Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you haulout or have a diver?

Curious...

Do you haul your boat annually or have a diver change zincs, clean the bottom, etc???

I used to haul every year but my harbor quit letting us srub the bottom in the travellift slings, so i started hiring a diver, and just hauling every 3 years for bottom paint.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

same here, I have a regular diver 2-3 times a year check zincs and clean. when he says it's getting to nasty I haul out and redo bottom paint and change all the zincs. hauling out for me is a huge deal. 5 hour cruise to get to the yard that can handle the boat and it's not cheap. Plus living aboard makes it tricky to find the right timing for everyone involved. Just got it done in February, had a 9 day window and worked out well. No lineups that time of year as we'll.

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
      Curious...

Do you haul your boat annually or have a diver change zincs, clean the bottom, etc???

I used to haul every year but my harbor quit letting us srub the bottom in the travellift slings, so i started hiring a diver, and just hauling every 3 years for bottom paint.
      We have a diver dive the boat 4 times a year. Haul out once every 18-24 months.

Comment

I spend my winter in fresh water and anytime I can when cruising. It makes a big difference in bottom growth. I go 3+ years between haulouts and usually get quotes for yards slow times. Haulout includes a pressure wash and I do any bottom work, buy paint where I want, etc. For zincs I hire a diver to check once a year. Thinking about buying a Hooka setup. I use to dive, but don't have the gear anymore. If I do dive, I'll buy a dry suit.

Comment

I use a diver each year. We sit mostly in fresh water at the mouth of a river. Only the keel is in brackish water. Diver costs me $115 per dive plus zincs. Total runs right at $315 total every 10-11 months. That is how long my bow and stern thruster zincs last, so they control the schedule.
          Will be hauling this year for bottom paint so no need for a diver. I get 5-7 years on bottom paint. Again the keel and running gear are the only parts that start to build up growth. My diver lets me know when it is time.

Comment

Speaking of diver services - we're in Skyline Marina in Anacortes. A lot of diver services listed. Any recommendations for zincs and a bottom inspection/rub/cleaning (we have a hard coat paint). I couldn't find any references after an admittedly limited search of the forum.
            Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”
            MMSI 368040470

Comment

Haul every year. My zinc only year costs $200 in zinc, $175 haulout including a light power washing, and an hour of labor $85 (unskilled). $500 including zinc and I get to see the bottom of the boat. If I am the last haul of the day, they will leave it on the sling overnight for free, but there is not a lot I can do these days. I can replace thru-hull hoses, tighten the PSS seals, etc.
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

• Knothome4788
                Knothome4788 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow - inexpensive (although you're at 34' and we're at 47'). Where do you have the haul and hang done?

• talman
                talman commented
                Editing a comment
                Seaview North. They have been a great boatyard for me since I've owned Wickus

Diver every six months and haulout when the bottom paint loses it's effectiveness. This time around it was almost 4 years.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Up in Blaine, WA I was told that divers are not allowed to clean hull bottoms. The environmentalists believe that doing so washes off chemicals into the water so one has to do a haulout to get the bottom cleaned there. Only one boat yard there does haul outs so I'm sure they love all the business.
                Any other areas have such restrictions? I hope it is not a trend.
                1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Working...
                X