Isolation Transformer use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isolation Transformer use

With more and more marinas converting to GFI.... How many are using a isolation transformer, or are planning on using one?

Here is a link to a good article about Isolation transformers

https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...ansformers.asp

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

I will hold out as long as I can. Those things are very expensive.....
    ASD LIVING THE DREAM!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
      I will hold out as long as I can. Those things are very expensive.....
      Yes, and shipping them to Alaska is hidious!

I need to get after it. A couple of months ago they checked all the boats for leakage currents in the Seward Harbor, so I know the next step is the new GFI system.
      My boat is wired properly, but I think I’m going to get ahead of the curce and put one in.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

When I brought my new to me 1989 Bayliner 4588 from Ontario Canada to Portsmouth, NH I held my breath at every marina. Never had a problem - even at Liberty Landing Marina across from lower Manhattan that had completed their upgrade less that a year ago. Knock on wood.
        1989 Bayliner 4588
        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

I dont get what the gfi has to do with it. Ive got one already but its really just for getting clean, steady power for all systems on board and its great for that. What is it aboit the "new gfi" that makes you need one ?

Comment

I’m installing isolation transformers to eliminate the potential of my boat tripping a shoreside GFI. Having one circuit/appliance on my boat that fails causing my entire boat to loose shore power is a unaccptable risk. Add to that the power quality issues you described, and for me now is the time to mitigate the issues by installing isolation transformers.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I also have a portable voltage booster that is out at the pedestal. If the volts drop to 208 it boosts them by 13%. Electricity can be such a hassle, so much fluctuation, if you are at the end of a run, or older marina, etc, etc that causes various electronics to die early.

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                I also have a portable voltage booster that is out at the pedestal. If the volts drop to 208 it boosts them by 13%. Electricity can be such a hassle, so much fluctuation, if you are at the end of a run, or older marina, etc, etc that causes various electronics to die early.
                The voltage booster sounds interesting.

I worry about voltage fluctuactions as well, but do not have a good solution other than changing out my inverter/charger for a straight inverter only, so that it supplies the loads.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Well, I ordered two of the Charles Industries isolation transformers today.

The more I read about the issues including swimmer safety, galvanic corrosion, etc... The more confident I am that this is the right solution.

Will post more once they are installed. They are a lead time item, so it might be a month or so before I get them hooked up.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

• Alaskan Sea-Duction
                    Editing a comment
                    And where did you purchase this fine item of technology?

• ksanders
                    ksanders commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have a wholesale account, but Defender sells them for what I pay for them.

That was a tough call. its one of those items that simply sit there and does the job its supposed to. It pays off in the long term the same way a solid foundation with proper drainage does. it doesnt even have any flashing sexy lights eheh. the money spent will be long forgotten as you enjoy the continuous benefits and piece of mind.

as well, its one of those items that last a long time and requires no maintenance. I have a pair as well, they are 18 years old, i epext them to outlast me.

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                    That was a tough call. its one of those items that simply sit there and does the job its supposed to. It pays off in the long term the same way a solid foundation with proper drainage does. it doesnt even have any flashing sexy lights eheh. the money spent will be long forgotten as you enjoy the continuous benefits and piece of mind.

as well, its one of those items that last a long time and requires no maintenance. I have a pair as well, they are 18 years old, i epext them to outlast me.
                    You are soo right. When looking at things to buy for the boat, things that have visual or functional appeal seem to get prioritized. It’s probably thwe same for everybody I suppose.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Must be, ive just spent a couple of boat bucks to get fuses and holders and crimps to clean up and protect the 12V systems. Piece of mind is not sexy, but it surw is pricey.

Comment

I don’t think going to isolation transformers to be a mistake. Many advantages and the only disadvantage is money. They are not necessary to make your boat GFI compliant. Blue seas makes an ELIC breaker. An ELIC breaker trips automatically when there is any voltage leakage. In fact I grabbed a hot circuit for just a second yesterday day and the breaker tripped just as I felt the first jolt. I have discovered that there is a flaw with my Dremel Tool. Every time I plug it in the ELIC trips. So once you add an ELIC you won’t need To worry about tripping a new GFI dock.
                        Azzurra
                        Seattle, WA
                        Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Originally posted by Tiltrider1
                          I don’t think going to isolation transformers to be a mistake. Many advantages and the only disadvantage is money. They are not necessary to make your boat GFI compliant. Blue seas makes an ELIC breaker. An ELIC breaker trips automatically when there is any voltage leakage. In fact I grabbed a hot circuit for just a second yesterday day and the breaker tripped just as I felt the first jolt. I have discovered that there is a flaw with my Dremel Tool. Every time I plug it in the ELIC trips. So once you add an ELIC you won’t need To worry about tripping a new GFI dock.
                          I agree completely!

In going to a isolation transformer based solution I am really insuring that a future malfunction on my boat does not create a situation where I loose the ability to plug into shore power.

There are several other methods I could use to solve individual issues, but the transformer solves them all, and is a relatively easy to implement solution.
                          All it takes is logically breaking the line from the shore power inlet and inserting the isolation transformer into that circuit.

All the challenges of combining shore based power with my boats electrical system go away. My boat is then a separate entity, and just happens to recieve power from shore, it is never a part of the shore based system.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                          X