New here - hopefully future boat owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here - hopefully future boat owner

Hi. I’m new here and looking at purchasing a pre-owned fishing boat. It will mainly be freshwater in the PNW (Oregon). Never owned a boat and trying to learn what I need to look for. My plan was to find something in my budget, go look at it and if I liked it would want to be taken out on water and have marine service mechanic look at it. Right now looking at 2000 Bayliner Capri.

Mercury 120 17 foot open bow. Clean. Comes with 1 tube 1 knee bored one set of adults skis 1set of child's skis has a fin for faster plane. Comes with speakers. Handfull of life jakets. The boat was last serviced 3 year's ago (This concerned me). I would have to add fishing rod pole holders.

any insights to help educate a newbie is appreciated.

I have hired some local fishing guides to take me out to learn the local spots.

thanks much

Erik

Welcome Erik! I have no experience with a Capri but it looks like a fun little boat. Operative word here is “little”. Personally I’d br going larger if at all possible.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Welcome aboard Erik. Not familiar with the Capri, but Bayliners are good boats. If the boat is in good condition, has been well maintained, and the survey you indicated is positive then there is no reason not to buy it provided it meets your boating expectations. As you indicated fresh water use I suspect you are referring to lakes/rivers and not the open ocean off the coast of the PNW which I have read can be pretty rough on smaller boats. You will get good advice here from lots of folks with experience in that neck of the woods. Take your time and if you do buy enjoy your boating.
      2004 Monterey 282 Cruiser
      Twin Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-E
      SX-M 1.6gr Outdrives
      Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

• erikdg
        erikdg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Yes, I mean mostly lakes and rivers.

Having an outside marine mechanic inspect the boat is a great idea.

Besides mechanical stuff, they can also advise you on things like soft transoms and floors.

Do you know why the 3 years of gap in the service?

Has the boat been sitting for 3 years?
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Trying to find out.

Comment

Working...
        X