Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verboatn
    replied
    Jeff, I own a 1999 3685 Avanti with Horizons! I would be glad to answer any questions I can for you. I am very happy with my purchase. I have owned the boat for two years up on Lake Erie.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff beauch View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, there is not a lot of information on the 3685, I have been on several sites with little information, that s why I attempted to seek any information on this site, I have a survey scheduled, shipping quotes, going over maintenance records. For those who are concerned, I’ve been boating since I was young, (I’m 58) and have completed charting courses, boaters safety certification course. Having cleared that up, I was hoping to hear from someone that has owned this model to see how the boat performs with merc 380 horizons, Thank you
    There weren't too many 3685s made, so specific advice may be hard to get. If you haven't done so already, use the search function in this site and search for 3685. Also search for Avanti. An alternative is to use a search engine like Google and search for the same terms plus baylinerownersclub. This will result in a lot of hits on this site. Then you may want to send a private message to any 3685 owners that you find in the site.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    There was a member of our yacht club that had one. To say they were inexperienced would be a complement, but they were learning fast. There were questions about what does this switch do and I can’t seem to get this to come on, but the best was at Union Steamship Marina on Bowen Island, BC. There was a group of us, around 25 boats, on our Yacht Club Commodores Cruise when the skipper, who shall remain nameless, began a search for a marine plumber...on a Sunday. The vacuflush wasn’t working and he had zero knowledge of the system. Suddenly he had a bunch of members on his boat going through the system. It seems that the waste hose from the toilet to the tank was almost completely clogged with TP and the stuff that goes with it. Those guys cleaned out the hose and it was impressive how much stuff they too out of that hose. That’s real friendship.
    As to performance, I think that was a diesel boat so it’s going to be different.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff beauch
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies, there is not a lot of information on the 3685, I have been on several sites with little information, that s why I attempted to seek any information on this site, I have a survey scheduled, shipping quotes, going over maintenance records. For those who are concerned, I’ve been boating since I was young, (I’m 58) and have completed charting courses, boaters safety certification course. Having cleared that up, I was hoping to hear from someone that has owned this model to see how the boat performs with merc 380 horizons, Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Island Eddie
    replied
    Centerline2 commented
    Yesterday, 06:30 PM
    many boaters/people are vague. only experience and a conscience can make one informed.... those that have the experience but without a conscience are usually considered to be ignorant, and there are a lot of ignorant boaters out there as well... being vague is better than being ignorant.

I didn't mean my reply to appear harsh, it just that it struck me in a odd way that I couldn't understand, personally.....If I was going to purchase such a rig, I would be digging deep, trying to ascertain as much as I can in regard to this boat....first, before I asked a question in that manner. Yes, it could very well just be the way I "interpret" it....
    Maybe it's just me, and my boating experiences, I have seen so many "WTF" are they doing, while out in the water.....and I'm getting old and senile

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    commented on 's reply
    many boaters/people are vague. only experience and a conscience can make one informed.... those that have the experience but without a conscience are usually considered to be ignorant, and there are a lot of ignorant boaters out there as well... being vague is better than being ignorant.

• Jim_Gandee
    replied
    Jeff, Welcome aboard! As a start I suggest you type Avanti 3685 into the search bar and be prepared to read for a while! As you develop specific questions ask away!

Leave a comment:

• Island Eddie
    replied
    WOW.

I hope you are not this vague, when it comes to actually boating, itself.......

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Jeff, I fully agree with centerline2. There’s more to safe and low stress boating without breaking the bank than most folks realize. I can’t stress safe boating practices enough because it’s really simple to do, However, failure to know things like the rules of the road or how to make an emergency call can have tragic results. Include your crew in getting educated, teach all of them how to maneuver the boat, handle lines, set the fenders, check the engines and navigation. The adage that any activity is 90% preparation and 10% perspiration isn’t far off.
    Look for a boat that fits you and yours first. We own our fourth Bayliner and have been very happy. But, I’m a maintenance nutcase and do almost all my own work. We bought each one based on configuration first, features second and brand third. My wife and I don’t have any need to impress others with how much money we spent on cars, boats, house, just about anything. Once you find the right boat, then purchase is an adventure in itself. The size of this boat can be a lot like buying a house where if you choose to have it Documented with the USCG, there are title searches that go back through each sale to the original dealer. Many lenders require the boat be documented. I did it on my current boat to protect myself against mechanics or other liens. Your insurance company is going to want a hull survey. I would add a mechanical survey. Their job is to look for trouble and you want to be there the whole time. Research insurance to find what’s right for you. There’s a difference between boat (actual cash value, like your car) and yacht (an agreed value format). You need to find a place to keep it, winter and summer, and understand what all has to be done when.
    There’s a lot of prep, but it’s worth every bit of it.

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    replied
    what kind of input are you looking for?...or input concerning what part of the boat.... or the purchase of it?....there are too many systems on the boat and other things to consider to just list them all.

the very first thing you should do when considering purchasing a boat, ANY boat (if you havent already) is to use the internet to look up the model and year of boat you are considering, and do a lot of reading and make a list of the questions that may develop, and as you read many forums and other owners threads about their boat, some of these questions will be answered, and you will come to know whether its a boat to pursue, or to avoid....

Leave a comment:

• Jeff beauch
    started a topic Seeking advice

Seeking advice

I’m considering purchasing a 1998 3685 Avanti Sunbridge, merc 380 horizons, any input would be greatly appreciated, I am planning on using it primarily in Lake Erie, thank you
Working...
X