1996 2858 Owner-gctid695243

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 2858 Owner-gctid695243

A couple of years ago I purchased a 1996 2858 with trailer that had a seized up 7.4 due to water ingestion. The owner had let it sit so there was no hope of saving the engine. I've been reading a lot of posts since that time and in a number of them the owners indicated that these boats in their opinion are marginally powered. Since I sometimes have a number of people on the boat I was considering getting a 496 stroker to put in it when I ran across a pristine 1999 502 Mag MPI 415 HP with 430 hours that I bought. It came from a freshwater lake in Texas and looks absolutely new. I'm also taking out the Bravo 2 and replacing it with a Volvo Penta 280 Power Trim and a 1.78 DP outdrive. I am partial to Volvo as I was a Volvo dealer for 24 years and still have all of my special tools to be able to work on it. I also acquired a Kohler 4CZ generator to install to run everything. My biggest problem is having the time to work on it! About the only time I can is when I take leave from my job. At least I have a boat to use until I get this finished. I've had a 28 ft. Omega flybridge for 27 years. When I bought it, it would hardly get on a plane with the stock 260 and SP drive. When Volvo came out with the exchange program, I put a DP lower on it which gained me 4 mph at the same rpm. Several years later we took a 5.7 GXI C 320 HP in trade that I installed and the boat now performs very well. So I am looking at this 2858 as being our retirement boat. I really don't want anything bigger as I pull my boat out of the water for the winter and take it back to the shop. The admiral and I both love the water and love taking the family to the island to spend the day. I know that with the amount I will have in this when I am done I could have bought a running boat. But this one will be exactly the way I want it when I get done! Happy Boating!!

Pete
    1996 2858 7.4L B2
    Soon to be
    502 Mag MPI 415 HP
    Volvo Penta 280 power trim 280 DP
    SP-C upper DP-D 1.78 lower
    Kohler 4CZ
    Panama City, Fl

Welcome to the forum!!

Nice looking boat you got there. I bet you can't wait to get the conversion done.

Good luck!
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

canoel that is a HUGE understatement!!! LOL
      1996 2858 7.4L B2
      Soon to be
      502 Mag MPI 415 HP
      Kohler 4CZ
      Panama City, Fl

Comment

That will be a great engine/leg combo for the boat. I had the 350MAG 300HP in mine and could get into the mid 30kt range wide open. Another 50% horsepower and you'll have to install a grab rail to the flybridge so you don't fly off the back!
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Welcome Aboard !

The way you want it, exactly !
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Nice boat, you will be very happy with it, especially after the upgrades. It's just about perfect for two people. We had a 1998 version with the 7.4 MPI, It wasn't underpowered, but it did need tabs to get on plane in reasonable fashion. No problem staying on plane once it was there though. Economy was excellent, averaging close to 2 mpg over the 5 years we had it. The duo prop will be a great upgrade.

James
            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
            Lowrance Electronics!
            MMSI
            VHF
            CFA 2587
            Boating on Georgian Bay
            Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Welcome on board great looking boat.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Not enough time to work on Ya boat? I hav no idea what your talking about :silly: I know you said your a VP guy but you could just leave the Bravo assembly in it and bolt on the B3 lower. Might save you some of that time we ain't got. At any rate put up some pics of your project when Ya get a chance
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

TenMile Yes it should perform pretty good. Found a Boathouse Bulletin that Mercury did on a 288 with a 383 350 HP that would top out at 40 MPH. I would expect the 502 415HP to be in the mid 40's. Not that I will ever need that much speed, but I think it will carry a load better and I shouldn't have to run it as hard to have to have a 28 to 30 MPH cruise speed.

builderdude Yea, I could leave the Bravo in with a B3, but then it wouldn't be just the way I want it! :P I have a boat to use while I'm working on this, so I don't have a need to compromise on how I want do it. Besides, the steering is frozen in the transom shield, it won't turn at all. And I already have all the Merc stuff out of the boat. So I will sell the drive and shield sometime after I complete the repower. By the way, you're doing some excellent work on your rebuild!

I do have a couple of questions to ask, but I will start new threads for those.
                  1996 2858 7.4L B2
                  Soon to be
                  502 Mag MPI 415 HP
                  Kohler 4CZ
                  Panama City, Fl

Comment

Working...
                  X