WINTERIZE ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINTERIZE ?

I own a 1997 bayliner capri 1950 cl I live in NC & it doesn't get below freezing to much & we could take it out on any given weekend but theres some cold weather coming next week whats the correct way to winterize knowing I might go out 2-4 weeks from today?

I don’t know what power plant is in your boat but I assuming it a mercruiser and you should follow their manual instructions. At a minimum remove all engine drain plugs to drain all raw water cooling.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

There is no I'm going out in 2 or 3 weeks winterizing. You need to winterize it all and in the same manner. If if freezes and you don't you are screwed. Don't need to fog engine but I never do anyway. Everything else remains the same from what your manual says.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

You must learn how to get all the raw water out properly. Just learn and get in the habit of draining it any time it could freeze or it will cost you big time one day. And do not forget to remove the transom drain plug either, if you get a lot of rain and it can't drain when the boat is stored and it later freezes, that will really cause problems.

If you really want to be able to use your boat in the winter without work for your next boat strongly consider an outboard. That is one of the big advantages over inboards. You tilt it down and it drains!
        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

If you dont winterize you wont be going out very far in 2-3 weeks
          "REEL WILD"
          2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
          Anchorage, Alaska
          If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

You will need to remove the 2 plugs on either side of block and the 2 plugs for the exhaust manifolds. I also remove the lower large hose from the bottom of water circulating pump as it holds water as well.

If it's a Volvo penta then also pull the hoses off the water pickup pump as its mounted in front of engine below circulating pump.

As stated earlier, there's no need to fog if your going out in weeks. For long storage I fill block and manifolds with rv/marine pink antifreeze but that's mainly to prevent long storage corrosion, which you will not need to do either for a few weeks of setup.

It doesn't take long to Crack a block or manifold....when draining the plugs I always use a small piece of wire to stick in the holes to make sure no blockages preventing water from evacuating.
            Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

Don't know if this is 100% true but over on iboats I read that it takes about 8 hrs of below freezing temps to crack a block, not very much....Even the single point drain systems tried by Merc have their issues, they can clog with rust flakes from internal corrosion. Always poke out the drain plug holes in the block and manifolds so the drain fully.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Do you have the 3.0 mercruiser?
                Its less than 5 minutes to drain the water out.

Its pribably $3,000 and up if you don't.
                Esteban
                B-ham!
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Yep all it is on that engine, is one drain on the block, one drain on the exhaust manifold, disconnect the bottom end of the big hose on the circ pump on the front of the engine, and disconnect and drain the raw water intake hose.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                  X