Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Time Boating Fantasy...

Hello all,
    I'm ready to unplug from California and go find myself on the water somewhere. My first interest in boating began with an infatuation of the Narrowboat lifestyle in the U.K. I spent some time investigating the idea of purchasing a nice Narrowboat and spending a few years (if not all of my final ones) cruising the canals of England at 4 MPH. The problem is... they'll only let me stay there 6 months at a time on a visitors Visa. So I wondered what the U.S. equivalent was... turns out, the Great Loop appears to be the ticket. At least there's no Visa or Immigration issues I would have to deal with. So loaded with all the live-aboard knowledge I've gathered (at least for a 7 foot wide, 60 foot long environment) I started looking at a proper vessel for the Loop. That lead me here.

I'm looking seriously at purchasing a 4788 and living aboard full time... somewhere. (Anywhere, but California)

I've gotten a ton of information while lurking here, but thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself and become a member of the family.

Thanx,
    Jim

Welcome Jim you have come to the right place.
    P/C Bob Hicks JN
    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Welcome
      I am with you getting out of California.
      Just don't know where yet.
      Don
      1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
      1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
      1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
      10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
      1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
      "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

There are a bunch of 4788 owners here and many of us are full time or seasonally full time.

There are also a bunch of places to go!

As a west coaster it’s tough to overlook California. If you just look at climate... The Southern California coast about down to Endenada Mexico more closely follows the 70 degree line temp wise than anywhere in north America.

You dream of getting out of California, I dream of getting to California for the nice mild winters.

Right now I could for example get a liveaboard slip in San Diego for the winter for approx $1300 a month (including stayaboard fees), or I could go to Ensenada to a nice secure marina for half that.

Pretty attractive when I’m looking at snow falll that will stay for 6 months starting within the next 45 days

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
          ... You dream of getting out of California, I dream of getting to California for the nice mild winters.
          Thank you gentlemen, for the welcome.

True, the weather can't be beat, four beautiful seasons... all evenly spaced... snow only at altitude... only a few 100 degree days a year... and the coast just 30 minutes away... but the economy is just ridiculous here in Silicon Valley, and it's getting worse every day.

I was born and raised in Saratoga (now the Beverly Hills of Northern California), and have lived in and around the Bay Area all my life... with the exception of a stint In San Diego from about 1977 to 1983, where I met my beautiful wife Theresa, and took her back home with me to Northern Cal. Alas, after 40 years together, I lost her to Cancer last year. So now it's just me and my Son (28) and Daughter (26) and my Husky, Doogan (4), so there's nothing keeping me here on the West Coast. And since I got cheated out of the empty nest, I'm thinking I'd rather just fly the coop.

I'm sure that what net worth I have left can last me a whole lot longer elsewhere. I have a beautiful home, a 22 mile commute (that is slowly going to $#it), and have been at the same job for the last 17 years... just so I can have a beautiful home. But it's just too hard to keep up on my sole income now, and a change (I can hardly believe I just said that) would do me good.

I'm not a boater, I was not raised in the water, nor am I interested in sailing across any oceans as a goal. But the idea of cruising along some tree lined river, or sandy coastal beach, taking in the fresh air, and paying more attention to the weather than the clock, sounds totally wonderful. I think that's why the waterways of England have such appeal to me. That 4 MPH pace sounds devine.

I love to learn, and this, as well as other forums have been wonderful resources.
          I'm still in the early stages of planning (hence the term "fantasy") and appreciate all your advice and experiences.

Jim

Comment

Jim, that was a really Candid and touching post!

I speak for all of us in welcoming you to our community, and wishing you the best in your new lifes adventures, whatever direction those might take you.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by Less Is Moor View Post
              I'm sure that what net worth I have left can last me a whole lot longer elsewhere. I have a beautiful home, a 22 mile commute (that is slowly going to $#it), and have been at the same job for the last 17 years... just so I can have a beautiful home. But it's just too hard to keep up on my sole income now
              It sounds like you're thinking of retiring and living off your savings and the proceeds of the sale of your home. While the sale of a Bay Area home will go a long way, do not underestimate the cost to own and maintain a large boat. I suggest you read through this and other similar threads (there was one I can't find asking how much people spent on their boat the last year).

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-as-large-boat

If you're handy at fixing things yourself, that'll help reduce the cost. But if you need to hire someone every time a problem crops up, and the boat you buy is a fixer-upper, I suspect it'll it'll wind up costing more to own it than the mortgage payment on your home. The saying (I thought it was a joke before I bought my boat) is that BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.
              1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Originally posted by Solandri View Post
                It sounds like you're thinking of retiring and living off your savings and the proceeds of the sale of your home. While the sale of a Bay Area home will go a long way, do not underestimate the cost to own and maintain a large boat. I suggest you read through this and other similar threads (there was one I can't find asking how much people spent on their boat the last year).

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-as-large-boat

If you're handy at fixing things yourself, that'll help reduce the cost. But if you need to hire someone every time a problem crops up, and the boat you buy is a fixer-upper, I suspect it'll it'll wind up costing more to own it than the mortgage payment on your home. The saying (I thought it was a joke before I bought my boat) is that BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.
                Understood. My equity, and some real estate in the Sutter Creek area would fund much of my future. I had savings... until Theresa had cancer. It was an eight year battle that followed a much shorter prognosis. The main reason I have stayed with my current employer was to maintain my health insurance and the level of medical care that she needed, right up until the end. Now things have changed of course, I only need to insure myself. So it's current assets moving forward and perhaps some creative forms of self employment income (done that before), since any SSI coming is still a few years away.

I just read through the thread you linked, thank you. Many of the over 40 foot owners seemed to have similar expenses - even though they may define them differently. The ongoing cost of owning a large boat does concern me, but I am not viewing it as a second home or a vacation device. My current mindset (subject to change, of course), is making my boat, my home. Substituting the current mortgage, insurance, property taxes, utilities, gardeners, upkeep and maintenance... with the new lifestyle. The biggest concern I have, is that my new home (boat) will only depreciate, whereas my existing home (land) has continued to create equity, even though it is more and more difficult to afford as a widower. And honestly, it's more of a home than I need now, but selling it and trying to buy something else here in the bay area, just doesn't make sense... I might as well keep what I have and just struggle on.

I am pretty handy with my hands, and short of deep engine or big mechanical work, I'd tackle just about any other problem myself. Electrical, Plumbing, Etc...
                Selling the house would make keeping all my tools difficult though... without another land based home. I have a great shop area now.

Simplifying my life, and getting off this work=mortgage machine is my current goal.
                Should I land on a boat (if you'll pardon the dual play on words here), moor the better.

BOAT = Becoming Older And Tireder (Yeah, it's a word... surprised me too)

Jim

Comment

I understand where you are coming from!

You seem to be like many that you appear to have lead the middle class life, picket fence, etc... probably your entire adult life.
                  You did not ask for or want this life change but now that it’s here and reality, I understand your wanting to change your thinking away from possessions based to experiences based life.

A liveaboard boat is a GREAT way to do that. Cruising as a lifestyle is VERY attractive to many who feel that they are tied down by their house, stuff, etc...

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the board. Before committing 100% to living fulltime on a boat have you thought about trying it out first. You can rent out your house in Saratoga and rent a narrow boat in England or elsewhere in Europe for six months and see how you like it.

Good luck,
                    Joe
                    1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
                    A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                      ... to change your thinking away from possessions based to experiences based life...
                      This is exactly what Theresa was trying to teach me toward the end. She too was tired of accumulating "stuff" and wanted to fill her final years with experiences.
                      Unfortunately, her health deteriorated quickly and did not allow her to travel, for there were great places I would have taken her.

I sometimes feel as if I still owe her this.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jmcajmca View Post
                        Hi Jim,

Welcome to the board. Before committing 100% to living fulltime on a boat have you thought about trying it out first. You can rent out your house in Saratoga and rent a narrow boat in England or elsewhere in Europe for six months and see how you like it.

Good luck,
                        Joe
                        Thank you. I'm living in Hollister now, it's been a long time since Saratoga, but I understand your point. I've given a thought to rental (on both ends), and I've got a few things to repair here before either renting or selling. Which touches on another issue... I haven't been taking care of my home the way I should have, (been too busy taking care of others) and I'm understanding that the maintenance on a boat is sometimes worse. This house is too big for just me. When I first moved in 18 years ago, I had far more time... being self employed then, and energy, as I was obviously younger. I converted some office space, put in a theatre, built a treehouse for the kids, built a garden for Theresa (her passion), put in a spa, re-landscaped and other such projects. I just don't have that enthusiasm anymore, nor the energy.

Currently, the kids and I are working on simplification. Getting rid of things we don't need anymore, minimizing our footprint, so to speak. This has been a slow process, but should help when it comes time for any major decisions or changes. I've been thinking hard about downsizing, (hence the username) and I keep saying that downsizing and staying here in the Bay Area just doesn't make sense. Like being in a shipwreck and letting go of one piece of flotsam, only to grab on to a smaller one.

Sorry for babbling on, but it helps to talk about it... and it is my thread after all.

Jim

Comment

I say go for it, life is short and experienced based living is what we're after as well. We told our kids we were done accumulating "stuff" and heading towards more experiences. You are on the right track!
                          2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                          Seattle, WA

Comment

This whole concept of a material based life vs a experiences base life is very much at the center of my thought process recently. It is an idea that has been brewing for several years, but it is getting stronger rapidly as life changes come about, some very recent.

We base our lives, meaning our self worth, and our goals on what we do for a living, our ability to provide, and as a measure of that the things we acquire.

Many of us, myself included end up feeling trapped in a work/spend cycle. We take our 4-6 weeks of annual leave but the rest of the time we are literally slaves to our possessions.

What if we could end the cycle? What if we could spend our time experiencing things instead of acquiring and then “feeding” them?

I will concede that is not the path to happiness for everyone, but to those that it is, I say cut the rope anchoring you to your stuff, and go experience life, whatever your dreams!

Myself, I am closer to doing just that than anybody realizes, and as I sit tonight at work, only to feed possessions, believe me, I am considering my options and wondering why I am not writing this from my boat, tied up in a new harbor, pondering the adventures that await tomorrow.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Welcome Jim. I made the same decision 16 years ago after losing a wife to cancer. I had a 3288 and a waterfront home. Sold both and bought a 3988 and a dockominium. Now I have a depreciating asset tied to an appreciating asset that costs me less then half what a marina costs. I am still working at 70 because I love what I do and my employer keeps upping the ante because he loves what I do. The plan is to head south next winter though as the winter in the Bahamas is a bucket list item. After that, who knows. I live on about a third of me income and am very handy about mechanical things so the costs do not bother me.
                              Follow your dream is all the advice I can give and live life every day.
                              "Adios Dinero"
                              1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
                              Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Working...
                              X