Another new guy looking for a float

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new guy looking for a float

Hi everyone, new here but not to boats, we are looking to get a bit bigger boat coming off a 89 Searay 25' Weekender.
    We started looking at the 3270/88's got on a few and thought they may be a little small, so then we looked at the 3888, and then seen the 3388 and the 39 series...
    Our plans would include week trips to the San Juans out of Everett, one inside passage trip, very light fishing/crabbing. We plan on keeping it for about 2-3 years and if we love it, we will get something bigger, if we don't love it we will sell it.
    So a few questions are, what sells? I don't want to be stuck with something that does not sell when I am done with it. I know I will not be making $$ and Im ok with that.
    What models would be the most friendly for our area's of travel in the early Spring/Summer/early Fall.
    What models are the least problematic? I know about the fuel tank issues/. and water tank issues.
    I prefer diesels, and if given a choice I prefer cummins over Hino

Any other tips besides finding a good servayer?

The broker keeps telling me the 3888 is the most sought after on the west coast and he can't get enough of them. He also says he can sell mine right now for more than I paid for it a year and a half ago and believe me I did not get mine cheep.
    P/C Bob Hicks JN
    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

So many great options! Here is my two cents. If the 3270/88 are too small, then I would think the 3388 and 3488 would be too small as well. I spend many weekends aboard our 3288 with a full crew and dog and we couldn't be happier. For you however, it sounds like you should narrow your search between the 3788, 38xx, or 3988. Regardless, you can't go wrong! Good luck and have fun!
      "FOG 1"
      1989 Bayliner 3288
      Twin 305s
      Kenmore, WA

Comment

Our 3388 has served us well, but we are getting out of ocean boating, which is why ours is for sale, listed here on BOC. The 3388 vs. 32xx is simple; almost identical floorplan, but the more modern Ciera exterior styling with no teak to maintain. The only interior change is the lower helm is moved back about 8" to accommodate a separate shower stall instead of the wetbath. Have a look at our listing in Boats For Sale, let me know what you think.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
        X