New to club from Puget Sound, WA area-gctid822104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to club from Puget Sound, WA area-gctid822104

I just purchased my first boat. Had to quit motorcycles because of two shoulder replacements so decided on another expensive past time. Since I'm surrounded by water- boating, fishing, crabbing and shrimping sounded expensive so here goes. I picked up a 1995 Trophy 1802 WA. It's powered by a Mercury Blue Water 150 and also has a Honda 8 hp trolling motor. It came with a full array of electronics, GPS, chart plotter, fish finder (somewhat outdated), marine radio and two Scotty electric downriggers with swivel bases. It also has a river anchor system, full canvas including rear curtains. It also has a variety of rod holders, all of the manuals. bumpers and trailer. Since I don't know very much about boats yet I have to believe everyone that has seen it that I got a pretty good deal on it. I will more than likely have many future questions as I learn about being a boater and fisherman.
    God Bless and Safe Boating

Welcome. Love your avatar. It looks like my ancestors. Please copy your boat information into your signature and that you are on the Sound, or a closer city if you feel like it.

As you are new to boating I can't advise you strongly enough to take some classes either from the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the Power Squadron. They are all layered so as you learn more there are more in depth classes offered. Both are great organizations. A key thing about going to their classes is that you meet other new boaters as well as a few experienced subject matter experts. Just as with motorcycles there are little things on boats that if left unattended could get to be very big things in a hurry. Don't be too proud to wear a pfd. Think if it as leathers for the water. That water is cold and unexpectedly landing in it shocks you in a way that you may loose the first five seconds or so.

As far as what you paid for the boat, don't think about it. The deal is done, move forward. There are always those that have their own opinion but the only one that matters is yours.

Go to a dock you can line with fenders and practice maneuvering the boat. Learn how to bring it in and tie it up by yourself, how you want your lines arranged, positions of fenders all of the little organizational things about good seamanship. It may seem like overkill in Calm water on a no wind day, but there are other days when the weather will go bad on you and you have to do it in those conditions.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Welcome to BOC! I hope you have many enjoyable years of boating, and like Pcpete said, get some boating education.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Just wanted to say Hi! I'm in the Puget Sound too! Deception Pass area!
        My boat teaches me something new every day
        1983 Bayliner Trophy 2460
        Volvo Penta 260A AQ280

Comment

Working...
        X