battery explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery explosion

As im going over all the batteries and electrical DC system and redoing the ends, adding fuses, cleaning up and stuff, the battery behind me exploded. No one hurt, couldn't hear for a half hour or so, but damn that was something. Because im working on the batteries, the cover was not on, so quite a mess as we'll. Another day in the life...

Originally posted by michel View Post
    As im going over all the batteries and electrical DC system and redoing the ends, adding fuses, cleaning up and stuff, the battery behind me exploded. No one hurt, couldn't hear for a half hour or so, but damn that was something. Because im working on the batteries, the cover was not on, so quite a mess as we'll. Another day in the life...
    Glad nobody got hurt, and glad your boat is not badly damaged!

That has got to be Scary!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Michel, I must verbally spank you. Battery explosions are caused by not maintaining proper water levels. Glad you are okay. You had a short in one of the cells and it boiled all the water out. Once the water is gone you get a spark and the hydrogen gas in the battery goes, well you know, KABOOM!!! My guess is you have had those batteries for awhile.
      Azzurra
      Seattle, WA
      Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

They came with the boat. They were sealed agm, so no water to checked or added. i still need spanking, the charger went defective a while back, and must of boiled the battery then. Replaced the charger a few weeks ago, it ran fine and charged up the battery or so it seemed.

the other night i switched off all the chargers so i could work on the cabling and when i turned it back on after a while is when it happened.

so i of course should of replaced that battery back when the charger malfuntioned, but didnt know any better.

Comment

Catch up maintenance is hard when you don’t know what was neglected by the PO. Hopefully this is your worst surprise. When I first bought my current boat it was easy. I knew everything was bad.
          Azzurra
          Seattle, WA
          Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Well I am glad there was nothing worse, though heavens to betsy battery acid in a bilge is not to be taken lightly. Lot of water, and neutralize the battery acid. Also, pay particular attention to any electrical connections. They might not be a problem today but can be in a month or six. I would clean all, then spray with Boeshield T-9 ... (do check with experts though for more detailed advice)

P.S. - I wrote an article recently on my Cheater Method for keeping tabs on my battery banks. It may be of use to others

This is the link: http://janice142.com/Articles/Batter...terMethod.html

Comment

Thanks Janice, never heard of that stuff, ill see if i can find some here. Yes lots of neitralizing and spaying dow with hose. Hours of it, bigle is pretty sparkling rifht now.

Comment

Working...
              X