Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transome saver for element e16

Hello,

I’m new to the boating world. I just got a element e16 and I wanted to get some recommendations for transome saver for this specific boat. I’m looking between the motormate, dd26 or the extreme max transome saver. I don’t have the boat yet so I wanted to know if the motor mate or dd26 actually fit. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Santimano View Post
    Hello,

I’m new to the boating world. I just got a element e16 and I wanted to get some recommendations for transome saver for this specific boat. I’m looking between the motormate, dd26 or the extreme max transome saver. I don’t have the boat yet so I wanted to know if the motor mate or dd26 actually fit. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    does the boat you are referring to have an outdrive or an outboard?.... outdrives dont need transom savers.

transom savers can be helpful for older boats with outboards hanging on them, due to the springy nature of some outboard transoms, and the bouncy nature of an outboard tilted up and roosting over the springy transom....

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

No it has is an outboard engine that is hooked up to the boat.

thanks.

Comment

I use the m-y wedge for my big yamahas. I don't use one for my E-18 because I can tilt the motor almost all the way down on the trailer and still have plenty of ground clearance. Not sure about the e-16, but if you can tilt the motor down into the operating position and have sufficient ground clearance then you don't need a wedge.

You can use a 2x4 in a pinch, and some people use them regularly.

I would steer clear of any device that connects the motor to the trailer, because you can have relative movement which would then get directly transferred to the motor mounts and tilt mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
          I use the m-y wedge for my big yamahas. I don't use one for my E-18 because I can tilt the motor almost all the way down on the trailer and still have plenty of ground clearance. Not sure about the e-16, but if you can tilt the motor down into the operating position and have sufficient ground clearance then you don't need a wedge.

You can use a 2x4 in a pinch, and some people use them regularly.

I would steer clear of any device that connects the motor to the trailer, because you can have relative movement which would then get directly transferred to the motor mounts and tilt mechanism.
          a wedge isnt the same as a transom saver...

the transom saver rests near the anticav plate, and the other end rests in the drain plug hole, then you either power down a bit to lock it in place, of strap the motor down so that it cant bounce on the transom of the boat..

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Santimano View Post
            No it has is an outboard engine that is hooked up to the boat.

thanks.
            any universal transom saver will work... or you can make your own...

a lot of people dont use them....

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post

a wedge isnt the same as a transom saver...

the transom saver rests near the anticav plate, and the other end rests in the drain plug hole, then you either power down a bit to lock it in place, of strap the motor down so that it cant bounce on the transom of the boat..
              A wedge is not the same as many transom savers, which is why I choose the wedge. MANY transom savers connect to the lower unit on one end, and the TRAILER on the other end, and those are bad IMO. They all seek to prevent the tilted motor from bouncing and putting forces on the transom that the transom is not designed for. One that supports the LU on one end and the drain plug hole on the other end might be OK, as long as it doesn't pull out or damage the seal in the drain plug housing......

Comment

• Centerline2
                Centerline2 commented
                Editing a comment
                im curious as to how your wedge fit the motor to eliminate the bounce...
                ive seen wedges used to prevent the outdrive from bleeding down (which is not a normal thing to happen anyway) but mostly to prevent the motor from slamming down on a "non power tilt" unit, in the event the bouncing should cause the tilt lock lever to disengage...

6104696 commented
                Editing a comment
                I am loathe to quote advertising materials but the video on the website shows how it works and how it replaces an "LU to trailer" transom saver.

https://m-ywedge.com/

I will let you form your own opinion on whether or not you think it works, but on the numerous motors that I have used it on, a little bit of downforce to compress the wedge stops any and all bouncing. When I trailered my first V6 Yamaha home years ago without one it was bouncing all over the place, and that boat sat low so the motor needed to be tilted up considerably on the road. I was afraid that I broke the damn thing before I ever got it home.....(I didn't)...even though I did exactly what the clueless dealer told me to do.

IMO, if equipped with hydraulic trim use nothing. Way more force is applied to your transom during normal boating operation than it’ll ever see bouncing down the highway.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
              X