new starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new starter

i just recently bought a 1992 2359 with volvo penta duo prop 4.3 gxi had it out about 6 times now and the starter took a crap anyone got any tips for replaceing looks to be prety tuff to change.

I used a broken handle socket wrench with tape at the joint to control the hinge. Be sure to disconnect the batteries before you get started. It’s real easy to take out the big fuse mounted to the solenoid. Don’t ask. I got my Chinese replacement from Amazon. For around $50 in 2015. DB Electrical SDR0253.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Removing the exhaust manifold will give you better access.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

alright thanks guys. yeah i was thinking about that manifold but then most likely replacing the gasket would be necessary. not sure how much they are but definitely more than a truck part lol

Comment

With the manifold, getting the first bolt started for assembly is a pita. Get a longer bolt or three, cut the head off, then clean up the edges. You can use two bolts. Now, install your headless bolt in one or two of the manifold bolt positions. It works better if you choose the end ones. Slide your gasket into position with the headless bolts sticking through the bolt holes in the gasket, then slide the manifold onto the headless bolts. Next, run the rest of the bolts in barely snug, remove the headless bolts - that’s why they needed to be longer than the actual fasteners - and replace them with the correct fasteners.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by washam ABS limited View Post
            alright thanks guys. yeah i was thinking about that manifold but then most likely replacing the gasket would be necessary. not sure how much they are but definitely more than a truck part lol
            The manifold to head gasket is the same as an auto one. If you first remove the elbow from the manifold that is a marine only gasket but relativity cheap. ~$10 to save aggregation is worth it in my book.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust install wiht headless bolts to line it all up.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	552901 Using 2 longer bolts to help line up your manifold gasket and manifold when installing. Works like a charm, cut a slot in each one so you can turn it out with a screw driver.
              88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
              98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Depending on access you may be able to get it off, without removing the manifold, on my boat it is easy. If its the older style direct drive starter these are HEAVY, try tying a line around the starter and tie the other end around the rubber hose that is attached to the elbow to hold it up while you loosen the bolts. And make sure to switch the battery switch OFF, or disconnect the neg cable if no switch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra starter.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	552993
                88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I know it's been said before, but I suggest taking the OEM starter to a starter rebuild shop..... .its about same price as knockoffs and you will a new starter.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
                  Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                  Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                  Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
                  X