original electric heating ?-gctid348735

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ksanders wrote:
    If you are considering new heaters I'd try one first brfore you replace them all.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. The only difference you might find is that a certain heater might have a stronger fan, so it blows the heat around more.
    Careful... I have been down that road and got all sorts of opposition even if it is factual.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

wingless wrote:
      Everything on the power path needs to be sized to handle the entire load passing through those components.
      Your correct, I took a chance on wire size not knowing the total length of the runs. I seemed to get by with the modest increase in amperage 15amp- to 20amp, but your right I did take a chance. I did check to see if there was unacceptable heat at the connections at the breaker and it seemed to be ok. Bayliner used 12 gauge wire which should have been good enough.

Comment

kwb wrote:
        Careful... I have been down that road and got all sorts of opposition even if it is factual.
        The math is the math. Not much arguing with it.

Volts X amps = power in watts

1,000 watts for an hour is a kilowatt hour.

4,313 BTU per kilowatt hour

All electric heaters are 100% efficient.

Some might blow or project heat outwards, and you might feel the radient heat better, but in the end all you are doing is focusing the heat, not increasing it.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Scary wrote:
          Your correct, I took a chance on wire size not knowing the total length of the runs. I seemed to get by with the modest increase in amperage 15amp- to 20amp, but your right I did take a chance. I did check to see if there was unacceptable heat at the connections at the breaker and it seemed to be ok. Bayliner used 12 gauge wire which should have been good enough.
          Its generally recognized in the electrical industry that 12 AWG wire is suitable for any circuit protected by a 20 amp breaker.

Yes, you could measure wire length, but I've never seen a Journeyman Wireman do that. They just run #12 for 20 amp circuits.

Under the 80% rule you can have a continous draw of 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. This makes for a 1920 watt maximum load.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Working...
          X