Do you use “special” oil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use “special” oil???

I have an admission... When I repowwered my bosat my son talked me into using Royal Purple oil.

I am sure it’s really just another synthetic, but now I’m “hooked” I suppose.

Do you use normal dino oil, or a full on synthetic?

Do you think that synthetics actually extend engine life or are we just making ourselves feel good???

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

I have used Mobile 1 fully synthetic in all my cars since the early 70's. Fully synthetic is far superior to regular dino oil. The basic reason is that the molecules in the synthetic are all the same size while regular oil is made up of various size molecules that are larger. The synthetic flows at a much lower temp so circulates around your engine faster. It also can withstand much higher temps before breaking down so offers more protection to your engine in case of overheating ie cooling line clogs or lets go. Also as the synthetics molecules are all the same size they act like little tiny roller bearings greatly reducing wear on you engines bearings and moving parts. Back in the early 70' a friend of mine bought a brand new Honda 750 motorcycle. We took it to the track and ran a quarter mile. Then dumped the oil and put in Mobile 1 and re-ran the quarter. Result is the second run shaved 1.25 seconds off the first run time. I think you can see what I use.

Comment

Chevron delo 100 was developed for 2cycle Detroit engines. Shell T1 also meets the requirements. Cheveron delo 400 and Shell T4 were developed for 4 cycle diesels. Anything more is a waste of money. If using synthetic makes you feel good go ahead, these engines will never fail because you chose one of these oils.

modern, high reving engines and exotic alloy engines do require synthetic lubricants and using the wrong lubricant can cause catastrophic damage.

Azzurra
      Seattle, WA
      Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

I use Shell T4 in my Cat motors, mostly because it’s $15 a gallon instead of $20 a gallon for Chevron Delo 400.
        Azzurra
        Seattle, WA
        Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Personally I think I am making myself feel good. Up here the Royal Purple is $38 a gallon vs the DELO for around $15 a gallon.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

In the 3208 T/As I use Valvoline 15-40. However, per Twin Disc instructions I use CAT TDTO SAE 30.
            ASD LIVING THE DREAM!!

Comment

ASD, i’m Sure you are using Valvoline heavy duty diesel 15-40, which is the same as the delo 400 or T-4.
              Azzurra
              Seattle, WA
              Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

• Alaskan Sea-Duction
                Alaskan Sea-Duction commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep it is. Premium Blue.

Delo and Valvoline the same?

The bigger issue to engine life is clean oil. It doesn't matter what oil you put in your engines if you allow it to get too dirty. If buying a cheaper oil gets the oil changed more often, then it's better than the expensive stuff. Or you can do what I do and centrifuge the oil. I run my oil thru the centrifuge after a run when it's hot about every 50 hours. And I test the oil prior to the centrifuge. I haven't done an actual oil change since 2011 and paid for the centrifuge a couple times over.

Comment

Not sure what brand of oil was in my engine when I bought 10 yrs ago. I have been using Delco and change filters every 100 hrs. Have seen no issues....
                1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
                12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
                MMSI# 367650430
                FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Comment

• Alaskan Sea-Duction
                  Alaskan Sea-Duction commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I change my oil roughly once a year. The last two changes were at 350 hours. I cruise SE Alaska during the summer. When I change the oil, I send in samples for testing. 2800 hours on the Cat 3208 T/As and still going strong.

My Cummins 6BT's get Valvoline or Rotella 15-40...per Cummins every year or 300 hours, whatever comes first. Cummins recommends NOT using synthetic.

My motorcycle and RAM EcoDiesel gets synthetic...
                1988 '38 "Liberty"
                Cummins 6BT'S 210hp
                Navigating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Lepke View Post
                  The bigger issue to engine life is clean oil. It doesn't matter what oil you put in your engines if you allow it to get too dirty. If buying a cheaper oil gets the oil changed more often, then it's better than the expensive stuff. Or you can do what I do and centrifuge the oil. I run my oil thru the centrifuge after a run when it's hot about every 50 hours. And I test the oil prior to the centrifuge. I haven't done an actual oil change since 2011 and paid for the centrifuge a couple times over.
                  I really like that idea, especially for the generators. 300 hours is not very long if you run it a lot on the hook. Changing oil is one of those very annoying tasks for me, between getting the stuff and disposing of it in particular, anything that would give me more freedom is worth a look. Any tips on brand/type lepke?

Comment

Originally posted by nickp View Post
                    My Cummins 6BT's get Valvoline or Rotella 15-40...per Cummins every year or 300 hours, whatever comes first. Cummins recommends NOT using synthetic.

My motorcycle and RAM EcoDiesel gets synthetic...
                    funny, my cummins factory does recommend using synthetic, but with a stern warning, if you change to synthetic, never go back to non synthetic.

Comment

of interest with oils, BMW forbids using synthetic on the boxer engine for the first 20K. they say the engine will not break in at all. After that they recommend it.

Comment

For the cummins 450c series I changed to Valvoline 15/40 synthetic. for the westerbeke generators factory recommends traditional oil so it runs 5/40 mineral.

Comment

I was at west marine picking up some oil for the generator. They had Delo 400 ISOSYN on sale for $15. Came in a blue bottle with a red cap. Red caps has always been what marked synthetic for Chevron. I got home and poured it into the generator. It didn’t look synthetic so I looked at the bottle more carefully. The data was confusing so I went on line. Guess what, despite being called ISOSYN, it’s just Delo 400. Ok, no big deal, that is what I went to buy. However, I thought I was getting a deal, $15 a gallon is what I normally pay, while I didn’t get ripped off, I was miss lead into thinking I was getting something more.
                          Azzurra
                          Seattle, WA
                          Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Working...
                          X