Heating your boat in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KnottyBuoy View Post
    Has anyone tried a reverse cycle heat pump. We are living aboard in Toronto ON Canada and just installed a 12,000 BTU unit. It's rated for as low as -35 degC. It does derate at lower temperature (7,100 BTU at -25degC). We also have a few built in resistance heaters on board our Bayliner 4588. Should this be enough?
    Once the water temperature drops below a specific level the reverse cycle becomes ineffective, and the unit is basically a resistive heater.

The challenge with heating the boat using resistive heaters is one of shore power availability. A single 30 amp shore power connector is only 120*30 or 3600 watts and that is at a full 30 amp draw which is unattainable except intermittently. That is only 3412*3.6 or 12,200 BTU. I can tell you that my 4788 with temps in the 20F range takes around 30,000 BTU to keep the boat livable. If the temps drop below 20, and or the wind picks up then I also need to run resistive heating to make the living space in the 60F range.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Thanks Kevin. I should have specified that this is an air based heat pump system and can operate as low as -35degC without resistance heat. We also have 4x 1500W resistance heaters that were factory installed. Do you have that in your boat? We are also fortunate enough to have access to 4x 30A service.

Good to know that it takes about 30,000 BTU to heat your boat. Is that with a semi clear shrink wrap on?

Comment

Working...
      X