreciated! As well as all the advice and suggestions!

Re-powered 305 OMC
          Needs a little lovin'

Comment

I have seen the 2159 with seats facing each other with a (removable) table in the middle, or with an aft-facing seat for fishing. I cannot seat 4 people at the table, unless they are small. I do intend to use the area under my seats (your bench) as sleeping area. I can fit in it easily, at 6 ft tall. The only thing there is the drinking water tank. My 2 batteries live under the fridge, a lead-acid start battery and a LiFePO4 house battery. I believe the original single battery location was under the lid of the right side live-well. It had a seperate key-lockable cover. There is a pump in there that empties out the cockpit or the fish boxes. I put in Atwood adjustable water aerator spray heads, that way I can keep a tank dry or pump only one empty.
            1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
            5.8L OMC Cobra
            2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
            Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

I just watched your video. The bowpulpit on mine was waterlogged, water would enter through the bolt holes for the anchor roller bracket, through the bolt holes mounting it to the deck, and through bad sealant. I cut it open and replaced the wood with Coosaboard. It had corroded the wiring for the bow light so far that it completely fell apart. In order to work on it I made a v-shaped cut in the bulkhead and made it a door, now the anchor fits there (see picture).
              Your blower fan is more than likely powered from a 3-position accessory switch on your panel, it has a low and high speed position. On mine the motor was seized from water leaking through the bolts that hold the window frames down.
              I did move the hinges of the engine cover to the rear and installed lift struts, see pictures, there is also a post on it in one of the forums.
              I also wanted to install foldable seats on the transom facing forward. I do have a porta potty that lives under a key-stone pillow in the v-berth. But, It is small and I have been tinkering with the idea of putting a real toilet on the left side deck right behind the seat, with a curtain for privacy. Right below there is a space for a waste tank.
              The monkey fur is grey, I washed mine with simple green, a brush and a pressure washer. Just be careful with acrylic / plexiglass as simple green will scratch it.

My engine is a OMC Cobra (Ford) 351/5.8L.
              1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
              5.8L OMC Cobra
              Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Working...
              X