600 watt solar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600 watt solar install

In case anyone wonders about how much solar to use around the 46th parallel I just tested my new install. 2 x 300 watt panels. Here are some readings taken off of the controller lcd through part of the day. Loads were fluctuating as the refrigerator cycles on and off and we made coffee in our kcup Brewer. It was a clear sunny day.

8 amps, 12.4 volts at 8:00
    18.5 amps 13.2 volts at 9:30
    27 amps, 13.5 volts 11:30
    27 amps 14 volts 13:00
    20 amps, 14.3 volts at 14:00
    20 amps, 14 volts at 15:00

Right about what I expected and quit satisfied.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

What panels did you use?

Do you know how many amp hours you got in a 24 hour period?

I am thinking of adding solar panels to the flybridge brow of my 4788

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

2.canadian solar panels. We headed home at 3pm so I didn't track after that. Next weekend I will try to remember.to make a note.ofy 24.hiur total for a couple of days.
      ​​​
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian

Comment

Can you take a picture of your install and post it please? Are these the flexible or solid panels? I would love to install panels on the brow of our 4788 as well.
        Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by stargazerwa View Post
          Can you take a picture of your install and post it please? Are these the flexible or solid panels? I would love to install panels on the brow of our 4788 as well.
          +1

I'd love to see photos of the installation.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I wish I had a photo from the top down. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how I did it. I had a unique situation with a Bimini frame that is built like a tuna tower. These are rigid panels. I have used flexible on my former sailboat and would use them again if the application warranted that. I would advise against flexible panels mounted directly into fiberglass as that would kill them as they heat.up unable to dissipate the heat. If placing on canvas be sure.to shop for panels that the manufacturer will stand by their warranty in that application. I had panels from renogy fail and they covered them. I wanted replacements from them but they stopped selling them due to the high failure rate. I found replacements from another.company that did fine.
            Tony Bacon,
            Washougal, WA
            Caspian

Comment

Here is a better view of the rail attached to the brackets.
              Tony Bacon,
              Washougal, WA
              Caspian

Comment

Tony,
                Sounds like you have put together a nice system! I would enjoy learning about it and some of the experience you learned on the install. What kind on controls did you use?
                2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Alameda CA

Comment

You have the perfect spot for that install, looks sharp. I had read elsewhere, as you point out, that applying the panels directly to fiberglass is problematic due to heat. That’s too bad, the 4788 has the perfect location on the PH roof for an install of flex panels. I am hoping a 4788 owner with a system will chime in an share their install.
                  Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by stargazerwa View Post
                    You have the perfect spot for that install, looks sharp. I had read elsewhere, as you point out, that applying the panels directly to fiberglass is problematic due to heat. That’s too bad, the 4788 has the perfect location on the PH roof for an install of flex panels. I am hoping a 4788 owner with a system will chime in an share their install.
                    hmmm

My thought was to put the panels directly on the pilothouse roof as you posted. If I cannot do that then the project looses much of it’s appeal to me.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I'll chime in....
                      I mounted 3 230W panels above the FB bimini. The solar panel rack/frame is supported by the bimini frame (which I added structural support to) and the radar arch. I will provide pictures and detail by tomorrow. These panels provide sufficient charge for my six golf cart house batteries. We recently spent 3 1/2 weeks moored out and only had to start the generator once every 3 - 4 days to make hot water.
                      Greg A.
                      1994 4788
                      "Simplicity"
                      2002 Capri 175
                      "Little GFI"
                      Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

• Woodsea
                        Woodsea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That sounds terrific! Thanks! Anything special about the install? Controller?

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                      Tony,
                      Sounds like you have put together a nice system! I would enjoy learning about it and some of the experience you learned on the install. What kind on controls did you use?
                      I installed a 40amp mppt controlar from solar epic. The setup is really simple. Think of it as a battery charger that.gets power from the panels instead of shore power or genset. I would be willing to do a write up on my blog.and post a link here if there is interest. I am trying to document all of the improvements I have undertaken there. I am a year behind.
                      Tony Bacon,
                      Washougal, WA
                      Caspian

Comment

Greg, thank you would love to see pictures of your install. That is an impressive amount of charging, your weather is a bit sunnier than our area and certainly sunnier than Seward, I would be happy to just not run the generator as much and to not draw down our batteries so low.

Tony, a write up would be interesting especially in how it connects to the boats electrical system.

Kevin, I wonder if the flex panels where installed over the PH using some sort of low heat conducting spacer strips like aluminum so that air could flow behind the panels? Thoughts?
                        Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Okay. I will write it up but here's the spoiler:

As I said the controller is like a battery charger. There are 3 sets of connections on the charger each with a positive and a negative. One set goes to the batteries. I installed a breaker in the positive battery wire next to the controller. I use it more as a switch than a breaker though. The wire coming out of the breaker goes to the positive terminal on the house battery. The negative wire of course goes to the negative house battery terminal. Another set goes to the panels. I installed another breaker under the upper helm in the positive wire to the panels. The third connection set on the controller is for a load and I am not using that as the house loads exceed its capacity.

For a spacer material between flexible panels and the boat maybe that white corrugated plastic stuff would suffice. Air could flow through that.

Tony
                          Tony Bacon,
                          Washougal, WA
                          Caspian

Comment

I posted to my blog. It isn't pretty like other blogs but I don't have time to fuss around with the appearance.

http://www.caspiansjourney.com/2019/...lar-power.html
                            Tony Bacon,
                            Washougal, WA
                            Caspian

Comment

• Woodsea
                              Woodsea commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Terrific write up on your blog! Thank you!
                          Working...
                          X