Bayliner Element E16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner Element E16

Hi. I am looking at buying a Bayliner Element E16. Can anyone give me some advice on this boat. How many hours can you get from a 12 gal. gas tank? Is it comfortable enough for 6 people? Does it handle well if the weather gets rough?
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-15-2018, 09:27 AM.

Welcome to the forum! I have a 2014 16" Element and have been thoroughly been enjoying it. Hours is VERY dependent on how you're running her, for instance full throttle vs. cruising speeds. But I've had a solid 6 hours of pulling kids on tubes, so pretty wide open on the throttle and burned maybe 8 gallons. So you can run all day plus on a full tank. I have a family of six and we all fit comfortably. I would say it IS NOT a rough water boat; made more for inland lakes and rivers. Can go out in ocean waters but would not advise on rough days...you'll be bouncing all over the place.

Hope this helps!
    2014 Flight Package Element
    Upgrades: 90HP, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade Prop, Mercury Monitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Radio w/4 speaker + subwoofer
    Lacey, WA

Comment

Hi , We have had our 2018 Element e16 with the standard 60hp merc for two weeks and we love it so far. We bought this boat as a cocktail cruiser/fun boat, we also have 37' Silverton convertible. We are in San Diego and we will pretty much use the e16 exclusively on San Diego Bay.

So far the fuel economy seems pretty decent, I haven't calculated an HPG yet and I simply check the gauge on the fuel tank, but the initial fill was just at 12 gallons and I have only added 4 gallons since after a number of new boat fun hours. (maybe two or three hours at many various speeds)

The boat easily seats 6 adults for a wine and cheese cruise at a non-planning reasonable speed of 10 mph or so, it will not plane with 6 adults. The hull design is somewhat similar to the old tri-hull boats so if there are boat wakes or a stiff chop, the little e16 will pound a bit if you run it hard. We just had Comic Con and there were many fools in the bay and the water was like a washing machine, I'll be honest with you, the e16 felt pretty small out there with 50' boats running wide open, but I never felt unsafe or in danger.

Overall, we love the boat, love the lay out and the price

Comment

"kathycallard" post=817012 wrote:
        Hi. I am looking at buying a Bayliner Element E16. Can anyone give me some advice on this boat. How many hours can you get from a 12 gal. gas tank? Is it comfortable enough for 6 people? Does it handle well if the weather gets rough?
        Hi Kathy. Welcome to the forum. I am a longtime boater and Bayliner owner, and we just took delivery our second Bayliner, a 2017 Bayliner Element E18. Same basic hull as the 16 but a little bigger.

On the plus side, Bayliners and the Element series are IMO the best boating value out there. However, this does not come without compromises. First, the ride is not great. Of course no 16 footer or 18 footer is going to ride that well in a chop. But the Element hull design tends to push spray frontwards in a chop, and the wind can blow it right back into your face. In calm waters this is not an issue. Also, the hull design requires you to slow down in a chop or the boat will pound. All small boats will, but the element is a little harsher IMO than a Vee hull. IMO.

Finally, search these forums for some spirited discussions about the element design holding water in the sponsons. My boat has this issue....I knew it was a risk when I bought the boat, and my boat will not be wetslipped so this is not necessarily a big problem for me, and I will work with the dealer and Brunswick to resolve. But it is, IMO, a rather large design flaw that needs to be corrected and should be a significant consideration while boat shopping. then again, your Element 16 will probably be available to you for thousands less than any comparable boat, so you gotta weigh that into the equation.

Boats are always flawed and are always compromises.

Comment

Does anyone know what size GPS fits best in the 16ft element? Will a 7 in. work?

Comment

Working...
          X