New owner of 3685 Avanti

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of 3685 Avanti

Hi everyone! I Just purchased a 98 model 3685 and would like to connect with other owners of this model to glean knowledge of the nuances of this boat. Bayliner only provided a spec sheet. No owners manual. Does this boat have fresh water, or sea water cooling with the twin 7.4 MPI's? Does it have pump impellers that need to be changed periodically? If so, does anyone know the part number?
    Last edited by ksanders; 11-08-2017, 11:49 PM.

Welcome aboard BOC.

As far as the cooling system if you have a heat exchanger then you have closed cooling. It will be an elongated tube mounted front of the engine. System are partial or complete. As far as impellers it will depend upon the pump you have, it could be an aftermarket. Best to get the numbers off the pump and do a google search.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Bonanza, I'm assuming you got what you needed, but if not, don't hesitate to reach out. I've got a 1999 3685 on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky and love it. As for 7.4MPI's, you probably have open (fresh water) cooling. Believe the Horizon's were the closed cooling. If in fact you do have open cooling, yes, you'll need to get your captain's log started with timing of your impeller changes for your engines and generator. I'm on an "every 2 years" schedule. Another important maintenance item is the transmission fluid. Depending on your usage, changing fluid annually is cheap insurance. The Port side Velvet drives of this vintage are weak. I've replaced the pump on my Port Velvet transmission. The pump is a replaceable part with the boat in the water and is typically what lets go if you don't continue use with a slipping transmission.

My project next week is to upgrade from a manual toilet to a vacuflush system. Looks pretty simple after pulling the refrig out.

Comment

Pictures??

Comment

"60 Bonanza" post=774765 wrote:
          Hi everyone! I Just purchased a 98 model 3685 and would like to connect with other owners of this model to glean knowledge of the nuances of this boat. Bayliner only provided a spec sheet. No owners manual. Does this boat have fresh water, or sea water cooling with the twin 7.4 MPI's? Does it have pump impellers that need to be changed periodically? If so, does anyone know the part number?
          Hey there 60Bonanza . . . should we call you Hoss? Was just wondering if you'd found all the info that you were looking for on your 3685. The Admiral and I are "deposit poor" on the 3685 that we're looking at. . . . just have to find a respectable surveyor for the NJ/Philly area and have the survey done, agree on our trade-in price and the buying price . . . and then she's ours!!! Anyway, what I was referencing - the marina manager gave me all the books to read and peruse through while the snow is falling and the former owner kept all of them in pretty decent shape. Let me know your questions and I'll look through the info and see what I can do for you. . . . . :woohoo:

Ours is the 7.4's (380HP) with FWC (fresh water cooling - means enclosed, not sea water) . . . I'll look for the impeller's part number and see what I can find.
          1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
          Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
          WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
          James H. Stradling

Comment

Just wanted to chime in as another owner of a new to us 99 Avanti 3685. . . .we just got her a couple of months ago

Comment

I tried to start a "group" using the Avanti 3685 as our base. Check it out and join up!! Our old group of 2452 owner's was a pretty lively spot! :woohoo: . . . . actually, it still is!
              1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
              Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
              WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
              James H. Stradling

Comment

Just purchased a 1999 Avanti 3685 with freshwater Horizons. I'm glad to see several "birds of a feather" here

Comment

Originally posted by Verboatn View Post
                  Just purchased a 1999 Avanti 3685 with freshwater Horizons. I'm glad to see several "birds of a feather" here
                  You didn't happen to buy the one in Ohio, did you?
                  Dave
                  2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                  2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                  2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                  http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Working...
                  X