New Liveaboard Fire Safety idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Liveaboard Fire Safety idea

I have a new idea for liveaboards in the realm of Fire Safety.

It might sound stupid or unneeded to some, but to be it sounds like a great inexpensive idea.

On my boat and I suspect a lot of Liveaboard sized boats the main electrical panel is right next to the shore power inlets. On my boat this space also encompasses a large electronics cabinet where the boats networking and satellite com gear are located.

Yesterday I bought a networrked smoke alarm to put in this area. That way is anything like a shore power inlet gets hot to the point of smoking, the smoke traped in this small area will set off the alarm.

On my boat all the fire alarms are tied together wirelessly through my alarm system so if one goes off even if it’s buried deep in the electrical locker or in the engine room the boats sirens all go off right away.

Maybe a boat fire can be prevented by this???? Never Know!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Good idea. A simple house hold smoke detector tin the electrical cabinet could alert you to an issue before it became a fire potential.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Originally posted by Tiltrider1 View Post
      Good idea. A simple house hold smoke detector tin the electrical cabinet could alert you to an issue before it became a fire potential.
      Thanks, that was my thought!

Seems a melted shore power connector probably smokes long before it catches fire

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        I have a new idea for liveaboards in the realm of Fire Safety.

It might sound stupid or unneeded to some, but to be it sounds like a great inexpensive idea.

On my boat and I suspect a lot of Liveaboard sized boats the main electrical panel is right next to the shore power inlets. On my boat this space also encompasses a large electronics cabinet where the boats networking and satellite com gear are located.

Yesterday I bought a networrked smoke alarm to put in this area. That way is anything like a shore power inlet gets hot to the point of smoking, the smoke traped in this small area will set off the alarm.

On my boat all the fire alarms are tied together wirelessly through my alarm system so if one goes off even if it’s buried deep in the electrical locker or in the engine room the boats sirens all go off right away.

Maybe a boat fire can be prevented by this???? Never Know!
        Network smoke alarms? Great idea. Are you also able to monitor the alarms remotely via cell phone?

1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
        1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
        1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
        2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
        Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
        South Bay Marina

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeman View Post

Network smoke alarms? Great idea. Are you also able to monitor the alarms remotely via cell phone?
          Absolutly

If there is an alarm I get a notification.

I can also open up the alarm system app and see all my devices and their status.

I even get a notification if a device goes offline, and can set battery percentage thresholds.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Nice. If my marina has a strong Wi-Fi, would the system you have function the same way? I understand that you have on-board wireless correct? Any recommendations on what type system to look for?
            1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
            1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
            1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
            2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
            Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
            South Bay Marina

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeman View Post
              Nice. If my marina has a strong Wi-Fi, would the system you have function the same way? I understand that you have on-board wireless correct? Any recommendations on what type system to look for?
              My opinion is that any and all wireless devices on your boat need to talk only to your boats router.

Your boats router then provides the connection to the internet. This connection can be through your mariunas wifi if you prefer, or through one or more cellular providers.

I am a big fan of cradlepoint brand routers for this application. They are easy to program and allow the use of any brand of cellular carrier.

www.cradlepoint.com

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
              X