X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swilson
    started a topic Hello everyone... 1988 Capri 1750

Hello everyone... 1988 Capri 1750

Good morning everyone. Finally got my Bayliner! I got hooked on them way back in high school when a friends dad had one and we borrowed it all the time. I picked up a 1988 Capri 1750 Bowrider, 2.3 sohc. Traded for a sea-doo.

Like anything else that old, it needs quite a few things to bring her back to full glory. I am hoping to find loads of information here and others who have walked the same trail. My biggest items before buying were,

A) clean title
    B) solid hull

Well, I got those items lol. The floor and seats will all have to be replaced and some various plastic pieces as well.

Long term goal is to pull out the 2.3 and step it up to a 5.0 or a 5.8, so i am definately going to want to talk to experienced hands about that as well.

Feel free to email anytime, swilson@lift-strong.com

• TX H210 SS
    replied
    Just suggestion... I would get her usable as equipped and keep eye opened for one setup with 5.0 or 5.7 already. It could get pricey with mods if you don't have a 4.3 or 5.0 with drive on hand.

you may need to look at a 1850 or 2050 for bigger motor option though. I would imagine a strong 4.3 in the 1750 would have sa.e if not better performance than a 5.0 or 5.7 in 2050 due to reduced weight.

remember...you don't want it too ass heavy since your looking for good hole shot for skis.

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    AWESOME! Thank you so much

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    A picture says it all Joon

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    Top of the drive...

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    not to sound dumb (but i kinda am with boats) where/what am I looking for? I know the name should tell me everything buuuuut....

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    Open the top cap, check condition of gear oil first..

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    Just got the boat home yesterday, freezing rain, so I havent had much time to check anything really

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    Not too shabby for a 17 footer,
    Cobra shifting ok?

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    115 not toooo bad i guess lol

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    OMC 2.3 Cobra was rated 115 HP

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by swilson View Post
    I see. Do you happen to know what the 2.3 is rated at?
    Not sure what OMC rated it at but if I recall the street version in the Mustang II was 140HP.

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
    I would go with a GM 4.3; no matter what engine the drive will need to be changed to get the proper gear ration. BTY since none of the manufactures are using Ford engine anymore I would look at a GM 5.0 or 5.7 if you go that big. This way parts are easier to find.
    True on the GM parts...

Leave a comment:

• swilson
    replied
    I see. Do you happen to know what the 2.3 is rated at?

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    I would go with a GM 4.3; no matter what engine the drive will need to be changed to get the proper gear ration. BTY since none of the manufactures are using Ford engine anymore I would look at a GM 5.0 or 5.7 if you go that big. This way parts are easier to find.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X