Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a good time for your heat pump to fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lepke
    replied
    Control boards from most items can be repaired. There are several people/companies online that repair circuit boards. They check each item on the board for correct reading/operation and the soldier connection. Vibration in the product sometimes breaks the soldier connection. You usually see this in an intermittent problem. The cost for repair is usually 5x to 10x cheaper than a new oem control board. I've had electric stove, washer, radio, radar, loran (long time ago) and so on repaired. Most components in products can be sourced somewhere besides the oem. ebay is a good place to look.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    OK, that sounds like PACNW weather. When I loved in Portland many tides ago it didn’t get hot often, but when it got hot, it really seemed Hot!

Leave a comment:

• Tiltrider1
    replied
    Yes, but only about 15 days a year. When you need it, you really need it. Most the time you open a door and you are good.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiltrider1 View Post
    Update, I took the controll box apart, found a burnt wire and a melted relay. I suspect a tired spade connector started creating resistance which in time turned into a major heat source which in time burnt the wire and melted the relay. I was able to read the relay data. I ordered a new relay on line for $15. Hopefully that will repair the controll box. If that fails to solve the problem I can buy a new controll board for $670. The good news is I should have my bedroom heat pump up and working by mid March. Which is great since I won’t need it until mid July.
    Do you use AC in the summer???

Leave a comment:

• michel
    replied
    Thats great. Reminds me last year my electric furnace also burned some spades at the control box. Twice. turns out it was caused by the shore power cord, it wasent great anymore. Changed the ends and all as been well since. Just saying the heat that caused the spade to fail might be upsteam.

Leave a comment:

• Tiltrider1
    replied
    Update, I took the controll box apart, found a burnt wire and a melted relay. I suspect a tired spade connector started creating resistance which in time turned into a major heat source which in time burnt the wire and melted the relay. I was able to read the relay data. I ordered a new relay on line for $15. Hopefully that will repair the controll box. If that fails to solve the problem I can buy a new controll board for $670. The good news is I should have my bedroom heat pump up and working by mid March. Which is great since I won’t need it until mid July.

Leave a comment:

• Tiltrider1
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, the water temp is always above 40 degrees. They have not been very efficient lately. This has been one of those once every 20 year cold streaks.

• ksanders
    replied
    That is zero fun!, but at least you are warm now!

Do heat pumps work pretty good with your winter water temps?

Leave a comment:

• Tiltrider1
    started a topic When is a good time for your heat pump to fail?

When is a good time for your heat pump to fail?

came home today and the galley heat pump was off. I hit the power button and nothing, not even a light. Checked for power at the controll box. Showed good voltage at the unit. Swapped controllers with the heat pump in the bedroom. Not the problem. Swapped control boxes with the two units. Yea!!! Galley heat pump works again. Better, only use the bedroom heat pump for A/C. This gives me time to find a new controll box. Not what I had planned for a Wednesday night but when would have been a good time.

worst case, if I can’t find a replacement controll box, I will have to buy a whole new unit. At least the bedroom unit is easy to reach.
Working...
X