My New Older Boat-gctid809978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Older Boat-gctid809978

Hey Guys. I pulled the trigger on this Boat. It's a 2001 Ciera Sunbridge 2855. Showing it's age a little cosmetically, but the reason I wanted it was because it had a New Mercruiser 383 Stroker installed last year, and still has 2 years on the warranty. There is 23 hours on this engine. From everything I read, this is the idea engine for this boat, and what everyone prefers. It's raises the horsepower to 375, and looks beautiful. I'm new to the boat scene, and the last thing I want is mechanical issues, so this was a huge selling point to me. The Bravo III outboard is much older, so Hopefully I wont have much trouble with it. The price I ended up negotiating was $22,500, down from $27,000 and this is in the Seattle area. Please feel free to let me know how I did. I'm new to the bigger boat scene so I'm really not sure. I plan to put more money into this boat, but I'm not sure how much. I will be going from the color sand to the color black, because I think black looks the best. Starting with new full enclosure Bimini top (black), I'll be reupholstering the upper level seating, white with black highlights. The upper floor is really worn, dirty, and I'm not sure if it can be cleaned to my standard. What is there that can be done about that? Or is repainting the only option? I've considered painting part of the boat on the outside black...the mid section..but not sure due to cost. I haven't priced it yet, but I'm sure it's expensive. Inside I plan on reupholstering the convertible seats, recovering the berths, new wood floors, and possibly at the end, new counter tops (granite), as I know there are options out there for this. So, having said all that, please let me know how you think I did on the price. The bank value is fairly low, but they don't take into account the newly installed engine, which is of great value to me...but not to them. Also, anyone that can point me to contractors in the Tacoma/Seattle area that can help me get this boat to where I want it, with an emphasis on quality, I would love some recommendations. I have no skills to do hardly any of the work myself. Thank you all for looking, and for any information provided.

Attached files

2001 Cierra 2855 Moored at Hylebos Marina, Tacoma, WA. Retire Army. Works at SeaTac International Airport.

Well, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. For everyone that says you did okay there will be others that will say you got screwed. The so called values by institutions, absent of a researched valuation by a certified marine surveyor, are going to be of the lowest risk possible.

In my experience, an new owner of any vessel new to them is, unless it is brand new, give it or have it given a thorough cleaning, then use the boat to get to know it. You may find that keeping the serviceable lighter canvas is a blessing in August. As to some of the presentation features like painting on stripes, reworking the interior and fussing about having the decks look perfect. You are going to spend more than you paid for the boat while increased value would be marginal at best. I believe you will change your mind about what changes you want to make several times in the first year. This is the same advise I would give any buyer and I use myself.

Everyone has different attitudes about their machines and I enjoy a museum piece, but prefer a driver.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the boat.

Boat prices are somewhat relative. As long as you are happy with what you paid, all is well. Any given boat is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"canoel" post=809998 wrote:
        Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the boat.

Boat prices are somewhat relative. As long as you are happy with what you paid, all is well. Any given boat is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
        What he said. If you are happy that's all that matters. Best of luck with your boat and the 2855 Ciera is one of Bayliners best.
        Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
        West River Yacht & Cruising Club
        www.wrycc.com

Comment

. I plan to put more money into this boat, but I'm not sure how much
          A lot! There will always be something that you want, need or have to repair on top of regular maintenance! See you on the water
          Ted G
          The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
          Designers Edition
          Mercury 350 Mag
          290 Volvo DP

Comment

To redo your outside or inside seating covers, the person who does this is Kim from Canvas Plus. Excellent work.
            David
            http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
            http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

eddya:

Do you know if the prior owner replaced the fuel tank when the re-power occurred? Hope so! Congrats on your boat. My boatyard owner friend has been redoing worn out (permanently soiled) fiberglass decks in Kiwi Grip and they look very nice.
              Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
              1989 2855
              Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

"watchthis" post=810200 wrote:
                eddya:

Do you know if the prior owner replaced the fuel tank when the re-power occurred? Hope so! Congrats on your boat. My boatyard owner friend has been redoing worn out (permanently soiled) fiberglass decks in Kiwi Grip and they look very nice.
                Hmm, I'm not sure if that was done or not. Can you explain the implications if it was not. Newbe here.
                2001 Cierra 2855 Moored at Hylebos Marina, Tacoma, WA. Retire Army. Works at SeaTac International Airport.

Comment

Is it your intention to paint the whole hull of the boat black? If so you might want to reconsider for a lighter color as black is notorious for fading and essentially magnifies every little thing and every nick and imperfection in there is. You'll notice that You don't see very many black boats out there. Those lighter colors are always much more forgiving especially in environment like a boat that sits out rubbing against bumpers and fenders and docks and in the bright sunlight much of the year. I'm not saying it's a bad idea necessarily but does warrant considerations.

Comment

"driz" post=810954 wrote:
                    Is it your intention to paint the whole hull of the boat black? If so you might want to reconsider for a lighter color as black is notorious for fading and essentially magnifies every little thing and every nick and imperfection in there is. You'll notice that You don't see very many black boats out there. Those lighter colors are always much more forgiving especially in environment like a boat that sits out rubbing against bumpers and fenders and docks and in the bright sunlight much of the year. I'm not saying it's a bad idea necessarily but does warrant considerations.
                    I see your point. The mid section side of the boat only, will be black. The top, and the bottom halves will remain white. I'm pretty stuck on black at this point, as the interior design will also be black highlights. Thanks again.

Comment

When I was in Poulsbo Viking Fest last weekend, I had a newer 300 SB navy blue hull, 285 white hull, 285 black hull slipped around me,

I agree, black did look the best.

Of course mine also :cheer:
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

Don't put any black or dark colored vinyl on your seating. It gets super hot in the sun and can burn bare skin.

Yes for Kim at Canvas Plus. Give her your hull number and she has all of the patterns as she used to work at Bayliner in Anacortes before they closed. She did skins for my 1992 28 and they were better than the ones that came with the boat new. Heavier vinyl. They are a bit tough to put on but I did mine on the grass in the back yard on sunny days. The vinyl gets soft and is easier to pull over the foam. Silicone spray on the foam too really helps. Use only stainless steel staples.

Also I took pictures as I took the old skins off and then used them in reverse for putting the new skins on.

If you need bimini work, go the Leta's Top Shop. She also worked at Bayliner with Kim and has all of the patterns too.

Kim also has all of the interior patterns like curtains and cushions.

We had her completely do our old 38 Bayliner and she did a fantastic job.

Comment

"Johnny Vintage" post=810965 wrote:
                          Don't put any black or dark colored vinyl on your seating. It gets supper hot in the sun and can burn bare skin.

Yes for Kim at Canvas Plus. Give her your hull number and she has all of the patterns as she used to work at Bayliner in Anacortes before they closed. She did skins for my 1992 28 and they were better than the ones that came with the boat new. Heavier vinyl. They are a bit tough to put on but I did mine on the grass in the back yard on sunny days. The vinyl gets soft and is easier to pull over the foam. Silicone spray on the foam too really helps. Use only stainless steel staples.

Also I took pictures as I took the old skins off and then used them in reverse for putting the new skins on.

If you need bimini work, go the Leta's Top Shop. She also worked at Bayliner with Kim and has all of the patterns too.

Kim also has all of the interior patterns like curtains and cushions.

We had her completely do our old 38 Bayliner and she did a fantastic job.
                          They both sound like who I need to go through. thanks for all the good info. Do you have any pics of the work done or in progress? I'm wondering do they do the whole job, or just cut the vinyl? Would I have to install the vinyl onto the seats is my question or have someone else install them. Thanks for the help!! Oh, as far as the seats...would the bimini top not keep the sun off the seats and keep them from getting so hot? That is what I was hoping, because I am really stuck on black. :-/

Comment

Sorry no pics. It was some time back. The vinyl comes all sown and ready to install. Slide them on and start staplin'. The hardest one is the helm seat.

Regarding the black, my 1992 2855 Ciera had tri colored seats and backs. White, light blue and dark blue. Even with the top up and on a hot day, the white was cool, the light blue was warm and the dark blue was too hot to sit on. We used to put beach towels on them.

You WILL be stuck on black, YOUCH:woohoo:

Attached files

Comment

Welcome Aboard !
                              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                              X