Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner from Wisconsin

Good evening,

First time boater and new member. My wife and I recently purchased a 2020 VR5 and can't wait to enjoy water sports with the family and friends!
    2020 Bayliner VR5 I/O
    200HP 4.5L MerCruiser / Alpha 1 Outdrive

Welcome! You AND your Admiral need to learn how to operate your boat in a safe and prudent manor. Take classes on basic navigation and rules of the road at a minimum. Get with some friends who have boats to help you both learn how to dock and leave a dock under all sorts of conditions. You want any maneuvering to be routine with communication using your inside voice and routine. A field trip to the boat ramp on a Saturday afternoon is not only entertaining, but also instructional. Of course YouTube has some great examples of ramp fails. Remember this: Respect the water and the environment you are going to relax in. The wrong series of events can easily be tragic.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Welcome to BOC.

We love our VR5.

I suggest you get a spare tire for the trailer if that is not already on your "to do" list.

Enjoy your summer with your brand new boat!
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Thanks guys,

My son, wife and I are going through https://www.boat-ed.com/ this week before we pick it up. Pile this on top of the hours of youtube videos I have watched, we should be set for safe navigation.

Pcpete and vr5200; Quick question, while I was researching what boat to buy, it appeared that Bayliner had quite the negative connotation. Does the VR5 live up to this negative connotation or does it break the mold a bit and is actually a well built boat?
        2020 Bayliner VR5 I/O

Comment

Mizgo

The old reputation was partially due to a period of time when they routinely glued carpet on top of plywood for the interior deck of the boat.

Unless the owner was fastidious about letting the floor dry …...and not leaving the boat outside without a cover...……….the decking would rot......and then the stringers beneath them.

Those methods are not used anymore.

Your VR5 has a fiberglass liner and no wood is used for the stringers......it also has a self bailing cockpit which is really nice.

The VR5's and VR6's are great designs and should last a long time.

Be sure to follow the engine break in procedure properly.

That will ensure the engine will give you many years of reliable service.

I know how much you want to hit the gas and do all kinds of stuff...…………..but the first few outings need to focus on proper engine break in.

Which engine do you have?

Comment

Ok, good to know about the reliability. I was really starting to have buyers remorse about making the wrong decision on brand for a first boat

This one has the I/O, Standard 4.5L 200HP Mercruiser w/ Alpha 1 out drive.

I think that will be the most difficult part, having restraint to not abuse the engine during the first 10-20 hours.

I have reviewed the engine break in procedure already and it doesn't seem too bad. My biggest concern right now is the item about minimizing idle below 1500rpm, one of the lakes I plan to frequent has a number of channels where no wake is required and some are fairly long.

Has anyone on this forum done any custom work with LED's? I love to tinker with stuff, stock is never good enough I can't wait to get the vessel view module!

This could be a very expensive hobby!
            2020 Bayliner VR5 I/O

Comment

VesselView Mobile is an awesome system.

You will enjoy it.

Sounds like you have actually taken the time to read the materials provided with the boat.

The manual even covers maintenance procedures.

Walmart has good prices on quarts Quicksilver (Mercury marine) lower unit lube and 25w-40 oil in the sporting goods department.

Shop around for the gallon prices on the 25w-40.....and try to get the synthetic blend.....that is listed as being at the top of the food chain.

If you can change the oil on your car, you can do it on your boat.....but you will need to buy a special pump to pull out engine oil as well as the little pump to pump the lube in the lower unit.

YouTube is your friend! There are several videos out there on those 2 procedures.

Comment

Good to know! I will investigate the process a bit, thanks for the recommendation!

Yes, my wife thinks I am bit crazy, I have already heard my wife's now famous argument point of 'Why can't you just leave something the way it was intended'. Hah
                2020 Bayliner VR5 I/O

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
                  Mizgo

The old reputation was partially due to a period of time when they routinely glued carpet on top of plywood for the interior deck of the boat.

Unless the owner was fastidious about letting the floor dry …...and not leaving the boat outside without a cover...……….the decking would rot......and then the stringers beneath them.

Those methods are not used anymore.

Your VR5 has a fiberglass liner and no wood is used for the stringers......it also has a self bailing cockpit which is really nice.

The VR5's and VR6's are great designs and should last a long time.

Be sure to follow the engine break in procedure properly.

That will ensure the engine will give you many years of reliable service.

I know how much you want to hit the gas and do all kinds of stuff...…………..but the first few outings need to focus on proper engine break in.

Which engine do you have?
                  quick question....at what point / year did that manufacturing process of using wood decking end do you know? Asking for my 2012 185...

Lake Hartwell, GA
                  2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                  1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                  1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                  1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                  1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                  1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                  1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                  1996 SeaDoo GTX
                  1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by RobMick View Post

quick question....at what point / year did that manufacturing process of using wood decking end do you know? Asking for my 2012 185...
                    I do not know.

My 1998 had the plywood "encapsulated" with resin and then the indoor/outdoor carpet was glued to the deck and up the sides of the interior.

I have a completely wild and off the cuff guess...……….if you have glued down carpet, then there is most likely wood underneath.

I even had carpet glued to the seat bases on each side.

There are many pictures out there (including at BOC) of people doing deck repairs and they show the deck and the wooden boxes that the seats sit on.

If they had gone to the expense of using a fiberglass deck (with a non skid pattern) they would have been proud to display it.

Interior shot of my 1998...………………….

Click image for larger version

Name:	bayliner 1998 capri 1950 OURS  interior view facing forward .jpg
Views:	39
Size:	705.4 KB
ID:	590481

Comment

• RobMick
                      RobMick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Really like the dark colored carpet to accent the blue....certainly not a deal breaker on my end as the boat is always covered, not much activity of wet people coming back into the boat...can’t wait until the new dock arrives in November to get the toys out of the water....the waterline growth and discoloration is killing me..

Click image for larger version

Name:	3B743BC4-593E-4B02-901E-BADB5B343228.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	590852Click image for larger version

Name:	187368A8-8C57-4ED3-80C5-436A7FA7D4B5.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	590853Click image for larger version

Name:	187368A8-8C57-4ED3-80C5-436A7FA7D4B5.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	590850Click image for larger version

Name:	4F355497-5E5F-4AFE-9BCE-9A5094F08966.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	590851 A couple of pics of a similar dock that we ordered....our will be 2 slip, both with boat hoists, also (6) jet ski drive on hoists and “max” size allowed per the US Army Corps of Engineers who manage the lake and it’s shoreline....what a racket down here with these docks...
                    Lake Hartwell, GA
                    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                    1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                    1996 SeaDoo GTX
                    1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

• vr5200