Heat system for BayLiner 4087

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat system for BayLiner 4087

Greetings. Yes spring has sprung, well at least we hope. However cool still prevails. My problem is PNW conditions. My BayLiner 4087 came equipped with two AC units, granted heat is available if you have continuous 120 volts and warmish water. One has gone before my purchase and the remaining system resides under one of the dinner seats. The question is who out there has a 4087 and if so what type of heat do you have and where is it mounted. I would prefer a diesel fueled system hot air and install it to push air through the AC plenum system. Bill

Well, I do not have a 4087 so I don’t know where to mount them, but I do have diesel forced air heat.

The furnaces I have are made by a company called Wallas out of finland, and they are sold by a company called Scan Marine in Seattle.

I am also thinking that our member Pete (pau hana) had a 4087 and I think he even had one or more Wallas furnace in it

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I just sold a 4087. It was equpped with a Webasto Airtop (model 55 I think) forced air furnace. The mounting location was on the back wall of the engine compartment just to the left ( if facing forward) of the removable wall panel in the aft stateroom. There ducting sent to the aft stateroom, the salon, the forward bathroom and the forward stateroom. The 4087 is a lot of boat for that heater and performance wise it was enough to take the edge off of the cold up front but not enough for toasty warmth. Plenty fine for normal recreational use. If living aboard, two units might be desirable or better yet a well sized hydronic heater.

Comment

I’ve had this boat for over 15 years and have changed my opinion several times on the best way to heat it.
        When I first moved it to the PNW I really wanted a diesel hydronic system.
        But it never reached high enough on the boat bucks priority list so I never installed one.

My boat came out of Florida with three AC units. (heat pumps) on board. If you’re at the dock or running the gen they’ll bring the temp up fast.
        The negative side is the noise. They’re not quite.

After spending time alongside boats with diesel heat, I find they put out a bit of noise too. More for your neighbors than inside.

As of today: I’ve determined electric heat for most of the time is best. The boat came with 4 wall mounted electric heaters that weren’t very inefficient.

I replaced the originals with Pick-a watt units. These can be wired (depending on the boat systems wiring and CB’s) from 250 to 1500 watts. I set mine based on the original wire/CB size thinking I could increase them later if necessary. They existing system carries 1000 watts. The originals were 750, the units were worn out so they didn’t to much but make noise and blow dust around. So far the 1000 watts are enough.

In addition, I removed one unit in the main salon and use the circuit to power an LED fireplace with a built-in quartz electric heater. This thing besides giving a nice ambiance in the room pumps out very quiet heat.

At the dock, no problem, on the hook we normally run the gen for charging batteries, a 9 cu ft freezer and two refers several hours a day so we coordinate this with heating the boat for the evening.

I’m in the process of setting the freezer and second AC only refer up so they’ll run of the inverter.
        Depending on how cold things get I may add some diesel assistance yet.

Comment

• Tiltrider1
          Tiltrider1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you have a good handle on the heat thing. I like pickawatt heaters by king. I too have heat pumps. I also have diesel hydronic heat that has an attached electric boiler. I find no one source of heat is the answer for all conditions as you have found out.

Greetings #4 comments great, but where is it mounted. My boat has one ac/heat system. One was removed from the area behind the electric panel. Any source for your nstallation. Regards Bill

Comment

• PACRIMRAT
          PACRIMRAT commented
          Editing a comment
          Bill,
          Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 4087 interior. I have a 4788.
          Chris

When we owned our 4087. it also had 2 Cruisaire cooling/reverse cycle heat systems which were fine with either constant dock power or the generator running. As we were on a tight budget at the time, we decided to install a forced air diesel heater, and settled on an Espar unit (I think it was model D8).

The heater was mounted below the floor (roof of engine room) just ahead of the Stbd engine, and the air inlet was halfway down the stairs towards the forward cabins. We had 2 outlets in the salon (one below the dinette and one through the base of the sofa, the two forward staterooms each had an outlet, and two outlets in the aft cabin. Each of the heads also had outlets. Luckily for us, the installer was very experienced and knew what he was talking about when it came to sizing the hoses to each outlet. Hoses to the salon and forward cabin were regular 4" diameter, but to get the required volume of heated air to the aft cabin the hose there was 8" diameter (from memory) and the system was really effective from a heat standpoint, but OMG it was unbearably noisy!

It turned out that the source of the noise was the intake air into the Espar unit, and the problem was quickly solved by the installation of an intake silencer.

Since those days, we've had an Espar hydronic heater on our Meridian 490, and a Webasto 20/20 on our Bayliner 5788, but neither of them compare to the forced air system for rapidly heating the boat.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
        X