Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Very Cool furnace

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Very Cool furnace

    I am Tooo happy this evening!

    My New Wallas furnace upgrade is installed and working fantastic! Thanks to the great folks at Scan Marine! https://www.scanmarineusa.com/

    What I did was replace/upgrade one of the existing Wallas forced air furnaces on my boat to the new Viking Air model.

    The REALLY cool thing about the new Viking Air is that it has an app on my iphone so that I can turn it on and off, adjust the temperature, basically run the furnace from ANYWHERE!

    Here is a Great example. Instead of just setting the thermostat and burning diesel unnecessarily, I can see that it’s going to get cold, and turn on the furnace from my phone.

    I can also for example turn up the temperature when I am on my way to the boat, so that I arrive to a warm toasty boat.

    The furnace puts out 11,000 BTU making it perfect for an area like the lower cabins on a 4788, or the whole boat on a boat with less space to heat.

    It is dead quiet like all Wallas furnaces, and it modulates the heat output to match the heating demand, making for no hot/cold like a standard on/off furnace.

    Here are some photos of the remote control and the new app.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	1A78CD11-CC89-4E9D-94BA-16E26629D376.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	545694Click image for larger version

Name:	687D33CB-C0EF-4837-9397-6046A8AFAF79.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	545691Click image for larger version

Name:	56EB99DF-20D3-4454-9BD4-EFEF6D20B197.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	545692Click image for larger version

Name:	5763CB2B-A783-41AC-8B28-4A9CA90BCDFE.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	545693

    KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

    #2
    I am TOO happy to wake up on a brisk morning to a warm toasty boat!

    KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

    Comment


      #3
      Regarding lower cabins - What kind of outside temps is the 11,000 btus good for? Do you have any insulation, hatch thermal covers, etc?

      Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to determine heat loss on the 4588 and the lower cabins are similar size to the 4788. I want one system, however, and hydronic with 4 or 5 coil fans. I don't want to oversize. I want it to be able to maintain delta T of 50* so exterior temp of 20* F.
      Irony
      1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
      Portsmouth, NH

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Kwood View Post
        Regarding lower cabins - What kind of outside temps is the 11,000 btus good for? Do you have any insulation, hatch thermal covers, etc?

        Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to determine heat loss on the 4588 and the lower cabins are similar size to the 4788. I want one system, however, and hydronic with 4 or 5 coil fans. I don't want to oversize. I want it to be able to maintain delta T of 50* so exterior temp of 20* F.
        I can keep the cabins in the mid 60’s in any temperature I’ve seen, which has been as low as 10 or so.

        No extra insulation.

        KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        where are we right now​​​​​​???​

        https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

        Comment


          #5
          Good to know.

          I was thinking a 12kW [40,000 btu/hr] hydronic unit. If the lower cabins take ~ 15K btu/hr considering losses through fan coils, etc. that leaves 25K for the saloon and pilot house. May not be enough...............
          Irony
          1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
          Portsmouth, NH

          Comment


            #6
            that is pretty slick, Kevin. I'm on the boat right now eyeballing how i'd install it. do you have both a cold air return and a fresh air return? it looks like the fuel pump is integral to this unit. That seems more tidy, too.

            thanks for the post
            Tally and Vicki
            "Wickus" Meridian 341
            MMSI 338014939

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by talman View Post
              that is pretty slick, Kevin. I'm on the boat right now eyeballing how i'd install it. do you have both a cold air return and a fresh air return? it looks like the fuel pump is integral to this unit. That seems more tidy, too.

              thanks for the post
              The Wallas units have two ducts for fresh air return.

              On mine one duct comes from the outside. The other takes room air and recirculates it.

              That way I get a decent air exchange.

              Theoretically I could just use room air but then there would be no fresh air exchange.

              KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              where are we right now​​​​​​???​

              https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Kwood View Post
                Good to know.

                I was thinking a 12kW [40,000 btu/hr] hydronic unit. If the lower cabins take ~ 15K btu/hr considering losses through fan coils, etc. that leaves 25K for the saloon and pilot house. May not be enough...............
                40K BTU is a bit more than I have, you would probably be OK, perhaps a bit tight in Really cold weather.

                KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                where are we right now​​​​​​???​

                https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ksanders View Post

                  The Wallas units have two ducts for fresh air return.

                  On mine one duct comes from the outside. The other takes room air and recirculates it.

                  That way I get a decent air exchange.

                  Theoretically I could just use room air but then there would be no fresh air exchange.
                  yes, there has to be a fresh air intake so that the incoming air can be heated and displace the moist damp air that accumulates inside the cabin.....without it, things seem damp all the time.

                  I purchased and installed a wallas on the 35 that I had, I installed the furnace unit in the engine bay and used 3" double wall drain pipe (ran under the side decks all the way forward) as the duct to take the main heat all the way forward, where it heated the stateroom and then pushed any stale air out thru the salon, and kept the interior warm and dry.
                  I cut holes in the bulkheads and installed the pipe in sections cut as long as possible and still get it installed.. I didnt glue the joints, but just put a screw in to keep them together in the event I needed to remove any of it for access to deck hardware fasteners.... the drain pipe worked great and saved a pocket full of money, over the cost of the wallas ducting$$$$...

                  my thoughts were that if I found that I needed heat somewhere between the furnace and the outlet in the forward berth, I could cut a hole anywhere in the pipe and glue a fitting in the hole to make a heat duct for a compartment, but the way the wallas works, it kept the boat at an even temperature all the time throughout the boat.... the weaker of the two heat outlets was piped to the salon, it wasnt hardly worth the effort, but we could use it to dry a coat or shoes faster than just hanging them up to dry...

                  the problem of having to wear sweatshirt and long pants all the time when lounging about, and the perpetual fogged windows and damp bedding was a thing of the past... it would keep our boat at 70-72 degrees in weather down to about 15 degrees with the wind blowing about 15-20mph....

                  ive had the webasto heaters, but I liked the wallas much better... mounted in the engine room, it was nearly silent. its well worth the investment if one spends much time on the boat in cool or wet weather...



                  NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

                  1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X