Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element XR7-gctid819703

Hi all,

New to the forum, considering buying an Element XR7 and just wondering if anyone here owns one and could comment on their experiences. Specifically, I'm wondering if the standard 150HP outboard is enough to power a skier/wakeboarder off the back if the boat is full of 12 or so passengers? Also, is there any value to the snap-on carpet and seagrass options or whether a bare deck is the better way to go. And finally, any thoughts on the heads -- portable or pump-out?

Grateful for any feedback!

I have extensive experience with this boat. The 150 is barely adequate for a small family of four and a few guests. THe 200 is table stakes, but if you have the budget, the 250 totally transforms the boat. Butter smooth, whisper quiet, and PLENTY of torque for pulling skiiers....especially when it's fully loaded. It also includes hydraulic steering and digital throttle and shit, which again, transforms the experience.

Flooring: Up to you, but for me, it would be seagrass or nothing...literally. Carpet will get dirty and is hard to clean unless you have a pressure washer. Also, consider a teak mat from Seadeck instead - it's cool, cushioned, and maintenance free. http://www.seadek.com/

Finally, pump out head EACH TIME, EVERY TIME. You will only need to clean the porta potty out once to understand what I mean. But again, a porta potty beats a bucket over the side.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Hey, thank you for the fast reply. I really appreciate your feedback.

Does the seagrass not get dirty the way the carpet does? Does it hold up well to foot traffic? How do you think it would fare with a big dog (golden retriever) on board a fair amount of the time?

Re the head, I gather you're advocating the pump-out over the porta-potti?

What do you think of the automatic bilge pump?

Any other options you would recommend for a boat kept in the salt water and air of the Gulf of Mexico? Do you think the stainless steal upgrade would hold up better than the standard (aluminum, I assume)?

Comment

The seagrass will likely be easier to clean (and keep clean). I think it will hold up to a dog just fine (I have a GR myself....good choice! ) and it should hold up better than carpet over the long haul.

Yes, I do advocate going pump out over porta potty. ANything is better than nothing at all, but if you can, the pump out is a lot easier to deal with, assuming you have a pump out facility where you will be boating (sounds like you will).

Automatic bilge pumps should be standard equipment. Bayliner and other cost based boats tends to under-size these components, so I not only recommend an auto bilge pump, but due to where you will be boating (Gulf of Mexico) I advocate a backup, high flow bilge pump in addition to the stock pump.

Another consideration is the hull design. The XR7 has an M hull, and perusing the topics here, you will see that the e series Elements have water retention issues in the sponsons where the bilge pump cannot reach. I don't know if the boat will stay in water or out (I hope out), but regardless, I would have the dealer install the sponson drains that the e series people are getting. It will help with hull draining and performance if water ever does find it's way down there.

As for other options, again, depending on how you will store it, you are in the south. I will assume you are storing it out of the water on a trailer. I imagine you want your boat to stay nice for a long time, so save yourself the annual buffing and waxing and invest in a custom storage cover that covers the entire interior, and goes down to the waterline/chines. This will not only keep your interior nice, but it will save you from the fading and gelcoat issues that boats get when they age.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else. The XR7 is pretty unique, so buy it and enjoy!
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=819774 wrote:
          The seagrass will likely be easier to clean (and keep clean). I think it will hold up to a dog just fine (I have a GR myself....good choice! ) and it should hold up better than carpet over the long haul.

Yes, I do advocate going pump out over porta potty. ANything is better than nothing at all, but if you can, the pump out is a lot easier to deal with, assuming you have a pump out facility where you will be boating (sounds like you will).

Automatic bilge pumps should be standard equipment. Bayliner and other cost based boats tends to under-size these components, so I not only recommend an auto bilge pump, but due to where you will be boating (Gulf of Mexico) I advocate a backup, high flow bilge pump in addition to the stock pump.

Another consideration is the hull design. The XR7 has an M hull, and perusing the topics here, you will see that the e series Elements have water retention issues in the sponsons where the bilge pump cannot reach. I don't know if the boat will stay in water or out (I hope out), but regardless, I would have the dealer install the sponson drains that the e series people are getting. It will help with hull draining and performance if water ever does find it's way down there.

As for other options, again, depending on how you will store it, you are in the south. I will assume you are storing it out of the water on a trailer. I imagine you want your boat to stay nice for a long time, so save yourself the annual buffing and waxing and invest in a custom storage cover that covers the entire interior, and goes down to the waterline/chines. This will not only keep your interior nice, but it will save you from the fading and gelcoat issues that boats get when they age.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else. The XR7 is pretty unique, so buy it and enjoy!
          I have the Sea Deck in my boat and I love it. BUT...... If i were ordering my boat I would get he Sea Grass option. I had a 2003 Searay I bought new with carpet and I could never keep it clean and it matted down and was no longer soft. I really hated it after a few years. The SeaDeck is nice but after 2 years it is already starting to peal up in the corners. This was my main concern when I bought the boat and I refused to pay for it. So they took the off the price. The Sea grass is designed to be removable. So you can take it out and was it or not even use it depending on your use for the day. The Sea Deck is soft and cool to the touch and non slip. It all give the boat a really sharp look and get compliments all the time.

As for the Bilge pump you want nothing but automatic. If its not automatic its pointless in my book.
          2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
          Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
          Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
          Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
          1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I was planning to store the boat in a wet slip at the local marina for much of the year. The only advise I've gotten from the nearby Bayliner dealer is to "store the boat an angle" to drain to the rear. I guess a couple times a year I'll need to hoist her out for drainage.

Comment

Working...
            X