• Show
Clear All

• mariopepper
    replied
    I doubt that it's possible to find similar details for such an old boat

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    You can get the old tank out with a sawzall, it’s getting the new one in that’s the challenge. Look at it as the perfect time to real good cleaning up of the engine room.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Being he disconnected it and was using portable tanks the safe bet is it’s leaking and needs to be replaced. Yup as you suspected no easy way to replace without pulling the engine and cutting structure around it. The Severn is filled with lots of boats all sizes but plenty of big ones that stir up the river. You may want to look at either the Magothy or Bodkin. I’m up on Middle River.

Leave a comment:

• themccrady
    replied
    Thank you all. I am now on the hunt for a wet slip to store the boat closer to my house. I guess I would consider myself an Anne Arundel County resident. I started to scope out more marinas along the Severn river. Does anyone have experience with refurbishing an old fuel tank? the 100+ tank on board has been disconnected, and im not sure how to test it to see if its any good or not. It doeskin look like it would be easy to pull from the engine room without pulling the engine first. Right now there are a couple of portable tanks that the former skipper was using. He mainly used it to putt around the bay at 5-7 knots, and fishing. My dream is to use the boat as a floating cabin that we can take on adventures around the Chesapeake bay. I would also like to get into some recreational crabbing and fishing.

Leave a comment:

• mike 3888
    replied
    Welcome we are new to BOC and have nothing but great things to say about the forum itself but also the support you will find from all the other BOC members!

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Jeff, welcome aboard! You’ve made one good decision for networking, joining the BOC. I can’t stress strongly enough getting a boaters education card and continuing that knowledge. The USCG and Power Squadron are excellent sources not only to learn, but share that knowledge with others. There are also all types of yacht clubs and boating clubs that offer all types of participation and there are often local discount offers. Find a group that you and your family are comfortable with. Many offer cruises at levels from full catered, byow to minimally organized, byoe. Very few boaters of experience will consider and question to be without merit.
    Most of the hard parts, cleats, rails, hatches, wiper motors, etc are off the shelf. Some, like gauges, were made by Faria Beedie and are standard units except for a custom nameplate.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Doubt you’ll find a source of used parts for a boat this age unless you find someone scrapping one out. Then again other than trim I wouldn’t install used items such as thru hulls, ...

What area of Baltimore are you in?

Leave a comment:

• themccrady
    started a topic Hello from Baltimore!

Hello from Baltimore!

Hello Friends,

I just purchased a 1983 Bayliner Contessa from a guy that's moving overseas. I have no idea what I'm getting into, but I look forward to this summer ! I enjoy DIY projects, and would love to find a source for some of the worn plastic parts, trim, through hulls, etc.. Do any of you have a good source, and any pointers ? I know that I want new batteries, zincs, and bottom paint.

Best,

Jeff
Working...
X