First Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Boat

Hello everyone, first time boat owner here. I was looking for something affordable that could get my family out on the water this year and I came across this 2015 Element XL for a good price. I’ve taken her out once just to see how she runs, but it’s still a little too cold here for full day outings yet.

Quick question, I went online to apply for the hull warranty transfer, as I understand as the second owner I am entitled to a 10 warranty period. I filled out the online form myself. Bayliner customer service called me back yesterday to ask where I bought it (Private Party or Dealer). I told them I bought it from a small dealer here in Maryland, but they are not a bayliner dealer and only took the boat as a trade in. They instructed me to have the file for the warranty transfer. When I asked the representative what exactly that entailed she was unsure, I then asked her what would I do if it was a private party sale, she was also unsure. After getting off the phone with her, I called the closest bayliner dealer, located 2 hours north of me to ask what they did in these scenarios, a sale rep said he just told people to fill out the online application.

Any suggestions? The only reason I’m really concerned about this is after jumping on this forum, I found a thread about the Element getting water in their sponsons. Afterwards I went out and pulled one screw out of the depth transducer located on the starboard sponson and sure enough a nice stream of water came out.

Figured it out, got ahold of the right people. Warranty is good.

Comment

Welcome, and welcome to the world of things that will drive you nuts.

Your boat, as in all of them, takes a lot of attention and learning. Properly maintained, and many of us do it ourselves, they can be reliable and trouble free. Items added need to be installed with marine grade tinned wire with shrink wrap connectors. Yup, they cost more. You want it to last? The learning isn’t just you, it’s also your crew. Safety is paramount and designated skippers who know how to handle their boats are fewer than you think. Learn the navigation rules if the road and what those buoys and markers mean. You will find that as the boat is coming up on a plane, aka the step, you are going to be throwing a rather large wake. You are responsible for any damage that wake does even if it’s miles away. Do take some boating classes, I did it with my kids and it was really kind of funny, the instructor would make a point about, say, appropriate pfd’s and there would be some eye rolling. My sons, especially more than my daughter, would explain why it was important and how to properly dawn a pfd. They were between 12 and 14 when we did the classes, but had been on the water since they were a few months old.

P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Fortunately my Navy career has covered rules of the road and charts, but it is definitely different navigating a small boat vs a ship. I’m definitely learning though. I’m looking at the things I’m going to be adding to the boat the summer an it adds up quick, I feel like a lot of items cost twice as much as they should.

Comment

Originally posted by OneCrew View Post
          I’m looking at the things I’m going to be adding to the boat the summer an it adds up quick, I feel like a lot of items cost twice as much as they should.
          The internet, Walmart, and Amazon are your friends. Be sure to search online for what you need.
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Buying the boat is the easiest part of boat ownership but the memories made are worth it.

Comment

Regarding the price of boat stuff, absolutely do your shopping, but include shipping costs as part of the comparison. Second, add YouTube to your list of resources. If you are scratching your head about how to do something and need a visual, there’s often a YouTube out there.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                X