Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What amperage shore power do you have? Is it enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What amperage shore power do you have? Is it enough?

What amperage shore power conmnection do you have?
    Is it enough?

I have a electric stove and oven. That means I have to carefully manage my shore power use.

A single 30A shore power connection is barely enough to get by.
    My marina allowed me to upgrade my slip to a 50 amp service (at my expense). This helped a bunch.

How do you work around shore power limitations?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

We have 30 amp but all cooking is done with propane. The last boat was all electric. Would not go back to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Clifton
      We have 30 amp but all cooking is done with propane. The last boat was all electric. Would not go back to that.
      I feel like a loner with my like for the electric stove. It seems I’m the only one that likes them.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I have both, a 30 amp and 50 amp, in case there are Marinas that only have one or the other. Propane stove.

Comment

We have dual 30 A at our slip. This is more than sufficient for our needs.

Comment

I have a 30 amp shore plug so need to power watch a little. Most heat and cooking is via an Adriatic oil stove.
            To use the dryer I need to start the generator,
            The vessel has multiple voltage systems.
            Ted

Comment

I use 50-125/250. In other words I have two 50 amp circuits. One circuit is reserved for heating/AC and the washe/dryer. The other circuit is for everything else.
              Azzurra
              Seattle, WA
              Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

50 amp or 14 kw generators. 50 amp was plenty w/o air conditioning. I live and stay in a cool climate. I run AC about 5 days a year. Boat had electric stove, went to diesel. Couldn't see running a generator to cook. Also 120/240 inverter when off power. All my lights (except emergency) are AC, 50 gallon water heater, double door reefer and 2 small freezers. Diesel stove will also heat water.

Comment

I have a 50 amp, use multiple electric heaters and humidifier in the winter. I use plugs that either are not being used like reverse cycle AC or washer dryer, microwave or any big appliance not n use and swap running only one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders

I feel like a loner with my like for the electric stove. It seems I’m the only one that likes them.
                    Your not alone, i like it as well. Funny at the house i prefer gas, but on the boat i prefer electric. the difference is on land the natural gas is unlimited so its fine, on the boat i dont want propane canisters to worry about. Diesal stove i had on the work boats in my youth, like them but not enough to rip out the existing kitchen.

for shore power i have 50amp/250 x 2. One is dedicated to heat (pnw) as it uses 35amps and the other runs all else. It was a bit of a mistake, when i bought the boat it had no heat, and it was late october. Fastest way to joy was a forced air electric but in my newness i forgot to check the amps it draws.

Comment

I have 50/125/250 on my 3988 Bayliner. It is more than adequate, even for winter heating.
                      I have moved several breakers to have a balanced load on both legs.
                      I also liberally use dielectric grease on all connections for the cord.

Comment

We have twin 30amp service that I run off a 50amp pole with a converter/splitter.
                        We are only using one side currently. I need to work on one 30A side that I have an issue with.
                        John
                        1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
                        (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

We have 30 amp service. Though all it does is power the charger leg of our inverter. Electric stove and oven. Primary heat is propane with two small electric secondary heaters. Two dehumidifiers always running. Average consumption is about 11 amps total. I love my inverter system. Our last boat had 50 amp service and was popping breakers left and right.

Comment

Living on a boat requires much of the power many require living in a small house.

A 50 amp servvice on a boat is like a 100 amp for a small house depending on appliances installed.

I can't imagine living aboard with less than a 50A 125/250V inlet...can you do it...sure but why? Even with diesel heat and propane cooking it is nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Psneeld View Post
                              Living on a boat requires much of the power many require living in a small house.

A 50 amp servvice on a boat is like a 100 amp for a small house depending on appliances installed.

I can't imagine living aboard with less than a 50A 125/250V inlet...can you do it...sure but why? Even with diesel heat and propane cooking it is nice to have.
                              I agree!!! if I only have a 30A shore power I end up running my generator anyway

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X