Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Alarm Company went out of business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Alarm Company went out of business!

Today, I was happily living my life until I go an email.

Dear customer I am sorry to say that we are leaving the alarm business effective March 31st.

I was to say the least pissed!

I have had a Lowes Iris alarm system for several years, and had a Huge investment in hardware, which for the most part is now Bricked.

Then I read down the page and they said they were offering cash to make the transition to another system easier.
    So I clicked on the link, and it read my system, and 5 minutes later there was a $513 dollar Prepaid Visa card in the mail!

I am still unhappy, but I’m $513 less unhappy now.

So, I had to choose a new alarm system. What I decided on is a product called Smartthings made by Samsung. I ordered a new hub and a bunch of sensors, and still had a couple hundred dollars left over for even more sensors!

I’ll post more about this as the hardware arrives, but so far I am pretty pleased. Especially since they have a 12 volt sensor that will allow me to remotey see ands set alarm points for my battery voltage! Yippee!

More to follow!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

I have the smarthing on my Samsung phone, apparently my tv and my washer/dryer use it as well. Now you tell me there is an alarm part as well. I think my refrigerator and I are the only dumb units left on the boat.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Yes, Smartthings is to the user an App by Samsung that talks to and controls Samsung devices.

One device Samsung makes is a “smartthings” hub which is the base unit for a Zigbee, and Zwave wireless network. Why Zigbee and Zwave instead of 802.11 WIFI??? That’s simple. Zigbee and Zwave are similar to bluetooth in that they pair one device to another, and are low power. That allows you to have battery operated devices that have a long battery life, something over a year in most cases. That allows you to have things that you don’t need to run wires to, which meand you end up with more sensors

One great thing about the Smartthings hub vs the Lowes Iris hub I have now is that the smartthings hub is pretty much open to any device that talks zigbee or zwave, vs the lowes hub only working with lowes approved devices.

One device that I’ll be testing in the coming weeks is a voltage and contact closure sensor made by Fortrezz caled the MIMO. What this device does is it can read 0-16 volts and set alarming based on voltage, making it suitable for a battery charger alarm. It can also act as a contact closure sensor for external devices like a relay to detect shore power outages.

I’ll be posting more about this as the new hardware starts showing up and I get a chance to experiment.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Working...
      X