Need Electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Electrical help

I have a 1996 3587 Bayliner. I have 2 50 Amp 125V/250V inlets. I am on a dual 30 amp pedestal.. So I have a spliter that connect to the x2 30AMP outlets on the pedestal to one 125V/240V cord then another spliter that goes into the boat 50AMP 125V/240V inlets. So yes, I have just one cord going to the boat. This should be more than enough to power the boat. However, when running both A/C units (both on different lines) the breaker on the pedestal trips. When I run just one it's fine. Not sure why the breaker keeps tripping. What is the solution? I spent a lot of money getting everything replaced, plugs, cords, new breaker on the panel and labor. Only to have the same result of a breaker tripping. After a lot of time and money I was told just go to a 50 amp pedestal. Please help.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like your AC is pulling more amperage than the 2 x 30 amp breaker will allow. The boat has 2 x 50 amp inlets so looks like your trying to pull 100 amp from 60 being supplied.
    P/C Bob Hicks JN
    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Thanks for your input Bob. I am thinking my A/C units might need to be replaced as well. i am going to dock to a 50 amp pedestal thins weekend and see what happens.

Comment

I don't think you need to replace anything! You have 2 AC loads (AC1 and AC2) that draw in different currents (Say I1 and I2). These currents start from two separate outlets at the pedestal, get merged onto a single shore cable and then split up to the two AC's and their return paths do the same. There is no assurance that whatever current had left the two outlets wil return back to them in exactly the same way, so the GCI breaker trips. Assume one AC unit draws 10 amps and the other draws 20 amps. The shore cable will carry a combined total of 30 amps and 30 amps will come back on the neutral of the shore cable as well. If these split eveny as 15 amps going to each of the sockets then the sockets see they have sent out 10 amps (20 amps) and received 15 amps (15 amps), each. Current going out on the Line wire being unequal to current coming on the Neutral wire, will trip the GCI.

Your set up won't work!
        Retired, computer expert / executive
        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
        [email protected]
        [email protected]

Comment

I believe MonteVista is spot on for the current situation with these new GCI pedestal connections. I have visited a few marinas in the Pacific Northwest and noticed the only way the bigger boats are able to connect to two GCI 30-amp connectors at the dockside was by using a Smart-Y connector.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hubb...-adapter-yq230

Click image for larger version  Name:	Smart-Y.PNG Views:	0 Size:	146.0 KB ID:	518754
          MY 3988
          M/V MMPOWRD
          Poulsbo, WA

Comment

It depends on where/how the splitter is used! This has nothing to do with a "smart" outlet. There is no way (that I can see for a splitter that merges 2 SOURCE outlets onto a single shore cable will work because there is no way to assure that each of the source outlets will receive the same amount of current that they each provide from their Line outputs.
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

Comment

Two 30A (60A total) sourcing two 50A (100A total) is the problem. With two AC systems on plus your other power consumers it probably reached near 60A and the more sensitive breaker went first.

If it was me I would look-up and list all the nominal and max operating currents for each item and then add up what you were using when it blew. You will probably find you were near 60A.
              It's all a dream
              '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

There is only one way where this may work. IF, the two shore outlets are BOTH powered by the same AC Line/Neutral pair AND if they SHARE a single GCI circuit breaker such that GCI trips based on total amps then you can merge them with a Y-Adapter without tripping the GCI. In other words, the shore outlets should each have a current-limiting circuit breaker and a separate GCI breaker that operates on BOTH. Indeed, this may be how a shore pedestal may be wired; individual current-limiting breakers for each outlet and a single, common GCI for all.

Personally, whether it works or not, I would NOT connect two legs of the same Y-adapter to a single shore panel since, if the two outlets are fed by two different phases you would short the outlets. I have seen many so-called marinas where a local technician has wired the outlets with the wrong polarity and I don't trust them not to have connected different phases to separate outlets.

NOTE: The HUBBEL "smart" Y-Adapter will not work here since it specifically states that the two outlets must be on separate phases and also the boat must be using a center-tapped (on the output side) isolation transformer.

Good luck
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

Comment

All thanks for your feedback. If fact a bite overwhelming fora a novice such as I. Crazy thing is, I have a buddy right next to my slip and he has a 1996 3988 (i think that the model) and he connects (using adapters) two 50 amp 125V shore power cords to the two 30 amp pedestal connection and runs his entire boat with nothing tripping.

So with all this feedback. What solution is the correct one? Do I need to just move to a 50 amp pedestal?

Comment

If your friend's connection works yours MAY also work.! We have to figure out why your's does't. NOTE, I still do NOT recommend using the Y legs of an adapter to connect to different outlets on the pedestal. Be that as it may ... You should test just one leg (at a time) of your set up to power AC1 or AC2 on your boat. If that works, connect both ends of the adapter to the pedestal and still connecting AC1 only or AC2 only to see if that works. Finally, connect the full set up and turn on just AC1, power ON the AC2 unit but don't start the pump. If circuit breaker doesn't trip and it trips only when you bring AC2 pump you may have an over-current issue exceeding what 2 x 30amp sockets can deliver.

You may also want to test your cable/adapters on your friend's boat to see if that works.

Do you know if the pedestal has a GCI breaker or not?
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks MonteVista, I am working with the Marina and trying to trouble shoot. I want to set it up with two different inlets and see how that goes.

Comment

Fortunately, it appears the 30amp receptacle you plugged into are on the same phase. Things could have gotten exciting if they were not.
                        Irony
                        1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
                        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Originally posted by Don9 View Post
                          Two 30A (60A total) sourcing two 50A (100A total) is the problem. With two AC systems on plus your other power consumers it probably reached near 60A and the more sensitive breaker went first.

If it was me I would look-up and list all the nominal and max operating currents for each item and then add up what you were using when it blew. You will probably find you were near 60A.
                          Don9 has it right . . . . no matter how you're connected with those splitters - you're still limited to your 50A cable limits. Can't put two 30 lb pigs into a 50 lb sack!! One AC is fine and probably pulling under the 50A limit . . . add the other one and boom! you're over the limit . . . breaker trips. You have two 50A outlets (inputs into your boat) for a reason . . . you need two cables with each carrying 50A!
                          1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                          Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                          WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                          James H. Stradling

Comment

Originally posted by Dadrock33 View Post

........- you're still limited to your 50A cable limits........
                            Limit is the circuit breaker, not the cable. The fact that you did not blow a fuse when you connect the adapter to two outlets on the pedestal means those outlets are powered on the same incoming phase. My guess is you are blowing the main circuit breaker that protects the phase. In other words, each output can carry 30A but expectation may be that NOT both outlets shall be carying 30A simultaneously. Either the main circuit breaker is overly aggressive or it might be a 50A breaker.

Still, I have diagrams of pedestal wirings where alternate outlets are wired to different phase of incoming AC such that connecting two outlets to the Y-legs of an adapter is a non-no.

[email protected]
                            [email protected]

Comment

• Dadrock33
                              Dadrock33 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Agreed, Monte . . . I never want to assume that he understood my meaning. The breaker protects the cable.

All thanks for your feedback. I have recently purchased two 50Amp Female to 30 Amp male adapters and run two lines into the boat. All is working as it should.

With that said, I now move on to other projects/

Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated.

1. Fresh Water holding tank sending unit. When I check the gauage on the panel it always says 1/4 tank regardless if the holding tank is empty or full.

2. Port and Starboard Fuel gauges do not work. The Starboard side will work after fill up and burn down to about 3/4 tank. But still bounces all over. Port side is Non functional.

3. Port side RPM gauge will read higher than normal and if you tap it is falls back to in line with the RPMs of the starboard engine.

Looking for helpful step one ideas and or where is the best place to get parts for a 1996 3587 Bayliner.

Comment

Working...
                            X