Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge Annual Costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge Annual Costs?

Hello All! I'm thinking of buying a 2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge. I have never owned more than a kayak before and I'm looking for help understanding the ongoing costs. I plan to save some money by keeping it at a mooring at my local municipal marina..which is $13/ft.....so that's about $400. A slip at private marinas where I am in NY seems to be about $45/ft for the summer so I'd rather go with the mooring. I would rather not have to pay for winter storage so I was considering buying a trailer and storing it in my driveway in the off season. Looking at Ebay, etc I think the trailer should be about $4,000. Winterizing the single inboard appears to be about $400. The shrink wrap is about $900 so I'm thinking of using just a tarp. Insurance at 1.5% of the value (purchase price should be around 30k) is $450. I read on another forum here that the 288 cruises at 2 miles per gallon so I understand that cost. That's what I have so far....any comments would definitely be appreciated.....especially regarding any large routine costs, maintenance or otherwise, I'm missing. Thanks!

Between maintenance, moorage fees, gas, insurance, etc our 28’ boat ran on average about $10,000/ year in an inexpensive year. That is putting on about 100 hours and a lot of time on the hook. Of course there can be some big additional expenses in a more expensive year and the more you use it, well the more gas you use but the better the value you are getting out of it. Was it worth it? Well just get up on a calm morning with a fresh coffee anchored in a beautiful bay somewhere and you will look at it as a bargain.
    Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

Comment

No disrespect intended, but that type of boat may not be for you. It's almost impossible to forecast the costs. I did own a 2000 2858 for 7 years though. Purchase price minus selling price, plus other maintenance, upgrades and repairs, that boat cost me almost $5,000 per year average to own it. NOT counting fuel, moorage and insurance, costs of using it... But yes, we really did enjoy it!
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "GetAway"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I have a similar hull, an 01 2859 that sits on a trailer and i launch about an hour away every Fri/sat and pull back home every Sunday. Storage costs 0.00. I keep it under a tarp that's attached to one end of my metal garage. We rarely get snow this far south and it never lasts long. My boat is diesel so I usually burn more diesel towing with my vehicle to and from the lake than I do running on the lake.

i do all my own repairs short of an outdrive rebuid.

I just got it in June. Since then i have

Upgraded the gps/chart plotter
        Repaired several shower drain leaks
        Upgraded all bulbs to LED
        replaced 2 non functional cockpit light fixtures
        Refinished flaky fiberglass vhf antenna that kept giving me splinters.
        replaced 2 all round lights thanks to low hanging trees
        Replaced non functional remote spot light
        added air conditioning
        Changed fuel filters
        Repaired broken over flow nipple on heat exchanger
        tightened loose alternator belt
        New prop
        Changed trim pump fluid
        changed outdrive oil
        Made pump out system to pump out the holding tank at local camper/rv pump station
        upgraded radio
        Hunted down and replaced faulty starboard side nav light that kept killing batteries
        resealed both large cabin windows.
        Pulled and resealed front half of rain gutter around hard top.
        found and repaired a few injector lines that were weeping a little fuel around connections.
        replaced battery selector switch that only ran on 1 or both, 2 didnt work.
        Replaced wash down pressue hose that blew out.
        filled in some holes in the swim platfrom the PO used to mount a hair tank. Removed all the hoses the PO used to circulate/fill the bait tank and mounted a quick disconnect flush mount wash down hose thru hull. Made the platfrom look neat and clean again.
        several window black out screens had the snaps missing, I replaced them.
        had a plastic bilge pump drain thru hull brake off clean just washing the hull off.
        im sure I am forgetting plenty more
        Installed shower/ac condenser drain catch pan so i keep water out of bilge.

Still need to pull and reseal the bow rail bases, have a few to replace as well.

If I had to pay a shop to do that is have lost days if not weeks of boat use due to back log and hundreds if not thousands in labor.
        much of that isnt even regular maintenance, just making a new to me boat more usable for my family or addressing small wear and tear age related issues.

if you can't do the work yourself you need to have revseve funds to pay someone else to take care of issues when they arrive. Or have a good dock neighbor who likes to tinker and works for beer and food.

Comment

Sergio - I think, from personal experience, that some of your assumptions are a little off. I'm located on Long Island, NY - not sure what part of NY you're from. In any event, my local town marina charges $65/ft for a slip from Mar 15-Nov 15. Docking behind a private home will run you about $50/ft. As for winter storage, if you have room at your house, forget about buying trailer - use a transporter and buy cinderblocks and jackstands. A haul in either direction via transporter will cost approx $250 depending how far you are from the marina. Having it Shrinkwrapped runs about $350. Insurance (@ $45000 valuation) runs approx $850. I have an '05 288 CB that I have listed for sale on CL. I sent you a PM earlier. Contact me if you like
          Ted
          2005 288 Command Bridge
          350 Mag MPI / BRAVO III

Every Day Is Saturday

Comment

I've always used 10% of the boat's value as the yearly cost to own which is a pretty good starting point, for a boat like this I'd go a bit more. I think Jeff's figure of 5k feels about right (If you're lucky) - in addition to the regular costs that you mentioned like winterizing, oil changes etc you also have to put away a bit each year for larger mechanical / cosmetic projects such as upholstery, canvas, manifolds/risers, outdrive service (replacement eventually) and even eventually engine overhaul.
            1998 Bayliner 2858
            7.4L MPI / Bravo III
            Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback. The comments really opened my eyes. I may need to downsize my dream a bit!

Comment

Have you or your family ever weekended together on a boat? I think the 2858/2859/288/289 was a home run design from bayliner and an amazing platfrom boat...but it takes a special type of person/family to be weekend aboard boaters.

Comment

Another consideration is, I highly doubt a 288 is getting 2 mpg unless its a diesel.
                  "REEL WILD"
                  2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                  Anchorage, Alaska
                  If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Working...
                  X