New Owners of a 1991 Bayliner Capri project-gctid806202

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owners of a 1991 Bayliner Capri project-gctid806202

Hello everyone, I'm new to the club and owning a boat. I currently taking on a project with my best friend. we are going to restore a 1991 Bayliner Capri back to its former glory. it will be a long and difficult road but one we aren't afraid to take on. we are both fairly new to boating and even newer to restoring them.

Attached files

~~~~~~Project boat~~~~~~
    1991 Bayliner Capri
    Mercury Marine 175 HP/ 4.3L
    ALPHA ONE (GEN II) STERN DRIVE AND TRANSOM ASSEMBLY

Trying to learn as much as I can about my boat. Any advice or direction to a resource would be appreciated.

Hello, new myself (not to the club, just to posting), looks like she will be an interesting build. I am trying to learn everything I can right now about fiberglassing which will be needed for my own restore.

Do you plan to tackle the seats yourself or sub it out? If you do it yourself, please post pictures. I myself is looking forward to learning this skill set also.

Good luck with your build.

Rick

Comment

I plan on going the expensive way and buying the seats prefabbed, the foam is too rotten and missing large chunks to reuse them sadly but if I can find some in better condition for cheap I will be reupholstering them myself I have done it for my motorcycle and would like to give it a shot here. on the topic of pictures, I plan to post the entire restoration on a new forum once I start it I will link it. I hope you Restoration goes well, also any pictures of your work by chance?
      ~~~~~~Project boat~~~~~~
      1991 Bayliner Capri

Trying to learn as much as I can about my boat. Any advice or direction to a resource would be appreciated.

Comment

4.3 A1G2 is a good set up for that boat!

Give Kim @ Canvas plus a call...her price is really reasonable.
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Reupholstery is probably the easiest part of restoration. Save what's left of the original to use as patterns.
          1998 Capri 1950CL
          3 Liter MerCruiser
          Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
          2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

"Inucoru" post=806243 wrote:
            I plan on going the expensive way and buying the seats prefabbed, the foam is too rotten and missing large chunks to reuse them sadly but if I can find some in better condition for cheap I will be reupholstering them myself I have done it for my motorcycle and would like to give it a shot here. on the topic of pictures, I plan to post the entire restoration on a new forum once I start it I will link it. I hope you Restoration goes well, also any pictures of your work by chance?
            Don't blame you on the seats, although I will attempt to do most myself. However, no doubt their will be things that pros will have to do. No pictures yet. I'm in the process of getting her back here and have been reading and rereading Pau Hana's thread "Vessel insurance 101 (Very simplified!!!)" http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ery-simplified in the BOC Library so I can have her shipped with coverage.

Good luck, I'll be on the look out for your rebuild.

Rick

Comment

Thank you! Pau Hana's thread is an excellent bit of information I will be reading it in more depth in a while.

And good luck to you on your restoration as well.
              ~~~~~~Project boat~~~~~~
              1991 Bayliner Capri

Comment

Hey dude.. Glad to see someone else with the guts to try... I am rebuilding a 1990 capri cuddy. Dont let anyone get you down. The hardest part is finding the time and getting over the fear of messing up! Just do it.....
                1990 Capri cuddy 2072

Comment

Hey! Thank you so much for that. It really pumps me up.
                  ~~~~~~Project boat~~~~~~
                  1991 Bayliner Capri

Comment

Some extra photos I took today. What do you guys think should I be very worried about these. They look bad to me

Attached files

~~~~~~Project boat~~~~~~
                    1991 Bayliner Capri

Comment

Mine was in just as bad as shape as yours when I got it, took me about a year to redo everything. I bought a sewing machine and used all the old upholstery as patterns, my foam was all still good though. Everybody who see's the boat doesn't believe its a '90, everything looks brand new.
                      Proud owner 1998 Ciera 2855 5.7 Alpha 1
                      1990 Capri 1800 Force 125
                      2013 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670SV

Comment

This is my opinion as a rookie.. That doesnt seem major. I would take everything off. Put 2 layers of glass behind it then fill it in with peanut butter and put 2 layers of glass on top. Re drill holes then put bigger washers.
                        1990 Capri cuddy 2072

Comment

"Inucoru" post=806909 wrote:
                          Some extra photos I took today. What do you guys think should I be very worried about these. They look bad to me
                          The bow eye looks loose. Remove it and repair the Gelcoat and reinstall the bow eye using urethane sealant. The other gouges look nasty but they too can be repaired. You winch hook should be below the winch post roller, probably why things are so scared up.

If you haven't seen these yet, http://boatworkstoday.com wrote:
                          This guy
                          has some great videos on fiberglass boat repair.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556
                          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Did you get started yet?
                            1990 Capri cuddy 2072

Comment

Working...
                            X