Full Time Boating Fantasy...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim,
    This is an extremely interesting discussion. I am in a similar state of mind right now myself. My wife is coming along but is not 100% behind "boat only" living yet. For that reason and to have a small shop and storage area, we may find a very small and inexpensive house once we sell our current home. In our area the cost of living on a boat along with a small simple land dwelling could be pretty low.
    We recently purchased a Marinette 39 Sedan and are on the Ohio River. I have dreams of living on the boat and traveling north & south with the seasons on segments of the Great Loop. Initially I would like to spend summers around Marietta OH and then spend the winters down around Galveston or Houston TX. Part of the reason for that is that our daughter is in Houston area. She is getting married next fall and Momma wants to be closer to our baby.
    Later we may try other destinations further north or the Florida Intercoastal area.
    Anyhow, river boating is very relaxing to me. There are some stretches that fuel and services are slim but that's where planning is needed. Along the rivers there just are not many marine resources as many are used to on the east and west coasts or Great Lakes. Sometimes that is frustrating but things just need to be planned differently.
    Are you planning to live alone most of the time? If so (IMHO) you may want to consider a little smaller vessel (ie: 38xx, 3988, 4087, 4387). They may be more manageable for an individual and could have ample space for one's needs. Just a thought. Also, if you do end up in the eastern part of the US, I would recommend looking into Marinette boats as I do like them a lot.

I look forward to more comments and wish you good luck with your adventure.

John
    John
    1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
    (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
      ...We base our lives, meaning our self worth, and our goals on what we do for a living, our ability to provide, and as a measure of that the things we acquire.

... trapped in a work/spend cycle. We take our 4-6 weeks of annual leave but the rest of the time we are literally slaves to our possessions.

What if we could end the cycle? What if we could spend our time experiencing things instead of acquiring and then “feeding” them?

I will concede that is not the path to happiness for everyone...
      Kevin,
      I hope you don't mind my clipping your post, but I wanted to specifically highlight a few of the things you said that hit home.

Firstly, how we measure our self worth. I remember one evening after several hours working in the yard with Theresa (something she loved to do)... I was standing outside looking back at our home with my arm around her and mentioned that I'd rather be sitting on the curb homeless with her, than to be living in such a beautiful home without her. Now, 17 months after her passing, I am in the exact circumstances I feared... living in this house without her. Notice the shift in that last statement from Home, to House? It's the people that make the house a home. The Husband, the Wife, the Children, our Pets, our Visitors, Etc... Until there are people involved, it's just a house. More and more I just see this place as a house again... and that makes leaving it, much easier.

Then, as you say, there are those things "we acquire." A couple months ago, my Daughter and I were sitting in the kitchen eating some BBQ that had been on the smoker for the several hours prior... she looked out the back window and saw a huge amount of smoke. She asked me if that was from the smoker, and before I could confirm it, we could hear the crackle and snap of a grass fire, just over the back fence (not caused by us - but a careless smoker from the roadway behind us). We went out to the deck and could see the fire moving our direction. The fire department was already on the opposite side, and working the fire. My neighbors to the West of me had their sprinklers on, and were frantically watering down their patio and fence line. So I took Stephanie back in the house, closed the door, and we sat back down to eat, as the smoke continued to billow past the back deck. She asked me if I was going to do anything, and I told her the firemen were already doing it better than I could, and that... well... I could use a new fence. The house is insured, any documents I had in the safe were ultimately replaceable (long gone are the days it had any substantial cash in it). As we talked I realized my indifference was due to the fact that I had already lost the most important thing in my life, my wife Theresa... and if I lost the house and all it's contents, I couldn't possibly feel any worse. As long as she and Cody were okay, a car full of personal belongings would just slow me down. The value in those belongings was not in their physical presence, as much as in the memories of how they became precious. So as long as the fire doesn't consume us... it can't take our memories.

With respect to "the cycle," I couldn't agree more. When I do the simple math in my head that sums the Principal, Interest, Insurance, Taxes, Maintenance, and Upkeep that it takes to reside in this house, and then I compare it to my current single income... I realize that I'm simply working... to have a place to go... when I'm not working. Of course it doesn't help that I can't stand my current job, and after 17 years I still don't see it getting better. You see, change is not something I do with ease. I'm a creature of habit, but more and more I hear Theresa reminding me of something she often said, "If you keep doing what you're doing... you'll keep getting what you're getting."

And you're also right that this is not "the path to happiness for everyone." Long ago, I spent about 8 years self-employed... those were the greatest and most rewarding years of my life, but I couldn't recommend this for everyone. Some must have the consistency of a paycheck every two weeks, knowing what was going to happen next. But back then as a consultant, I could work a few ridiculously high paying days and then take several off. It wasn't the money that made it special (although I do miss that), but it was having the time to do as I wanted. And it's that time that I want back. I haven't taken a vacation since 2007... any time I have had off was either for healthcare issues (not mine) or bereavement (first my Father, and then my Mother, before my wife).

I've taken almost three hours to articulate this response... and if I don't hit, "Post Reply" at some point... I'll be here till morning.
      Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and encouragement in this thread. It really does help.

Jim

Comment

Nice post Jim! Are your kids nearing adulthood?
        High school is tough, moving to a new High School is Very traumatic on a kid.
        Are your plans for empty nest time???

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by The_Other_Gary View Post
          Welcome Jim. I made the same decision 16 years ago after losing a wife to cancer. I had a 3288 and a waterfront home. Sold both and bought a 3988 and a dockominium. Now I have a depreciating asset tied to an appreciating asset that costs me less then half what a marina costs. I am still working at 70 because I love what I do and my employer keeps upping the ante because he loves what I do. The plan is to head south next winter though as the winter in the Bahamas is a bucket list item. After that, who knows. I live on about a third of me income and am very handy about mechanical things so the costs do not bother me.
          Follow your dream is all the advice I can give and live life every day.
          Gary (I assume by the username),
          I'm sorry to hear about your wife as well. My wife has only been gone 17 months now, and I know that many people say time heals all wounds... we'll see.
          Then again, some people say everything happens for a reason... I call B.S. Sometimes some pretty unreasonable things just... happen.

I'd love to hear more about your "Dockominium." As much as my fantasy is for full time boating, I can see where some minimal land-based residence might be necessary. For example I have a great deal of tools and things that I'd love to have access to while refitting and/or upgrading any boat I purchase (got my heart set on a 4788, and they stopped making them almost two decades ago).

With respect to appreciating and depreciating assets... yeah... the value of my home has gone up approximately 35% in the last 4 years, still short of it's peak value back in 2007-2008 before the crash - but it's gradually climbing back (thank you California). I certainly have no other investments that have done that. But medical bills and increased cost of living have eaten away the cash reserves I once had.

I used to travel for business and I've seen many beautiful areas. I always said I could sell my house in California and live like a king in 48 other states... but I could never imagine being able to come back. I have some bare land up on Sutter Creek (where the Gold Rush began) and it would give me a patch of California to come back to if all else failed... but alas, the seasonal creek isn't hardly deep enough for a canoe, let alone a live-aboard.

Perhaps I will follow my dream... as soon as I transition from the fantasy stage.
          I think it just needs a plan in place to do that... and I'm working on it.

Thanx,
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by shade2u2 View Post
            Jim,
            This is an extremely interesting discussion. I am in a similar state of mind right now myself. My wife is coming along but is not 100% behind "boat only" living yet. For that reason and to have a small shop and storage area, we may find a very small and inexpensive house once we sell our current home. In our area the cost of living on a boat along with a small simple land dwelling could be pretty low.
            We recently purchased a Marinette 39 Sedan and are on the Ohio River. I have dreams of living on the boat and traveling north & south with the seasons on segments of the Great Loop. Initially I would like to spend summers around Marietta OH and then spend the winters down around Galveston or Houston TX. Part of the reason for that is that our daughter is in Houston area. She is getting married next fall and Momma wants to be closer to our baby.
            Later we may try other destinations further north or the Florida Intercoastal area.
            Anyhow, river boating is very relaxing to me. There are some stretches that fuel and services are slim but that's where planning is needed. Along the rivers there just are not many marine resources as many are used to on the east and west coasts or Great Lakes. Sometimes that is frustrating but things just need to be planned differently.
            Are you planning to live alone most of the time? If so (IMHO) you may want to consider a little smaller vessel (ie: 38xx, 3988, 4087, 4387). They may be more manageable for an individual and could have ample space for one's needs. Just a thought. Also, if you do end up in the eastern part of the US, I would recommend looking into Marinette boats as I do like them a lot.

I look forward to more comments and wish you good luck with your adventure.

John
            John,
            I'm sure that if Theresa was still with me, she would embrace my fantasy wholeheartedly. She was raised in San Diego and was a beach girl long before I stole her away and back to Northern California where I was raised. That said, I'm not really the ocean type. Never really liked the beach (windy, with sand in my food)... I do all my fishing in the frozen food section... and my idea of good seafood is over-baked fish sticks. Okay... not really. But sort of.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have no inner desire to cross the oceans, but life on a river, sounds quite appealing. I think that one of the things that appealed to me about the English Narrowboats was travelling the canals that were just wide enough to pass, and yet being surrounded by rolling scenery on either side for miles and miles. As a child, my family, along with my Aunts and Uncles (Dad had 11 brothers and sisters) would rent several houseboats together on Lake Shasta and/or Lake Trinity here in California and spend a week floating. I remember that fondly.

I currently envision solo boating for a great deal of the time, and I am aware that a 47 foot boat with a 15 foot beam is a bit for one man to handle. My son (29) and daughter (27) are both interested in leaving the state with me... but I don't know how realistic a long term lifestyle that would be. Perhaps they would join me to get me started, until I could handle things on my own. Or, I may find someone along the way to share my time with... but as you might hear in my posts... I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

I'll take a look at the Marinette line a bit too. Thank you for the hint.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
              Nice post Jim! Are your kids nearing adulthood?
              High school is tough, moving to a new High School is Very traumatic on a kid.
              Are your plans for empty nest time???
              Yeah, both the kids are well past high school, we only made one transition during that time. It was from a private school to a public school... that post could take another entire thread... or it's own server.

It's funny you mention the empty nest thing... I'm a bit pissed off about it really. I've felt like I kinda got cheated out of that phase of my life, since Theresa is gone.
              Stephanie did go off to College in San Francisco for a bit, but things got too expensive and she moved back home to spend more time with Theresa (toward the end) and is currently finishing up her education through a local Community College on some grants and other funding. She's working part time and living with me right now, and my son's apartment that he was sharing with a roommate in San Jose came up for renewal, so I asked him to move home with me and help me get the house ready for possible sale. He works two jobs and is getting caught up on some debts formed by a previous lifestyle. As a result, he is totally primed to leave California in a moments notice, although his current girlfriend may not have the same aspirations.

I'd welcome them both to crew my boat for any length of time they desired.

Jim

Comment

I didn't think it worth starting a new thread on it, but...

Does anyone know anything about this listing in Wilmington, NC:

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...cht-103372658/

450 original hours on engine?
                I'm particularly confused by seeing both "New Listing" and "Priced Reduced" in various descriptions.
                Just wondering, seems like a decent one owner boat.

Jim

Comment

Ahhh.... even more interesting.... now it's on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Baylin...s/173553866945

This should be fun to watch.

Jim

Looking more closely at the photos, it appears most of the electronics have been removed from the Pilothouse.

Comment

For the record... I was bored a couple weekends ago and took an online course to complete the California Boaters Exam.
                    Even though at my age it wouldn't actually be required of me until about 2024, I thought why not?

Passed with flying colors, and got my permanent "California Boaters Card" by mail.

Sure wish I had a boat.

Jim

Comment

Congratulations, you're official!

Have you gone boat hunting yet?
                      2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                      Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by W8N4SUN View Post
                        Congratulations, you're official!

Have you gone boat hunting yet?
                        Thanx, and yeah, actually I went to look at a couple 4788's in the Bay Area a couple weekends ago.
                        A 1995 and a 2001:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../#.W8N9f2hKhEY
                        This was a nice craft, but I didn't really care for the teak flooring... I think I prefer the warmth of carpet. I do like the rounded cabinetry of the later year models, but not the "leatherette" that the owner wrapped it all in. The boat was kept on a private dock in the owners backyard in San Rafael, and it showed. It's kind of like when you own a motor-home that you can keep at your house... when something is broken, even the littlest thing... you can just step outside an fix it. It's not like you only see it when you drive to the storage yard to dig it out for a trip.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199.../#.W8OA22hKhEY
                        This one was older, and it showed. Even little things like burnt out light-bulbs and stuff. The owner has already moved to Hawaii and "really wants the boat gone" according to the broker. Both my daughter and I preferred the carpeting though... whole different feeling, and much quieter.

Now that I've seen a couple in person, I can say this... the things I thought would be small, were larger than expected (Showers, headroom over the bed, etc...), and the thing I thought would feel huge (full beam salon) did not feel as large as I thought it would.

I have since done some research on other "Pilothouse" boats and would like to put my feet on some other brands too.

Jim
                        Last edited by Less Is Moor; 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM. Reason: Spelling... drives me crazy.

Comment

Jim, et al, from a guy who lives and boats in SoCal, it’s the weather, weather, weather! But the politics, taxes, fees and the population density is getting to me. One option is to “live” in Nevada where there are NO state taxes and hang out on my boat in SoCal for as long as I want. Tool and other required boat needs can be dealt with by renting a storage unit somewhere near the boat, wouldn’t be to much of an expense I wouldn’t think.
                          I’m terribly sorry for the loss of your Teresa. I hope that with time, your faith and the support of your kids (and you new buddies here on the BOC) your grief will eventually lessen.
                          Jim Gandee
                          1989 3888
                          Hino 175's
                          Fire Escape
                          Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                            Jim, et al, from a guy who lives and boats in SoCal, it’s the weather, weather, weather! But the politics, taxes, fees and the population density is getting to me. One option is to “live” in Nevada where there are NO state taxes and hang out on my boat in SoCal for as long as I want. Tool and other required boat needs can be dealt with by renting a storage unit somewhere near the boat, wouldn’t be to much of an expense I wouldn’t think.
                            I’m terribly sorry for the loss of your Teresa. I hope that with time, your faith and the support of your kids (and you new buddies here on the BOC) your grief will eventually lessen.
                            Yeah, I lived in San Diego back in '77-'84. It was a different place then. Met Theresa in high school down there and spent the next 40 years with her. Thank you for your advice and kind words.

Jim

Comment

With respect to wood over carpet flooring, I think it's nice to have wood flooring and then have bound carpet over it. You would have the best of both worlds.

2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                              Seattle, WA

Comment

So for my birthday, (11/21) I just booked a stay (AirB&B) aboard a "38' Sport Yacht" moored in Oakland.
                                Thought I'd spend the night on the water to enjoy some dock vibe.
                                There is a great restaurant right on the pier.

Comment

Working...
                                X