Port wont crank over but will after Starboard starts-gctid814774

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port wont crank over but will after Starboard starts-gctid814774

Hello 3888'ers: Getting ready to take Sea vu Play south to Santa Cruz, but the last two starts required me to crank the Starboard hino first, then the port would start normally. If I try Port first, nothing. Batteries showing 13vdc which seems low. I have a xantrex Truecharge2 Series Battery Charger inline. I'm trying a separate charger to put a charge on one battery to see if that helps.

All xantrex indicator lights seem normal. After a 30 minute trickle charge on one battery, she cranked right up. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated?

You could have either a bad start battery, or a corroded or loose connection either at the battery or the starter. Looks like the battery voltage at 13V is fine. If it starts after the first engine starts and the alternator kicks in, it may be that the additional voltage is enough to overcome a loose or corroded connection.
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks TenMile: You were right on the money, The forward battery terminals were badly corroded. I had learned that from the survey, and had changed out the stern battery grips (I think it is the accessories battery and the forward is the starter battery) when I took possession. Any way, its a bit of a pretzel position to get to them since my shut off panel hovers over the battery box, but I got a wrench on them, did the wire brush routine and replaced the terminal grips with new like kind. She started right up and held at 13.5v on both engines so I am thinking its a fix. Thanks for confirming this course of action. Happy motoring, seavuplay

Comment

Working...
      X