Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me 1986 Capri Cuddy and new to site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dkotar
    replied
    First thing I checked before I paid for it. Deck has no give at all. Transom is solid with no rot even around the drain hole. Only place of concern is in the cuddy where there is a possible bad spot. More probing will tell. With the weather cooperating today I got the engine in the boat. Not hooked up yet but that can be done in the shop. Shop ceiling is too low for the overhead crane and had to do outside.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Welcome! I have a concern when you say “visible” rot. The decks would feel soft, and, if you have the covering off, ours had carpet, then the tap test will tell you more. Same with the transom. Take a small ball peen hammer, and using the ball end, tap the surface of the transom all over it. If you get a less than solid sound, investigate it.

Leave a comment:

• dkotar
    started a topic New to me 1986 Capri Cuddy and new to site.

New to me 1986 Capri Cuddy and new to site.

I picked up a 1986 Capri Cuddy 1950 and didn't pay much. I figure between the stereo and the worth of the trailer I got a free boat.
    Well that being said I suspected that the engine block might be cracked. It was. Then the work began. the hull and floor are all solid
    with no visible rot and the transom is solid as well. I ordered an rebuilt block and removed the old engine. While waiting for the new
    engine I decided to order all new rubber parts and seals. Now I have the engine and assembled the engine parts. Might get it in the
    boat today and work on getting the rest put together. I don't have pictures yet as it has been inside my shop. Seems like a lot of work
    but most of the work was finding the replacement parts. Have a few parts coming today and still have to get a few more. Then comes
    the startup. wish me luck.
Working...
X