REPOWER OF MY TROPHY-gctid812954

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REPOWER OF MY TROPHY-gctid812954

Hello bayliners i am a newbie 1 have a 1993 bayliner trophy 21 footer i want to repower her it has a 1993 force 150hp on it now i have a chance to purchase a 225 hp evinrude the tag on the transon says 175 max the weight differance isn't that much both are in the 400 range what do you guys think about the repower?

The HP ratings are different than weight considerations. The boat will be considered unsafe to operate with an engine over 175hp. There is so much liability associated with overpowering an outboard boat that marine mechanics will not do an install of an over horsepower outboard.

Now if you have a sterndrive or inboard boat these ratings don't exist. I worked in a shop were the owner repowered a 16 footer removing a 140, putting in a small block. First sea trail the boat started chine walking and then spun out. No one was hurt but they idled back to the launch pulled the boat and took the engine out. That was a tough lesson learned the easy way as no one got hurt.

Would it be fun to drag race with it, sure but not worth the risk or the liability of someone getting injured or killed in an accident. if you look into boat design you will find that most boats are designed with a maximum speed envelope. Go beyond that and you are on thin ice.

Comment

Plus the weight distribution on the Trophy is already an issue. The fuel tank and engine are both located aft of the helm, requiring some weight forward for balance. Increasing the engine weight will make the situation even worse.
      Songman
      2006 Trophy Pro 2052 - 1.7 liter Diesel
      Jacksonville, Florida

Comment

Working...
      X