No announcement yet.

Drinking water from your tanks???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the first year I bleached the tank and kept it topped off fresh. If you have a tank, you need to use it or it goes bad. When I replaced the sender and took a few pics inside, I started to drink bottled water and booze. The mineral growths and mud in the bottom of the tank grossed me out. The tank doesn't leak, so I might clean it up and try a food grade coating...but until then, the tank is for washing and rinsing, not drinking.
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

We don't worry about it. I'd drink from my tank. We have a 5 gal bottle/pump we refill when we love the water. I clean the tank every year with bleach. Love ya, Peggy.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by Cool_Beans View Post
        I did the first year I bleached the tank and kept it topped off fresh. If you have a tank, you need to use it or it goes bad. When I replaced the sender and took a few pics inside, I started to drink bottled water and booze. The mineral growths and mud in the bottom of the tank grossed me out. The tank doesn't leak, so I might clean it up and try a food grade coating...but until then, the tank is for washing and rinsing, not drinking.
        Not sure where this crud is coming from as I have never seen this in any of my tanks. Annual disinfecting with bleach/chlorine is mandatory to keep it fresh and potable. I do have a large 4" access hole on my tank, looking inside it looks like a water bottle you would purchase at the store, not a trace of anything in there whatsoever. Clean as a whistle.

Here is a picture of the access I mention when I was installing an auto fill system.

Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post

Not sure where this crud is coming from as I have never seen this in any of my tanks. Annual disinfecting with bleach/chlorine is mandatory to keep it fresh and potable. I do have a large 4" access hole on my tank, looking inside it looks like a water bottle you would purchase at the store, not a trace of anything in there whatsoever. Clean as a whistle.
          I have an older 3870 with an aluminum water tank. Chlorinated tap water over 30+ years reacts with the metal and forms Aluminum Chloride. I'll post a pic tonight, it's kind of gross.
          . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, aluminum water tank could get pretty crusty after 30 years🤢

Here you go, pretty nasty. It doesn't leak, yet...planning to cut some access ports and clean it out and maybe seal it with a potable water sealer.
          Attached Files

Comment

Never thought of those aluminum tanks and assumed it was plastic. I can definitely see where aluminum would react with water and create a mess over time.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

What can aluminum tanks be cleaned with? and how?
              John
              1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
              (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

Working...
              X