New Boat owner-gctid827686

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Boat owner-gctid827686

Robin Liggon owner of 2004 Bayliner 225 BR with 5.7 l mercruiser. First time boat owner, do all my boating on John H Kerr Lake. Getting ready to build my last home on the water. Bought a used boat until I figure out what I'm doing. Took it out for the second time, boat runs like a top for a little over an hour then it will start surging, RPM will jump up and if you open throttle wide open it will only do about 30, Stop the boat let it cool down for about an hour, start right up well then exceed 40 mph with no surging. Seems to be based on timing. Had it checked out, mechanics ran it twice on the lake couldn't get it to duplicate it. He said fuel pump could be going bad that when they heat up, will stop working. Any suggestions?

Welcome

Maybe ignition coil as they are know to break down voltage when hot or a clogged fuel tank vent that results in fuel starvation. To see if it's the vent loosen the fill cap next time it happens, if the engine recovers that's it.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Thanks. I'm taking it out again tomorrow morning. Will try that if it does it again. I know that it ran well after cooling down today.

Comment

It vert well could be the fuel tank vent rather than the fuel pump. They have a pretty fine creed in them to keep insects from making nests in the tubing and those screens get corroded and blocked off. Replace it with a stainless steel unit rather than plastic or chrome plated zinc. IMO, stainless is xalmost always the way to go on any fittings. If you haven't changed the fuel filters that's another often overlooked source of an engine not running right especially at the upper end.

Take your boat information and the lake you like but add a state, Provence or world region to your signature. It really helps fast track advice for local or nearby resources. One of us may even live nearby.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Carried it out today, ran fine for about 45 minutes and was starting to surge when I pulled into where I was going. I was on the shore about 15-20 minutes and when I went back to the boat, fired up fine, ran perfectly for 20 minutes, started surging again and completely cut off before I could get to the fuel tank cap. Me and the wife set on the water for about 30 minutes, it fired right up and ran perfectly till I got back to my dock. Ran smooth as a whistle and up to 50 mph. I have no doubt if I had approached the 40 minute mark would have done it again. You let it set till it cools down and it will start and run fine for a little while. Going to call some shops this week and carry it in to get it looked over again. Novice when it comes to boat engines.

Comment

Actually turned out to the ignition control sensor. Replaced that and it ran fine. Now that its running fine, just in time to winterize and put up for the winter.

Comment

Working...
            X