Insulating drapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulating drapes?

Has anyone here tried insulating drapes to help reduce heat loss?

What I am finding is during syustained cold snaps when it gets down to 10 degrees or so my boat furnaces run full blast and the temp inside still drops into the low 50’s.

Yes, I could increase the size of my diesel furnaces, which I might do, except that I do not plan on being in Alaska for the winter past 2020.

What I do now and it works is to run my generator 24X7 during these few day long times and run my four built in electric heaters which ass another 10,000 BTU to the heat output, not including the effect of having a 600 poubn 160 degree steel mass in the engine space.

I do have a 50 amp service with two 30 amp power inlets to the boat, and I can run a couple of the built in electric heaters, but as many already know a 30 amp inlet is only really good to 20 amps or so 24X7.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Office Depo or Staples has bubble wrap for shipping. It’s very easy to cut it to fit any window shape. The bubbles make great installation and let the light in. The other trick is outline the window with weather stripping then cover with clear plastic wrap.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

I have reflectix -- bought at Lowes (not available at Home Depot) by the roll. Approximately $50 if memory serves me. It is a bubble wrap with metal (thin!!!) on both sides. The theory is that it will reflect heat (out or in)

The reality is it is Better than nothing but not the be all and end all I was hoping for. The reflectix does still feel cold on the windows.
      Yes, i would buy it again.

What I like: It is easy to cut (scissors) and stays put in the window frame without any issues. It is stiffer than bubble wrap.
      What I don't care for: When it is up in the windows I cannot see out. It is cave-like and for me I noticed my spirit sagged inside the boat. I need to see out.

I also have pieces cut for my round portlights which is great when I don't want any light disturbing me.

Good luck. And if you'd like me to put a small piece in an envelop, I could do that. It is essentially bubble wrap (small bubbles) with a thin layer of aluminum foil on each side.

Another thing: The aluminum foil does not tear like the cheap stuff you get at discount stores. When placed long term in windows though, the silvery part does start to wear off. For the price, I was satisfied (just can't deal with the total darkness issue)

Reflectix from today's article:
      [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name: FrogByMoss.jpg Views: 1 Size: 238.8 KB ID: 1300","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516203","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Each circle you see is 3/8" across. Thickness is approximately 3/16"
      Attached Files

Comment

That stuff works well. Like you said, it doesn’t allow light in, that’s why I recommend it’s cousin, the clear version you can find at office depo.
        Azzurra
        Seattle, WA
        Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Thanks for the input!!!! Lots to think about, but it looks like I have some ideas!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Curtains make a difference. I have them for windows And they help heat or cold inside. I have a lot of windows and on a 40°F day with sun and the curtains open, the boat stays about 70° w/o heat sources on. If I left them open when the sun gets low, it would quickly be 60° or less. I'm due to change my curtains and will go to thicker material and hopefully get more insulative value.
            What also works is outside canvas covers for the windows, but a lot of trouble on a liveaboard. Like old trailers, before thermopane windows, adding a plexiglass inside window to make a trapped air space also helps. You almost can't have too much insulation. Where I have hatches going to the top deck, in the winter, I fit a 1" piece of Styrofoam below the hatch cover to make an air space. That made a big difference, too. I'm in the slow process of pulling all the paneling on the main deck and putting a Styrofoam sheet down first. Where I'm done, the panels feel noticeably warmer.

Comment

My hatches all have canvas covers to keep the light out. I have never felt like I lost any heat through the hatches.
              Azzurra
              Seattle, WA
              Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Originally posted by janice142 View Post
                I have reflectix -- bought at Lowes (not available at Home Depot) by the roll. Approximately $50 if memory serves me. It is a bubble wrap with metal (thin!!!) on both sides. The theory is that it will reflect heat (out or in)

The reality is it is Better than nothing but not the be all and end all I was hoping for. The reflectix does still feel cold on the windows.
                Yes, i would buy it again.

What I like: It is easy to cut (scissors) and stays put in the window frame without any issues. It is stiffer than bubble wrap.
                What I don't care for: When it is up in the windows I cannot see out. It is cave-like and for me I noticed my spirit sagged inside the boat. I need to see out.

I also have pieces cut for my round portlights which is great when I don't want any light disturbing me.

Good luck. And if you'd like me to put a small piece in an envelop, I could do that. It is essentially bubble wrap (small bubbles) with a thin layer of aluminum foil on each side.

Another thing: The aluminum foil does not tear like the cheap stuff you get at discount stores. When placed long term in windows though, the silvery part does start to wear off. For the price, I was satisfied (just can't deal with the total darkness issue)

Reflectix from today's article:
                [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name: FrogByMoss.jpg Views: 1 Size: 238.8 KB ID: 1300","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516203","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Each circle you see is 3/8" across. Thickness is approximately 3/16"
                Thanks Janice!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Not a livaboard but I watch two 38 in Ketchikan they both have the same heat and fans but I can tell you that mine has window covers and it is 60 degrees and the one I watch is 45 if I put cover on all my hatches and solan back window it will go up I stayed on it over Christmas about 20 out Side it was to warm if was thinking heat loss I would insulate window covers the con is you can't look out but hell it dark all the time
                  cheers
                  Roy
                  Ketchikan Alaska
                  1988 3818
                  EH 700
                  Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

I did make insulated curtains for a nearby boat -- fabric was white and when closed was close enough to black-out curtains to be at least in the same family. The fabric felt like a medium weight canvas. Inside was rubber liner, adhered to the outer white.

When closed it does keep the boat cooler in the summertime.

Picture:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	LaptopOnDesk.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	516206

I made that laptop desk from an old hatch for a nearby boat. Starboard attaches to bulkhead and it folds up when not in use. The owner bought a new boat last month and told me today he wants me to move it to his new boat. We are taking the curtains too. I'll remake them to fit the windows on the new boat.

They are real simple. I'm not a seamstress.
                    Good luck with your project. (I'd forgotten about the curtains as it was a couple years back that I made 'em.)

The owner though liked the laptop desk, which I thought was right nice of him.

Comment

I don't think it would make a difference. I think the fact that the entire boat is essentially non-insulated is the issue.

Comment

I use 3m Window Shrink Film on the inside:
                        https://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Win...46802308&psc=1

I have found it makes a huge difference. So much so, that I had to take it off one window to do some curtain work, and I could feel the difference. Also the window that I removed it from, had a layer of frost on the inside, while none of the other windows had frost. Once it is up, you do not even see it. They also make a kit for the outdoors, but that does not shrink tight. Next year I may do both the inside and out side, to get the triple pane effect.
                        Scott Jones
                        Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
                        Liveaboard Start Date 1/May/16

Comment

Working...
                        X