A idea for shore power optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A idea for shore power optimization

I have found something REALLY handy that helps me optimize shore power use, or over use as the case may be.

The challenge is that when doing different things, sometimes I can overload one of my 30 amp shore power connections, tripping it offline.

But...

If I run the loads through my inverter/charger panel and then set the shore power size at say 10 amps then if the load exceeds 10 amps the inverter/charger will use battery power to make up the difference.

here is a GREAT example... Cooking dinner I’m using the electric stove or oven. Same time the hot water heater happens to be on. Then I run the microwave and the 30A breaker can trip.

But... If I have the washer and ther microwave connected to the inverter panel and the shore power inlet set to 10 amps the inverter will keep it’s portion of the shore power usage to 10 amps. Combine that with 15 amps from the electric stove and we’re not overloading the shore power connection.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

I was casually looking at some details of some folks rhat daisy chain a couple of inverters to get 220 so they run the stove or washing machine from the inverter. Basically the inverter feed the electical pannel and the gen or shore power keeps the batteries going. And as you said, you can set the inverter amp breaker size accordingly so you dont pop the dock fuse.

so far dismiss the idea for my needs, i really dont mind running rhe generator at all, some folks seem to have really negative reaction to them.

its a good trick though, if dock at a 30amp marina i will certainly keep it in mind.

Comment

I use a Magnum MS4448PAE inverter that supplies 2 legs of 120v or 240v. My power runs thru it 24/7. If I have shore power, then it's a charger. When cruising I have a dedicated alternator for the house banks, so if the mains are running, I don't have to run a generator. If the power fails, the inverter switches to batteries without a blink. I can run anything on the boat with the inverter. My windlass is 240v, much better than 12v motors, cheaper, too. All my lights are 120v, except emergency lights and running lights. Big reefer, 2 freezers. Much better than running a generator all the time. I have 48v banks. You can use much smaller cables with 48v compared to 12v. It allows me to put additional banks some distance away from the inverter.

Comment

It does sound good and one of the possibilities im considering. how many batteries are you using to get the job done? My boat is setup similar to yours by the sounds of it, but the inverter doesnt do 220. I can add another one and stack them to get that, so its feasible.

currently i have a 12 volt house bank and an inverter bank, so its pretty flexible. Im currently going over the whole system and cleaning , fusing , labelling everything properly, as well as evaluating any improvements that can be made. A big task, completly outside my whell house but starting to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
          It does sound good and one of the possibilities im considering. how many batteries are you using to get the job done? My boat is setup similar to yours by the sounds of it, but the inverter doesnt do 220. I can add another one and stack them to get that, so its feasible.

currently i have a 12 volt house bank and an inverter bank, so its pretty flexible. Im currently going over the whole system and cleaning , fusing , labelling everything properly, as well as evaluating any improvements that can be made. A big task, completly outside my whell house but starting to get it.

My boat is set up for 120 volts AC and 12 volts DC.

It’s set up for extended time away from shore power with a 840 amp hour battery bank.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

yeah that's nice, I just changed the inverter batteries as we'll (it's what started this whole thing) to 975 amp hour. i'll see how it all holds up on the next outing.

Comment

Working...
            X