Dehumidification How do you keep your boat dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehumidification How do you keep your boat dry

Anybody that spends much time on a enclosed boat knows that they get damp inside.
    First, it’s always humid near the ocean, and second a closed up boat just seems to collect moisture.

How do you keep your boay dry?

Here’s how I do it.

Our weather everytime except the summer seems to be rainy and humid. The whole boat feels damp.

I ended up using household dehumidifiers bought at home depot.
    There is one in the salon, and another in the master berth.

These are 30 pint per day GE models, and Very quiet!

There s nothing like a Dry boat!

What do you use?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Good question, I used a portable in home unit that worked but was large and loud. The size was the big problem - added to the portable heaters it just didn’t work so I am looking for alternatives-

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket List View Post
      Good question, I used a portable in home unit that worked but was large and loud. The size was the big problem - added to the portable heaters it just didn’t work so I am looking for alternatives-
      I tried a big 70 pint home unit and it was super duper loud.

Then I tried a little 30 pint GE unit and it’s very quiet. Perhaps a smaller one would work better?

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

If you're in a cool climate, a diesel stove or wood stove will help. Also venting your cooking and shower steam makes a big difference. I was a commercial fisherman in the PNW and a stove was the only way then to have dry bedding and clothes. When you're trying to keep warm everyone wants to seal their boat up tight, but that just keeps the water inside, your clothes wet and the windows steamy. I have a wood boat and also vent my bilges to stop the boat smell. Insulation makes a big difference.I have a big, old boat with lots of room. My main heat is hydronic, a diesel fired boiler in the engine room. Then I have a diesel stove that might run all day in the winter, In the salon a pellet stove (the cheapest heat), and in the back of the salon a wood stove. The pellet stove and the wood stove both have water coils that can heat the boiler .Wood isn't cheap unless you can get free wood and have a place to store it. Heating with wood in 0°F, I burn about 2 cords a month.
        Propane, besides the danger, makes water as a byproduct when burning. So cooking on a propane stove is putting moisture in the air. Wood and diesel stoves draw wet air from inside and that gets replaced by usually dryer outside air.

Comment

For the past 6 yrs our drying process in the boat during the winter lay up is:
          Place 30 pint GE unit close to the galley sink, water drain in sink and set unit to 60%
          Place an oil electric heater in v-berth and salon area
          Place box fan in passage way
          I install silver bubble insulation on salon, galley, and pilot house windows.

Internal temperature averages 50 deg F during winter.

When we are aboard during spring our Espar D7 provides the primary heating needs with the small electric OEM heaters to help supplement heat.
          1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
          12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
          MMSI# 367650430
          FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Comment

We are full time live a boards in the PMW. So lots of rain and mist. We run two dehumidifiers, a 30 in the bow amd a 70 in the main salon. Propane heat and a fiberglass hull. The 30 fills about every 3 days and the 70 fills about every two weeks. They are both set at 50% humidity. So surprisingly enough on this boat we don't have any moisture issues. And we keep the thermostat set to 67.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Martin View Post
              We are full time live a boards in the PMW. So lots of rain and mist. We run two dehumidifiers, a 30 in the bow amd a 70 in the main salon. Propane heat and a fiberglass hull. The 30 fills about every 3 days and the 70 fills about every two weeks. They are both set at 50% humidity. So surprisingly enough on this boat we don't have any moisture issues. And we keep the thermostat set to 67.
              Thats what I found as well. The dehumidifiers not only keep thebast dry, they also add some heat as well.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Does anyone here use DampRid or Charcoal or anything else in the boat?
                Also, anything down in the bilge?
                John
                1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
                (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

Originally posted by shade2u2 View Post
                  Does anyone here use DampRid or Charcoal or anything else in the boat?
                  Also, anything down in the bilge?
                  I actually put a dehumidifier in the engine room a week or so ago. With the engine room vents sealed for the winter, it sure dried it out. I am too happy!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I have an 83' wood boat in the PNW. I power vent my bilges to keep them dry and to stop the boat smell. I use 3" or 4" bilge blowers with a controller to slow them way down. I don't use dehumidifiers, but have a diesel stove and others. As long as you change the air you can keep a boat dry. I was a commercial fisherman and ran a diesel stove 24/7.

Comment

We have a 37' Irwin CC,we live on board full time in the PNW above the 49th. The first year we tried the little dehumidifiers you can buy off Amazon, worked well but they burned out quick. This year we got a 30 pint model that's working really well. It is a bit noisy but not too bad. The boat was spray foamed by a previous owner above the waterline in the main cabin and both heads and we cover the hatches in the main cabin with heat gun plastic in the winter. We also put bubblewrap in the portlights in the winter, a little bit of insulation that still lets the light in. Heating is by propane and electric when alongside. During the winter it's one 20lb tank of propane a week and $135 a month for hydro. Cooling, we don't need cooling, just open the hatches. I'm building little fans for each cabin out of the computer size fans thatc came out of the little dehumidifiers, moving the air around really helps reduce condensation. The current dehumidifier helps with the this too as it's right by the heater and blows the heat around.

Comment

Originally posted by kmndes View Post
                        We have a 37' Irwin CC,we live on board full time in the PNW above the 49th. The first year we tried the little dehumidifiers you can buy off Amazon, worked well but they burned out quick. This year we got a 30 pint model that's working really well. It is a bit noisy but not too bad. The boat was spray foamed by a previous owner above the waterline in the main cabin and both heads and we cover the hatches in the main cabin with heat gun plastic in the winter. We also put bubblewrap in the portlights in the winter, a little bit of insulation that still lets the light in. Heating is by propane and electric when alongside. During the winter it's one 20lb tank of propane a week and $135 a month for hydro. Cooling, we don't need cooling, just open the hatches. I'm building little fans for each cabin out of the computer size fans thatc came out of the little dehumidifiers, moving the air around really helps reduce condensation. The current dehumidifier helps with the this too as it's right by the heater and blows the heat around.
                        I love those 30 pint dehumidifiers Worth their weigh in gold!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Ok. I'm looking into a dehumidifier. I was looking at a 30 pint and there sure are a lot of them out there.
                          Anyone used one with "Peltier" technology? Supposedly very quiet and energy efficient as there is no compressor. This is also called thermo-electric.
                          John
                          1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
                          (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

Originally posted by shade2u2 View Post
                            Ok. I'm looking into a dehumidifier. I was looking at a 30 pint and there sure are a lot of them out there.
                            Anyone used one with "Peltier" technology? Supposedly very quiet and energy efficient as there is no compressor. This is also called thermo-electric.
                            I’ve only used the ones with a compressor, and they work Great!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                            X