What Bayliner do i have???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Bayliner do i have???

Purchased a 1993 Bayliner in July. The decals on the side read "Capri 2051 5.0LX", but the title reads "2050CZ". I haven't been able to find out exactly what boat I actually have. Also can't find: is this a 302 Ford engine or a 305 Chevy? Need a new power steering pump. And I also want to get a new stainless prop but can't find anything that gives me the max RPM's. I was told that there should be a label somewhere near the engine that tells me this but I can't find it so far. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

First question: does the HIN (Hull Identification Number) match the Title? Also, a couple of pics of the boat , engine and outdrive will enable those here that may also have the same boat identify it for you, or tell you where the engine and outdrive ID numbers are located.
    1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
    "Sea Flights"
    5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
    A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
    M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
    MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
    Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

a few may have these answers in their memory, but for the rest of us pictures of the boat and engine and serial number will help us help you identify what you have..

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Most likely a Chevrolet (GM) engine in a 93 model year. Pics to confirm.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by Coates
          what is the best Anchor for a 4087, I don't like the Danforth
          Welcome to BOC.
          I suspect you posted in the wrong section to get the most exposure for your questions.
          You might want to start your own thread in the Motoryacht section...………...here: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...toryachts-gc15
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Coates
            what is the best Anchor for a 4087, I don't like the Danforth
            you need to elaborate a little on where you are anchoring, what you expect for wind, current and bottom structure.... even if you dont like the danforth anchor, sometimes the danforth IS the best anchor to use... there is no such thing as a perfect, all around anchor, and none even comes close to being so, but it is true that some anchors are more dependable than others and with 2 or 3 well picked anchors aboard, you should be able to hold in about any type of bottom you want to, in nearly any conditions... this is providing you know which anchor is the best for the location/bottom composition and that you know how to get the best performance from the ground tackle system you carry.... there are lots of variables when it comes to anchors and anchoring.

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

OK...another (probably) dumb question. Where is the HIN on the boat? I have the title with me but boat is at the lake not close, so it's going to be Monday before i can check the HIN

Comment

HIN is located starboard side of transom usually below the rub rail. Somewhere in the area above the tree stump in your third pic. Might be just above those two silver stickers.
                I see through hull pipes exiting above the swim deck, she’s gonna be loud!!
                😳
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                Misc. projects thread

Comment

Wow. As Dave said if those exhaust tubes are real that will be one loud speedster. It would also indicate a previous owner made a major mod, so we will need pics of the engine and engine bay as well. The outdrive may not be original either. I think (but am not sure) the SEII5 marking on it may have veen a replacement made by SEI. Hopefully one of the more knowlegeable folks on the forum can be more helpful.
                  1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
                  "Sea Flights"
                  5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
                  A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
                  M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
                  MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
                  Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by pgiconch View Post
                  Wow. As Dave said if those exhaust tubes are real that will be one loud speedster. It would also indicate a previous owner made a major mod, so we will need pics of the engine and engine bay as well. The outdrive may not be original either. I think (but am not sure) the SEII5 marking on it may have veen a replacement made by SEI. Hopefully one of the more knowlegeable folks on the forum can be more helpful.
                  It looks like it says 116 when viewed on my laptop
                  Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                  Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

• pgiconch
                    pgiconch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are correct, it is 116. Should have had my reading specs on!

Exhaust tubes are in line but were never connected. I'm not going to because I'll be the first one with the 3rd degree burns & I don't want the noise to drown out my tunes. Outdrive is a SE116 & previous owner had it installed. I'm lake bound tomorrow morning so I'll have more info. & pictures probably Monday. Thank you all for the help so far!

Comment

I was able to match the HIN between the title & the boat. BIYA89CZL293. I do not see anything in or around the engine compartment indicating type of engine or WOT RPM. I want to get a new stainless prop & get more speed out of the hole for skiing/wakeboarding but want to make sure i get the right prop & pitch. With the SE116, how do i know if it's an Alpha I,II, etc???

Comment

Look at the casting number on the top aft portion of the block to confirm. I’ll guess because of the four barrel it’s a 5.7, 4400-4800 rpm at WOT
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

Could also be a 5.0 Chevy engine.
                        Carb may not be for marine use as I do not see a sight tube from the fuel pump.
                        Just my 2c.
                        Don
                        1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                        1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                        1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                        10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                        1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                        "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• builderdude
                          builderdude commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good eye Don, should be visible on starboard side air horn.

I looked for an hour & never did find any label telling me the max RPM at WOT. My title says the boat is a Capri 2050CZ however going by the spec sheets from Bayliner.com the layout of the boat (particularly engine compartment & rear seat) tells me it's a Capri 2051 Sport. Regardless, both spec sheets say that both have a 5.0LX Alpha I MerCruiser engine (205 prop shaft hp). Does that tell anyone anything about what prop to use or switch to? Currently it has a Solas 1511-145-19, which i think is a 14.5" diameter & 19 pitch??? Maybe??? That prop also has another stamp ME 48 16. I don't know what that means. I want more power out of the hole for skiing/wakeboarding so should I change pitch, diameter, 4 blades instead of 3, & stick with aluminum or go to stainless?

Comment

Working...
                        X