New Member-gctid818319

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member-gctid818319

My name is Saltyjack. Proud owner of 1997 Ciara Express 24' 2455. Pushed by a 2013 Mercruiser 357 with 950 hours. Have a lot of questions about this boat, but I really like it.

1. What is ideal cruising RPM in light seas to use fuel and engine wisely? With 2 adults on board and following seas, 500 lbs. I was hitting 17 knots easy last winter at 30 RPM. Now, with 750 pounds on board, at 30-35 RPM I'm getting 8 knots max, 10 with a following sea. Does that sound right?

2. Please, need operating tips on trim tabs.

Welcome! Where are you boating? The wave action differs with type of water, tide, depth and on. As to what is a good speed, anything under the rpm where the four barrels open isn't bad. I suggest watching how far you move the throttle to how much your speed increases. There's going to be a point where you are doing a lot of movement for not much gain in speed. There will also be a range that the boat seems to like, probably in the 32-3500 rpm range as it was on my previous boat. Your engine with your normal load should be able to get to 46-4800 rpm. If it doesn't get there or goes past it, you will need to think about adjusting your propeller pitch.

As to the trim tabs, I like to have them all the way bow down getting to a plane then raise them almost, if not completely after the boat gets on the plane and increases speed and the bow is being push down to the point of dragging the boat. Once I have them in a good position for the speed, I move them individually to compensate for side to side attitude. If you are going slowly in a following sea, pull them all the way up as their job is to push the bow down and you can have one side of the bow dig in coming down the back slope of a wave and have serious to critical steering issues, even causing the boat to breech.

Where did you put the additional 250 pounds? If it's a person or two, have them move all the way to the bow and the boat will probably come "out of the water" onto a plane. Additionally, run the trim tabs all the way bow down and give it full throttle. Again if it doesn't get to 20 plus knots, you have a propeller issue.

Your concern for fuel burn is normal, but at the end of the year you will probably find that fuel is one of your lower coat line items. Also, try to run ethanol free gasoline. The alcohol robs power and economy for boating, imho.

Please add some stuff like how you described your boat and the area where you live and boat to your signature. It really helps in answering and asking questions.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Pcpete. You got me to thinking... Didn't want to hijack this thread so I've opened this in a new one under "TECHINCAL DISCUSSIONS" if/ when you get time to indulge me...It'll be titled "2655 SUNBRIDGE TABS VS ENG TRIM"

Thanks,

Dave
      Dave
      Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
      5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
      Sold:
      1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
      Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Dave, Saltyjack did two posts quickly with the second one asking more questions. I usually just look at recent topics, so I wouldn't know the difference. When did you chang your picture?
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks Pcpete, I get it, PC's and Washington. You turned some lights on. Much of the payload was at the stern, including 4 steel 100 SCUBA tanks and a guy.

I need to preserve this engine because it's pushing 1000 hours, 46,000 RPM wouldn't hurt it? Will check the prop. One other important question I'd appreciate help with. Sorry if this is not the forum, I'll learn. I keep the boat in a slip in Channel Islands Harbor, California. It's a 1997 Ciera Express 2452. Wondering how often I should run fresh water through the engine? Thanks.

Comment

"Pcpete" post=818344 wrote:
            Dave, Saltyjack did two posts quickly with the second one asking more questions. I usually just look at recent topics, so I wouldn't know the difference. When did you chang your picture?
            I did Pete It's now my 2655 on the trailer. Plus I ended up needing to edit for one clarification and misspellings the computer (and I) missed
            Dave
            5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
            Sold:
            Mariner 150
            Towing with:

Comment

I'm going to switch the profile pic back to something more "helicopter-ish" .....at least till she's finished and more presentable LOL
              Dave
              Sold:
              Mariner 150
              Towing with:

Comment

Working...
              X