X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb linkage

Hi Everybody
    greetings from chilly Canada
    i have a 96 Bayliner 2655 and am in the process of building a 350 vortec to replace the 350 tbi.i will be switching from a 2 barrel merc carb to a 4 barrel eidelbrock. Do i have to replace throttle linkage or will it bolt up?
    Other suggestions re best carb to use would also be appreciated.

the way a carb is set up to take the linkage can be different on different carbs. the model of the carb doesnt tell us this, but the build number of the carb would.... once you look and understand how the carb and linkage you currently have works together, then when you look at the proposed carb, you will understand if it will be compatible....

as for carb choices on a motor, you can make anything fit but the rochester quadrajet is the oem carb for GM V8 engines, and has worked quite well for many years... some people choose to run holleys, but I think the second most popular choice after the quadrajet is the carter/edlebrock AFB style.... some have experimented with webber carbs with some success, but its my opinion to go with that which is well proven and will hook up without too much modifying, such as the marine versions of either the quadrajet or edlebrock... ALWAYS use the marine version of any carb when its being ran in a boat, as it has a bit different design to keep any gasoline fumes out of the engine bay as much as is possible.

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
      the way a carb is set up to take the linkage can be different on different carbs. the model of the carb doesnt tell us this, but the build number of the carb would.... once you look and understand how the carb and linkage you currently have works together, then when you look at the proposed carb, you will understand if it will be compatible....

as for carb choices on a motor, you can make anything fit but the rochester quadrajet is the oem carb for GM V8 engines, and has worked quite well for many years... some people choose to run holleys, but I think the second most popular choice after the quadrajet is the carter/edlebrock AFB style.... some have experimented with webber carbs with some success, but its my opinion to go with that which is well proven and will hook up without too much modifying, such as the marine versions of either the quadrajet or edlebrock... ALWAYS use the marine version of any carb when its being ran in a boat, as it has a bit different design to keep any gasoline fumes out of the engine bay as much as is possible.
      I have a Weber carb on my boat and have had no problems with it, and from looking online the edlebrock 4v carbs for boats looks just like my Weber, also in my dumber days when I spent more money on my car engines then I did on food I had one that had an AFB and it was less trouble than most people had with there Holly's. I think a Qjet is a good and easy carb to work on.
      I to agree with Centerline as to only use a carb that is a marine version.
      1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
      1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
      1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
      10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
      1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
      "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Carter AFB, Weber, Edelbrock. Same same.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
          That is what I thought.
          Sane same, I have not heard that in about 50 years.
          "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            50 years? I thought I was getting up there, You must have a few on me ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜†

having very little to do with the larger weber carbs over the years, I had no idea that weber made a carb nearly identical to the carter and edelbrock models.... its good to know, but I will continue on with my quadrajets.
          after a bit more looking, it also shows that carter was contracted to help produce the Qjet for GM, as the GM rochester plant couldnt keep up with demand in the 70's and 80's, and at one point carter was producing a larger number of the Qjets than GM was... and later, carter was producing the weber AFB for weber.. common knowledge to some, but I never cared who built what for who, and for the most part I still dont, but its always good to learn some more trivia/trivial information that I will undoubtedly soon forget.... ;-)

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys.
            build is going well and i will probably give the 600 cfm eidelbrock marine carb a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by M Delaney View Post
              Thanks a bunch guys.
              build is going well and i will probably give the 600 cfm eidelbrock marine carb a shot.
              The 1409 is a great carb. Itโ€™s a square bore so ensure your new intake manifold is also a square bore. The dual plane versions are preferred. Youโ€™ll likely need to alter the fuel line supply to the new carburetor as well, be sure to use the approved marine type fuel line and itโ€™s connections.
              ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

50 years? I thought I was getting up there, You must have a few on me ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜†
                I am just an old fart

Comment

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Iโ€™ll be up next๐Ÿคฃ
              Working...
              X