Newbe to Bayliners and the Forum-gctid808112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbe to Bayliners and the Forum-gctid808112

Hey Folks, Ed here. In the Seattle Area for the last couple of years, after retiring from the Army. Now I am an Air Traffic Controller at SeaTac International. I am purchasing my first big boat in a couple of days, if all Goes well. It's an 01 Bayliner Ciera 2855. It's showing it's age a little, but has a newly installed 383 stroker engine, still under two more years warranty and with only 23 hours on it. Like I said, I'm completely new to the cruiser type boats, and have a lot to learn. I do intend to remodel the cabin a bit, as it is out of date, and showing it's age. I'm also interested in updating the technology of the boat. I will be using it for coast hopping up to the islands, crabbing, fishing, and general hanging out and relaxing time. I hope I can look to this forum as a resource on this journey!! I've been lurking for a couple of days, and have seen some amazing projects on here, and read the stories of some amazing people. I'm excited to be a new member of this community.

The 2855 Ciera is one of Bayliners best ever designs. I had one and it is still the best rough water boat I have ever owned. Good luck with yours. Hope you have lots of fun adventures.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

A hearty welcome to you. A 2855 with a 383 is pretty much ideal, so if the rest of the boat checks out, you will want to jump on that if you can. A 383 was never offered from the factory....it should have been.
      Matt Train
      BOC Site Team
      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Welcome! You should also consider another enhancement to boating by joining a club. There are all sorts and I recommend you look for one that fits with your personality. Why? It's another way of learning where to go as well as where it's not a good plan sometimes. When you suddenly need a whatchamadingle someone in your network may have one. Then there's the discount at places like Fisheries Supply.

Again, Welcome!
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Welcome to BOC Ed. You'll find plenty of help here as the 2855 / 285 was a very popular boat from Bayliner and this site has many owners on here. We have one member who is a few slips over from me and is replacing the big block from his 2855 with a 383 stroker as we speak. Nice upgrade.
          Sea Venture
          2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
          Cruising the PNW and beyond.
          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
          MMSI 316029971

Kirk
          Drinks well with others.

Comment

Welcome to BOC! This is the place to get many of your questions answered by knowledgeable fellow boaters.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Welcome to the greatest boating forum, the 2855 is a great vessel.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Thanks all for the nice responses. I should have mentioned, or maybe I didn't know at the time, the price we agreed upon for the Ciera 2855. $24,500. What better place to ask than this forum if that is a good price or not. Taking into consideration the less than 1 year old 383 stroker with 23 hours on it, which was the biggest selling point of this boat. Also comes with pretty nice hard bottom dingy, and outboard that is newer. I will have it surveyed on Monday, and final decision after that. Any thoughts on the price appreciated. Any tips appreciated also, as I move forward. For example, since the engine has only 23 hours, and still two years on the warranty, I didn't think a mechanical inspection, manifolds, compression, and all of that was necessary. Am I correct, or am I mission something. Again, it's hard for me to even ask questions here, as I don't know very much about what I'm talking about right now. Any help or advice appreciated.

Comment

I go to NADA to at least get an estimate, as that is what a bank will loan on, and a major driver of overall value. The 383 won't be accounted for this here.

Second, I would absolutely get a mechanical inspection, compression, etc. All sales are final. The survey is going to get you about 80% of the way there, though.

Third, you are doing just fine...and seem to know more than you are letting on.

I would run the boat at wide open throttle in a water test and see what top speed an RPM you are getting...that will dictate if the engine is healthy or not.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"Ed_Appleberry" post=808819 wrote:
                    I should have mentioned, or maybe I didn't know at the time, the price we agreed upon for the Ciera 2855. $24,500. What better place to ask than this forum if that is a good price or not.
                    Hi, Ed, and welcome to BOC! Indeed, this is the place to educate yourself.

IMHO, any boat is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. If you are okay with what you spent, be happy. Regret is a bitter pill that will keep you from enjoying the experiences and adventures you have just initiated.

Yes, get it surveyed so you know what it will need. Sitting unattended in the water can create all kinds of issues, and a good survey and mechanical will spell it out for you.
                    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                    MMSI: 367637220
                    HAM: KE7TTR
                    TDI tech diver
                    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                    Kevin

Comment

My wife and I have a 2855 and love it. The size seems much more the 28' as does the ride. We have done some upgrades to ours as I am sure you will to yours. But they are a great platform to start with. As far as price, I think others have covered that. Spend what you are comfortable with and enjoy the ride!

Comment

Working...
                      X