Hi Y(39)all-gctid827094

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Y(39)all-gctid827094

I am obviously a newbie and am definitely looking for help. I purchased a 1988 (?) Bayliner Capri 18.5' boat with the Volvo 2.1L engine. I knew it was going to be a project from the start. I striped everything out of the boat and took it all to the dump. Then I got to work. The floor was replaced (including all new sub-floor foam), the upholstery was stripped from their forms and the old forms were used to make new forms. All of the upholstery was replaced and new seats were installed. Then I started on the wiring. OMG.... I found about 50 different colors of wire and at least half a million butt splices.I figured I would just get a schematic and rewire the whole thing. Boy was that ever a wrong decision. It seems that with the secrecy of Volvo and the ownership of Bayliner every schematic says something different. I am not afraid to go into the wiring because I used to be an aircraft mechanic, and also a radio repairman, so what could go wrong??? There isn't enough room to answer that question here. I have corresponded with both Volvo and Bayliner and got negative responses. Now I am down to just trying to chase wires and replace them as I find them, but the dash is a total nightmare without the schematic. Any Help y'all can bestow on me would be greatly appreciated. My one year project has so far lasted 1.5 years.. I would like to get a chance to see if the boat floats before winter starts, so any assistance is greatly appreciated...........................
    Boat is 18.5' 1985 Capri with 2.1 L Volvo engine and 172 out drive pulling it with a '99 Dodge Dakota.
    Boat was purchased as a project and everything except the wiring is completed.
    I live in Augusta, GA. and will be boating on Clarks Hill Lake..

Welcome! Please add your boat information and your whereabouts to your signature by editing your signature section of your profile.

You are correct about the wiring schematics being "in general". Your key to the kingdom is the pigtail plug on the engine.

Page 34 here should get you close.

http://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploa...bra-Trophy.pdf

Obviously having the right colors of wires helps so you might look at someone like partsexpress.com as a resource. When I reworked my 2950, I laud out a board on sawhorses and attached the harness end of the pigtail to one end. Then I attached each wire by color and circuit to the pigtail and tied the instrument panel end off. When that was done I wire ties the whole mess together, sound familiar? And did the trim and connections at the panel.

Step back and simplify
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks for the info. I know there is a data plate somewhere on the boat because I have seen it, but I can't remember where it was. I was hoping to get the hull # and serial # and model number from it, and I will whenever I remember where the data plate is. Roughly the Boat is a Capri (there is a sticker on the dash), it is an 18.5' boat (I measured it), the engine is a 2.1L Volvo (easily identified on the engine), has a 172 out drive (big number on the unit), and is supposedly a 1987 or 88 (the guy that sold it to me said so). That is about all I can tell you about it because that is about all I know. I have run so many searches for wiring diagrams that whenever I hit enter on my comp it says "Oh come on - not again" before searching............

Well, I went to my profile and attempted to edit my signature so I could let everyone know i am in Augusta GA USA and the info on my boat (as listed above) I came back to add the Georgia info cause I couldn't figure out how to add the info to my profile. I will eventually, but for the immediate conversation, here it is.......Thank Again............
      Boat is 18.5' 1985 Capri with 2.1 L Volvo engine and 172 out drive pulling it with a '99 Dodge Dakota.
      Boat was purchased as a project and everything except the wiring is completed.
      I live in Augusta, GA. and will be boating on Clarks Hill Lake..

Comment

Working...
      X