New to us 1999 4788

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to us 1999 4788

I had posted here before the forum update and in going back to revisit the post, it appears that it may have disappeared- along with my old account name which had a space in it... So I thought I'd say hi again.

In 2013, the desire to explore the San Juan islands resulted in my wife and I picking up a 1994 2855 which we named Rosalita. Although based outside of Portland, over the next 4 years, we had a blast with it touring around Puget Sound from Anacortes to Nanaimo (and on the Columbia a bit too). Sometime during these adventures (~2014), she said to me we should do the Inside Passage sometime- to which I immediately replied, "Well if we do that, I'd want a bigger boat with twin diesels."

She rather calmly replied, "Ok."

"SWEET!!!"

And so the search began, but slowly... Over the last few years, we've been to the Seattle boat shows, through a number of brokers' inventories, walked through a lot of boats, and spent a lot of imaginary money mentally bringing home a number of boats to our imaginary slip and seeing how we felt about it. In seeing what was out there, we decided that in addition to the vague "bigger" and specific twin diesel requirements, there were a few other things we were looking for (and not looking for). We didn't want an aft-cabin (nothing against them, just not for us). We wanted at least two state rooms which were honest-to-goodness places to sleep- like where we could unashamedly stick parents. I wanted thrusters, just to make life easy for me if needed, and to remove barriers of fear for the wife (ok- for me too). I'm sure there were other things as well but they escape me now...

We eventually settled on a Meridian 411. Gorgeous boat. Perfect size. Well outfitted. It was around the upper limit of what we were really thinking of spending, but still in the range, so we started scanning around. We went to see a broker who had one or two and after going through our wants and needs list asked us if we'd ever been on a 4788. We hadn't. We weren't really looking for a boat that large and presumed they were out of our budget.

We got to check out three of them that afternoon, and then got to go back on a 411. For the spaciousness and accommodations, there was no comparison. We loved it. We were hooked.

Fast forward a couple months and we are the new owners of a 1999 4788 with 330hp 5.9 Cummins. We've got some deferred maintenance to catch up on right now but we are very excited to get out and get used to it. I thought it was a big step to have a 28' boat as my first boat... This is a pretty big step up!

I ended up on this forum prior to the purchase looking for some background info on the model and I was really impressed by the signal to noise here. There doesn't seem to be the normal internet forum useless blabber here, so thanks! I look forward to seeing what I can constructively contribute here. I know I have much to learn.

Chris
    Chris & Bethany
    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
    New to us in October 2017
    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Great boat, and a great location!
    We really like Anacortes!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on the boat!
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Congratulations, not sure if you have tried it yet, but with that boat, you can move it sideways with bow thruster, and putting the engines in opposite directions. It's pretty awesome feeling to move the boat sideways, without a stern thruster... We have the same boat with the 370's, love it. Enjoy !

Comment

Thanks guys. We are quite excited with it and have been spending some long weekends on it lately. The motors and gennie were torn down 2 weeks ago to rebuild all the coolers, and the turbos were pulled due to a horrid leak on both of them. In tearing apart the aftercooler, it was extremely clogged up and probably what was driving the oil build up in the turbos. We got everything but the turbos back this week and re-installed, but still looking forward to getting them completely back together.

I have little experience working on diesels- none actually, but working with the repair tech has been very enlightening. The removal/install is definitely something that I can tackle in the future when it comes due again. I'm working with Anacortes Marine Services and I've been very happy so far.

Still loooking forward to untying from the dock under my own power (other than for the sea trial, when I didn't get to perform the docking maneuvers)!

Chris
          Chris & Bethany
          Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by nauticat View Post
            We have the same boat with the 370's, love it. Enjoy !
            Where are you located? Update your signature and let people know.
            Chris & Bethany
            Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
            X