My experiment worked! happiness is a DRY bilge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experiment worked! happiness is a DRY bilge

A bit less than three weeks ago I tried an experiment. In the winter in Seward Alaska it is HUMID. Think of Seatte and Doubble the rain fall.

I had a spare GE 120 volt Dehumidifier and decided to stick it in the engine room (which was sealed off for the winter) to see how it did.
    Previously I have had water running down the walls, and a constant dampness.

Now my bilge is DRY! Not just dry, but REALLY DRY feeling. No condensation, No water on the walls DRY.

I could not be happier!!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Kevin,
    Do you have engine block heaters that you keep turned on? Do you drain the the engine room dehumidifier into the bilge and just let the bilge pumps take care of it?
    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
    MV Kia Orana
    Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Yea Kevin, inquiring minds want to know? lol
      Azzurra
      Seattle, WA
      Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Yes I have engine room block heaters. I ran them for years. They kept the engine room warmer, but at a huge expense, in the area of over a hundred dollars a month in electricity costs. The engie room was still damp though.

The dehumidifier solved the whole issue. I know it won’t work in the summer though, as right now the engine room is sealed up for the winter. The unit drains into the bilge right next to the bilge pump.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

What type/size of dehumidifier did you use? This last winter I sealed the engine bay vents to keep it warm when it got below freezing outside. That worked well but I was concerned about moisture. It didn't turn out to be an issue this year. I realize this may be an experiment for each boat in each climate to find the right capacity but still curious what you used. I see in one of your other posts that you have a couple of dehumidifiers in the interior living areas, guessing you tried the experiment with one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony B View Post
            What type/size of dehumidifier did you use? This last winter I sealed the engine bay vents to keep it warm when it got below freezing outside. That worked well but I was concerned about moisture. It didn't turn out to be an issue this year. I realize this may be an experiment for each boat in each climate to find the right capacity but still curious what you used. I see in one of your other posts that you have a couple of dehumidifiers in the interior living areas, guessing you tried the experiment with one of those?
            I had an extra 70 pint dehumidifier sitting around, having bought a couple 30 pint units for the interior that were much smaller.

I think the trick to dehumidifiers is leaving them on all the time, more than the size. It takes time, especially on the interior of a boat (not so much the engine room). Everything on a boats interior seems tohold moisture and needs to release that moisture inbto the frier air around it.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
            X